Disappointing your parents

General discussions
fintanruth

Post by fintanruth » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:16 am

Hi FXR

You seem to have found the softer side of your nature or so it seems.

So your mother is 83 years of age and you are 77 years of age according to your profile and you have posted 23.77% of all posts on this site.

You want Irish Atheist members to march with free Presbyterians in protest against the Popes visit.

Most members of Irish Atheists are genuine people, you are not.

Fintan

www.therealmoses.com
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:54 am

fintanruth wrote:Hi FXR

So your mother is 83 years of age and you are 77 years of age according to your profile and you have posted 23.77% of all posts on this site.

You want Irish Atheist members to march with free Presbyterians in protest against the Popes visit.

Fintan

www.therealmoses.com
Moanin' Whiner

Why don't you fuck off and write another pointless book or go lick your wounds under a bush. That at least would be the equivalent of you not going off topic.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
micfur

Post by micfur » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:30 am

FXR wrote:

Fintan

www.therealmoses.com
Moanin' Whiner

Why don't you fuck off and write another pointless book or go lick your wounds under a bush. That at least would be the equivalent of you not going off topic.
FXR, that post was uncalled for and does no credit to atheist.ie or yourself.
Passover

Post by Passover » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:11 pm

Families, eh. :roll: Just over year ago my aunt died, she was a great old bird with a mischievous sense of humour, an uncanny ability to sniff out a brandy from 400 yards :lol: and a noble kind of honesty. Because I was the oldest nephew and have experience in public speaking I was volunteered to read a lesson. I refused point blank. After the service the family gathered for a meal and a few drinks, but I noticed that a member of my family, who I had always got on with, was being particularly cold towards me. Eventually we found ourselves alone together and I decided to confront her:

Passover: "I have I done anything to offend you?"

Relative: "You wouldn't read a lesson at your own aunt's funeral. What kind of a man are you"?

Passover: "It's not that i wouldn't read a lesson, it's that I couldn't read a lesson. I may be many things, but a hypocrite is not one of them"

I want on to give her a brief outline of my atheism and how it's a central aspect of what I am, a huge part of what makes me, me. She accepted what I said without, I think, completely understanding my stance. So, to avoid any future embarrassments or confrontations, at the next family gathering I told them all that I was atheist, that religion repelled me and asked them all not to involve me any of their rituals. Some were shocked, some were saddened, some were sorry but they all realised how seriously and passionately I felt about my convictions. For me, the only way to deal with this issue is to confront it, and if family members are "hurt" then that is their problem.

Ps
A cousin of mine recently gave birth and she said "Well I suppose there's no point in asking you to be the Godfather" :P
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:00 pm

micfur wrote:
FXR wrote:

Fintan

www.therealmoses.com
Moanin' Whiner

You may have noticed this is a thread about telling parents and relatives about one's convictions. Its not titled "whiners corner". On two or three threads now he's gone off topic on some moan or other.

If he wants to whine he can start a new thread :roll:

I even thought of a title: The Ruth of all Moans. :lol:
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
CitizenPaine
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CitizenPaine » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:11 pm

The interesting thing about my family situation is that my daughter, aged 20 and a student, takes me to task for my non-belief. My wife is non-committed one way or the other and my son (21) shares my views (I think).

My daughter is on record as saying she's worried about me going to hell, but I believe my wife got around that by telling her "he's a good man in every other way so it'll likely be all right".

The thing is: Where did this religiosity in my daughter come from?

CitizenPaine
The moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (FitzGerald version)
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:10 pm

CitizenPaine wrote:The interesting thing about my family situation is that my daughter, aged 20 and a student, takes me to task for my non-belief. My wife is non-committed one way or the other and my son (21) shares my views (I think).

My daughter is on record as saying she's worried about me going to hell, but I believe my wife got around that by telling her "he's a good man in every other way so it'll likely be all right".

The thing is: Where did this religiosity in my daughter come from?

CitizenPaine
Peer pressure for a start. Your mates are into it and you don't want to feel left out. Then there is the fact that after two thousand years of brainwashing the mentality has seeped into everyday language. I mean for Gods sake in some ways it’s almost impossible to avoid unless you live on another planet. All our schools, hospitals and a huge number of our streets are named after some religious bugger. There is nary a human that can travel any distance in this country without passing a church. They preside over every BDM and have their own programs on our (sic) national station. It might be more amazing in some ways if she wasn’t religious. For some reason (all due respect to your daughter) women have some magnetic attraction to a religion that specifically rejects them.
It’s a funny old world....

Hey bring her to the Darwin dinner….I’ll be nice honest I will!

Better still buy her Eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven by Ute Ranke Heine-Mann.
CitizenPaine
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CitizenPaine » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:44 pm

FXR wrote: Better still buy her Eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven by Ute Ranke Heine-Mann.
Just ordered it from Amazon.com ($0.01 with $12.00 shipping cost). The reviews make me want to read it myself anyway. Can't give it to her - too obvious. My strategy in these cases is simply to leave it lying around. Natural curiosity will do the rest.

Btw - her characterisation of the people I'm having dinner with tomorrow night are my "Bible bashing friends".

CitizenPaine
The moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (FitzGerald version)
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:02 pm

CitizenPaine wrote:
FXR wrote: Better still buy her Eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven by Ute Ranke Heine-Mann.
Just ordered it from Amazon.com ($0.01 with $12.00 shipping cost). The reviews make me want to read it myself anyway. Can't give it to her - too obvious. My strategy in these cases is simply to leave it lying around. Natural curiosity will do the rest.

Btw - her characterisation of the people I'm having dinner with tomorrow night are my "Bible bashing friends".

CitizenPaine
Aw now I see the problem: she's mixing us up with the Bible Thumpers. They have a really bad name......
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:16 pm

FXR wrote:
micfur wrote:
FXR wrote:
Moanin' Whiner

You may have noticed this is a thread about telling parents and relatives about one's convictions. Its not titled "whiners corner". On two or three threads now he's gone off topic on some moan or other.

If he wants to whine he can start a new thread :roll:

I even thought of a title: The Ruth of all Moans. :lol:
In all fairness FXR I cant see where fintan is going wildly off topic and you seem to be the one dropping the smarmy remarks every time he posts.
FXR wrote:I went through a box of tissues reading that......(I was cleaning my computer screen :lol:)
FXR wrote:The above comments seemed to be based on a dream you had. While its nice to dream it would be better to stick to reality so other people can comment.
Now, kiss and make up :lol: