Paddy's Day

General discussions
micfur

Post by micfur » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:11 am

My wife and I brought our 3 kids to see the parade in our local village and they loved it. The streets were closed to traffic, sun was shining and there was a festival feel in the air. We bumped into lots of people we hadnt seen since probably last Paddys day. There was musical sessions and Irish dancing in the pubs and hotels and kids were running around the place with painted faces. We didn't stay out late, but during that time there was no overt drunkenness or vomit stained footpaths. Doubtless this is not the sort of Paddys day the self-flagellating Irish media like to hear about, but that was our experience none-the-less.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:23 pm

micfur wrote:My wife and I brought our 3 kids to see the parade in our local village and they loved it. The streets were closed to traffic, sun was shining and there was a festival feel in the air..
That's really good to hear. I actually agree that a festival that brings a community together and lets them celebrate the good things in life (family, love, music, dancing, friends and even a pint or three) is a great thing and should always be maintained.

I live in Cork city centre, so my experience of vomit/food/piss stained pavements & drunken barneys is unfortunately a daily/nightly occurrence (not just Paddy's Day). Certainly it isn't the 'majority' of revellers who end up this way after a night out. But it does tend to be the younger crowd that do this, those who still drink for the sole purpose of getting drunk (a generalisation - certainly not all 'young' folk do).
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:01 pm

Ygern wrote:I actually agree that a festival that brings a community together and lets them celebrate the good things in life (family, love, music, dancing, friends and even a pint or three) is a great thing and should always be maintained.
Which is why one of the most open minded and tolerant things this country could do would be to rename the day Paddies Day and welcome everyone regardless of colour or creed. Then we really would have something to celebrate and make the whole thing a global day for coming together and having a good time.

I missed the parade due to bad information regards the start time. I suppose that's only to be expected since I got the info from an Algerian Muslim.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
paulamcnc

Post by paulamcnc » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Johnnnnn wrote:
Neesik wrote:I gotta celebrate it, it's my wifes birthday bless her :lol:
paulamcnc wrote:Mine too!
Ta very muchly Johnnnn, sorry I didn't spot it sooner!
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:47 am

sums it up
http://www.huliq.com/53911/what-saint-p ... day-really

are there any good source of info on the net explaining how christianity did gain such a hold here?

what was it, did one tribe leader convert on the hope of military help to combat his competitors that's how it usually happens?

ha funny story at the end of this description of patricks work
http://mimisbooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/ ... rn-in.html
test