The God Debate

General discussions
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:34 pm

Ok, the deed is done :wink:

Made my first post and everything, if only because I couldn't handle how the forum seems to be slanted towards hyper-conservatives - which probably isn't the case. Or at least I hope not.

Good grief, most of the Catholics I have known in my life have been very open-minded and thoughtful folk, always ready to think critically about issues. I can't believe some of the stuff I've read over there!
cuchulainn

Post by cuchulainn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:21 pm

The most important people are the lurkers who don't actually debate.

When they see the True Believers arguments turn out to be made of aero board I'm sure it does have an effect.
I think you've hit on a very important point there...
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:28 pm

cuchulainn wrote:
The most important people are the lurkers who don't actually debate.

When they see the True Believers arguments turn out to be made of aero board I'm sure it does have an effect.
I think you've hit on a very important point there...
The guy who owns the site is going to take out another ad in the Irish catlick. It might up his numbers although I'm starting to wonder. This site put no ads in the press and built up fairly quickly.
Incidentally he turned down the offer of a joint ad for the time being.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:45 pm

FXR wrote:
Pontifex maximus fatur : nemo audio.

The language of Pagan Rome, don't ya just love it. ;D
[/quote]
Molagga wrote:
Tut,tut, Falconer. The Latin is a bit shakey here. It has to be either neminem audio or else nemo audiet (or audiat or audiatur).

Which is it?
FXR
You tell me :)
Ah ha...have we found a priest online...... :lol:

http://irishcatholics.proboards56.com/i ... =19&page=4
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:40 pm

STILL awaiting approval, any chance you could tell them to cop on?
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Colin » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:54 am

CelticAtheist wrote:STILL awaiting approval, any chance you could tell them to cop on?
Snap. 8 days later! Clearly the bible doesn't tell them how to approve clearly, so they;ve gone to the pope to interpret it for them.
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:30 pm

CelticAtheist wrote:STILL awaiting approval, any chance you could tell them to cop on?
I don't suppose you used the same name you're using here did ya?
Try JPII ya might get registered today!
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:26 pm

FXR wrote:
That shouldn't matter >.>
They're afraid we'll flood the bastards out with our arguments.
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:39 pm

CelticAtheist wrote:
FXR wrote:
That shouldn't matter >.>
They're afraid we'll flood the bastards out with our arguments.
That's exactly it. So far it's proving to be the worst shop window Irish Catholicism could have. The Fundamentalist Yank is embarrasing all and sundry but none of them can openly disagree. They're locked in by the dogma so much so that they have to keep stum when the whacko goes on with a load of irrational shite.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:30 pm

I take it that everyone got the same 'warning' email this weekend? I'm thoroughly unimpressed. I have gone out of my way to be polite in the two (2, count 'em) posts I have made, and the only response seems to be along the lines, well this is a Catholic forum, so we're not going to discuss it

This invitation to debate seems to be an ill-conceived attempt to boost low membership over there. It may have been well-meant and honestly intended, but no-one over there wants to discuss anything from a rational or critical point of view. I have tried to find what posts caused the ruffled feathers, but I can't see anything vicious or rude :?

I can only see people getting very upset at the mere notion of someone raising an argument that casts a critical eye at Church doctrine. If they don't want the debate fine; but then why the invitation claiming that they do?