Link to a topic I started over at IC
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:01 am

I'll get involved in this tomorrow.
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Colin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:41 am

I'm still awaiting appproval from an admin over there.

And the debate has broken down into if you are an atheist, you are close minded about the existence of god (Yes.... and?)... and don't give a capital letter to Gods as only god (singular) should have a capital cause he is so super awesome!

(See what I did there. I know I'm mean)
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:38 pm

I'm kind of reluctant to join that forum. I took a long nose around when Catherder posted the 'invitation' to join in the discussion on Humanae Vitae and it seems that to me that all of the members are fairly dogmatic, toeing-the-party-line kind of Catholics over there.

That surprises me quite a lot. I'm more used to Catholics being fairly skeptical and challenging about the Church's teachings.

Was Michael sure that he (or they) really wanted a bunch of Godless atheists over there?
Especially when some of us seem to be better read and better informed on matters of the Church and Bible than they are.

Please convince me otherwise :?
IrishKnight

Post by IrishKnight » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:30 pm

The admin are happy that there are people on the board that have a different view point to theirs. From what I can tell the ones which post the most are not Irish...
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:25 pm

IrishKnight wrote:The admin are happy that there are people on the board that have a different view point to theirs. From what I can tell the ones which post the most are not Irish...

Ik you're fu^%*d! The french guy just replied with this devasting argument!

You cannot use the word God with a "s" : Gods. There is only ONE God. And using the reason, it is easy to understand. As God is, He is this ultimate Entity, infinite. You cannot say 2 or 3 "infinities". Or multiply something you cannot measure. God is this ultimate, entire, complete and perfect Being. Alpha and Omega. Yes, the mystery of the Christian revelation is that God is 3 persons. 1 and 1 and 1. Father, Son, Holy Spirit. But it is not, by definition, 3 gods. But One. 1 and 1 and 1 = 1 not 3. Don't ask me to explain the mystery of the Trinity, nobody can.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
IrishKnight

Post by IrishKnight » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:49 pm

Ah yes the ol', "I can't win this, so I am going to point out his spelling mistakes"
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:07 pm

1+1+1= eh...1 but thats really 3 and the second one is the son but thats still 1 because he is his own father....which leaves the other one so that makes 2 but not really its still only 1 but because theres 3 in one which makes each 1 not 1 but a third!

So that would make jesus one third of the one third true god...

And all you can describe that as is a "mystery".

Il paraît tu es allé un long chemin devant la fin de l'itinéraire d'autobus. Tu es perdu vous-même...

A mystery!

You could do a lot better than that! How about a quagmire of conundrums, a host of hollowness, a raft of the risible, a flock of fluff, a willful wall of wackiness, a redoubtable rake of rubbish, obligated obfuscation, mania by mandate, fairy talk of the faithful, dogmatic dumbness, three card monty for the mindless, a puzzle for the clueless, a Gordian knot for the gormless….
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:10 pm

IrishKnight wrote:Ah yes the ol', "I can't win this, so I am going to point out his spelling mistakes"
I've a feeling we is not goin' to last too long. I was genuinely looking forward to discussing things with Irish catholics not some fuckin gobshite mid west american nutter and a french fool who left a country with great food and a transport system to live in a bleeding traffic jam...
IrishKnight

Post by IrishKnight » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:47 pm

Aye I was looking forward to a good debate...I might just declare the atheists as the winners, we'll soon see how fast they start to type :P