Rural dweller
33%

Total votes: 33
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:56 am

mkaobrih wrote: “The family that prays together stays together”
Hah, yeah. That one amusingly enough almost brought on a Family War in our house.
Mum (who is excessively religious) insisted on an hour a night of all-sorts, to be replaced with an hour a week. It caused an incredible amount of bad feelings, bickering and resentment, which was all interpreted by mum as the devil trying to derail our pious efforts.

Fortunately it withered away, and on the whole we are still talking to each other :D devil notwithstanding.
brianmmulligan

Post by brianmmulligan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:51 pm

Rural is definitely more religious. North Leitrim is full of hippies worshipping strange pre-christian gods and preaching about the forthcoming armageddon of global warming.
Brian
micfur

Post by micfur » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:48 pm

brianmmulligan wrote:Rural is definitely more religious. North Leitrim is full of hippies worshipping strange pre-christian gods and preaching about the forthcoming armageddon of global warming.
I thought they were all over at Tara :-)
egbrennan

Post by egbrennan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:47 pm

Interesting that today's poll in the Examiner shows that 16% of people do not believe in God in this country which is significantly higher than the census data. Proves the point that when people are asked on a form whether they believe in God they are likely to "lie" and say they do, in comparison to when they are asked anonymously. It seems that people are still afraid to say they don't believe in God.

I think one of the people on this forum made the valid point in the past that census returns are likely to be filled in by the head of the family who is going to say that his or her children are believers. If the everyone was asked to fill in the census form indiviually AND privately it is likely that far more people would say they don't believe in God.

Even the Examiner poll will suffer from this problem. Acording to the poll, a huge amount of people don't practise religion inspite of claiming to believe in God - I wonder why. Perhaps because there is a perception that admitting to not going to church is a less venial sin than admitting to not believing in God - even over the phone.
Ed.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:17 pm

The Onion has a plausible reason for that:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_br ... of_prayers
Report: 32% Of Prayers Deflected Off Passing Satellites

Well, ok, as plausible as any belief in sky faries. :lol:
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Urban as well. I'm about 15 mins walk from Cork city centre.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:30 pm

egbrennan wrote: Even the Examiner poll will suffer from this problem. Acording to the poll, a huge amount of people don't practise religion inspite of claiming to believe in God - I wonder why. Perhaps because there is a perception that admitting to not going to church is a less venial sin than admitting to not believing in God - even over the phone.
Ed.
well i'd be happy to see a distinction between good and organised religion.
test