Irish Catholics want to know you...

General discussions
FXR

Irish Catholics want to know you...

Post by FXR » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 pm

A thread just started on Irish Catholic.ie
We have a few active atheist members here which (in my view) is a good thing because it puts the rest of us on our mettle so we are having to think about what we post rather than just reinforcing one another's intellectual and spiritual comfort zones. But I find that most of our atheist friends' posts are attacking something that bears little resemblance to what the Church actually does and teaches. It reminds me a bit of people in my University days who spent their time in noisy and self-regarding "rebellion" against a repressive Church that in reality had long since been emasculated and marginalised.

To our Catholic members: how is this caricature still alive?

To our atheist members: can you define what it is you are against, and produce any real examples of it?

http://irishcatholics.proboards56.com/i ... 149&page=1
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:28 am

well i think the churches flitters between the two and thats the problem the past and present church.

and the catholics would like to forget the more critic worthy parts of the church that others wouldn't maybe in more of hurry to to forget.

most of the catholics over at the boards refuse to defend or associate themselves with the RCC and i dunno about on the proboard
test
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:21 am

My account on that site has been pending approval for a good few weeks now.
ItsAllChemistry

Re: Irish Catholics want to know you...

Post by ItsAllChemistry » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:14 pm

FXR wrote:A thread just started on Irish Catholic.ie
We have a few active atheist members here which (in my view) is a good thing because it puts the rest of us on our mettle so we are having to think about what we post rather than just reinforcing one another's intellectual and spiritual comfort zones. But I find that most of our atheist friends' posts are attacking something that bears little resemblance to what the Church actually does and teaches. It reminds me a bit of people in my University days who spent their time in noisy and self-regarding "rebellion" against a repressive Church that in reality had long since been emasculated and marginalised.

To our Catholic members: how is this caricature still alive?

To our atheist members: can you define what it is you are against, and produce any real examples of it?

http://irishcatholics.proboards56.com/i ... 149&page=1

I am just too lazy to wait few weeks for activation of my account, but I can answer that question as soon I get the definition of our religious friends what is that they are FOR and produce any real example of it...
IrishKnight

Post by IrishKnight » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:56 pm

Maybe try to reg again?
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:33 pm

nozzferrahhtoo, IrishKnight is right. Try it again. I had no trouble signing up. It was instant. So likely your trouble was technical rather than ideological (or other!)
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:55 pm

Strange, you are correct.

Not strange that you are correct.... its strange AND you are correct sorry :)

Signed up instantly the second time. If I try and log in with my first attempted user name it just says its still awaiting confirmation by an admin. If I try to sign up using the first user name it says its taken already (clearly taken by me). How odd.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:15 pm

Kewl all working. Just made a post on the thread you mention here. Hope its helpful and you dont disagree with too much of it :)
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Colin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:07 am

I signed up, posted what I thought was a rather humorous post and it was deleted. Damn them. Clearly sarcasm and irony are not appreciated over there.

I'm blasphemer by the way.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:15 pm

Its the classic 'That's not my religion' response to atheists; completely unaware of how many atheists in this country were brought up to be good Catholics same as they were.

If you want to make the discussion worth anything, you need to make it abundantly clear that it is EXACTLY their religion that you are taking about.