Urban dweller
67%
Rural dweller
33%

Total votes: 33
micfur

Are you an urban or rural atheist?

Post by micfur » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:02 pm

Just from something that was picked up on another thread. Are Irish atheists largely urban or rural based or perhaps there is an even split? Obviously the urban/rural line can be a little blurred, to the point of perhaps being meaningless but lets give it a go anyway. I would suggest a person would/should consider themselves urban if they live in a conurbation greater than a 10,000 people. Rural otherwise.

Now, before people get all uppity about my split between rural and urban, this is only a bit of fun and the line has to be drawn somewhere. Irish people seem to have a particular sensitivity to whether their village/town/city is actually a village/town/city. Witness the fun in Foxford Co. Mayo last year for example: http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/20 ... y37600.asp As a nation we tend to over estimate the population of our home towns for some strange reason.

The definition should extend to where you sleep at night. So if you commute from Kinegad to Dublin for work you are rural where as if you go to college in Cork and return at the weekends to the wilds of west Cork then you are urban.
Neesik

Post by Neesik » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Very much rural, 22 miles out of town, and that's only a small town, by your definition of urban (10,000 people) I could live in the town and still be rural.
Does that make sense? :lol:
Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.
Marcas

Post by Marcas » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:50 pm

Urban.
“Disobedience, in the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man’s original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and rebellion.”

- Oscar Wilde
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:28 pm

Absolutely Urban.
My idea of the village shops is a Superquinn beside an M&S opposite a Dunnes with twelve Spar and Centra shops between them and my house which is opposite a hospital four pubs and in an area served by six bus routes two of which pass the airport on the way to where I live.

I'm even thinking of doing a course in Urban Planning....
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Gar

Post by Gar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:30 pm

I would imagine that the poll would show more of us in an urban setting and I think that might be to do with broadband penetration in the country country though.. I'm sure I read somewhere on 'tinterweb that Ireland had one of the worst high speed internet infrastructures outside the main cities so I think that might skew the numbers.. I wonder if the census numbers are broken down per county ? might go an have a look at that now.. Statisitics Hooray !!
Gar

Post by Gar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:43 pm

I found this

http://beyond2020.cso.ie/Census/TableVi ... eView.aspx

it only breaks it down by region as far as I can see but that will give us an idea of the breakdown to some extent..
Gar

Post by Gar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:52 pm

looks like inedifix already got a much better report over on a thread in New Articles if anyone wants to look at that..
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:04 pm

The CSO link on geographical distribution is here.

Cities do have higher proportions of people with no religion, but it's not a marked difference. Pretty much what you'd expect. Here's a few samples (%age with 'no religion').

Dublin 8.5%
Wicklow 7%
Cork City - 5.1%
Cork County - 3.8%
Waterford City - 3.07%
Waterford County - 2.6%
Limerick City - 3.4%
Limerick County - 2.1%
Galway City - 6.1%
Galway County - 3.1%
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:57 pm

I would say Urban (or sub-urban would be a more accurate descriptor) but I live close enough to rurality that I can sometimes smell the cows!
ucantcmeimsmilin

Post by ucantcmeimsmilin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:14 pm

In answer, I am an urban dweller.

The difference may not seem marked, but due to the sample size I would say it may well be statistically significant. As stated in a previous thread a more accurate question in the next census would be easier to interpret.