Search found 349 matches

by smiffy
Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:54 pm
Forum: Atheism, Philosophy and Religion
Topic: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion
Replies: 46
Views: 9004

Re: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion

Smiffy, I have read over this thread twice and all I see is you essentially saying „X does not show any understanding“ and „there are other ways of asking about god” and various other ways of telling people you think they are wrong. Nowhere do I find you telling us what you think we are missing, wh...
by smiffy
Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:49 pm
Forum: Atheism, Philosophy and Religion
Topic: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion
Replies: 46
Views: 9004

Re: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion

munsterdevil wrote:
smiffy wrote:For much theology, that's simply not the case.
So much of it believes in a being that you can see, and there is empirical evidence for?
Nope, but I think you're proving my point.
by smiffy
Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:37 pm
Forum: Atheism, Philosophy and Religion
Topic: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion
Replies: 46
Views: 9004

Re: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion

That's not true. To repeat my point, all I'm suggesting is that people know what they're talking about before making sweeping statements on a particular subject including, in this case, theology. That's all. And to repeat my point Theology is based on the the existence of an invisible supernatural ...
by smiffy
Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:16 pm
Forum: Atheism, Philosophy and Religion
Topic: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion
Replies: 46
Views: 9004

Re: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion

The basis of your argument is that people should study everything, including things that are likely wrong, because not doing so is not "in the spirit of rational enquiry". That's not true. To repeat my point, all I'm suggesting is that people know what they're talking about before making sweeping s...
by smiffy
Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:43 pm
Forum: Atheism, Philosophy and Religion
Topic: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion
Replies: 46
Views: 9004

Re: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion

is that not philosophy... Yes, it is. It's also theology. That's the point: theology isn't a single, easily definable subject and covers a broad range of disciplines. "what do we mean when we talk about God" ie why do we construct a gods? They're two different questions. And your question isn't rea...
by smiffy
Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:10 pm
Forum: Atheism, Philosophy and Religion
Topic: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion
Replies: 46
Views: 9004

Re: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion

lostexpectation wrote:is that not philosophy...
Yes, it is. It's also theology. That's the point: theology isn't a single, easily definable subject and covers a broad range of disciplines.
by smiffy
Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:08 pm
Forum: Atheism, Philosophy and Religion
Topic: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion
Replies: 46
Views: 9004

Re: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion

What different ways of thinking about leprechauns did you have in mind? You tell me, you're the one that believes we should try to understand the supernatural. Postedit: Grammatical error Firstly, I already said that I didn't really think there were different ways of thinking about leprechauns (not...
by smiffy
Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:18 am
Forum: Atheism, Philosophy and Religion
Topic: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion
Replies: 46
Views: 9004

Re: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion

munsterdevil wrote:
smiffy wrote:In what way?
In that if someone came up with different ways of 'thinking about leprechauns' should a person take them seriously
What different ways of thinking about leprechauns did you have in mind?
by smiffy
Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:11 am
Forum: Atheism, Philosophy and Religion
Topic: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion
Replies: 46
Views: 9004

Re: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion

munsterdevil wrote:
smiffy wrote:There isn't really.
Well then that means your argument of understanding theology is a waste of time.
In what way?
by smiffy
Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 pm
Forum: Atheism, Philosophy and Religion
Topic: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion
Replies: 46
Views: 9004

Re: Dan Dennett: The evolution of confusion

Rigsby wrote:We could equally ask, "what do we mean when we talk about leprechauns? There is more than one answer to that question".
There isn't really.