Irish Catholics want to know you...

General discussions
rtcostelloe

Post by rtcostelloe » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:24 pm

My account is still pending but will somebody post a reply to that MonkeyMan telling him he's an ignorant prick?
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Colin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:56 pm

rtcostelloe wrote:My account is still pending but will somebody post a reply to that MonkeyMan telling him he's an ignorant prick?
That happened me. Just register a new account with the same e-mail address.

Although as soon as we asked monkeyman to end the ad hominem attacks, debate dried up. Insulting my parents must be the best comeback he had.
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:33 pm

Colin wrote:
rtcostelloe wrote:My account is still pending but will somebody post a reply to that MonkeyMan telling him he's an ignorant prick?
That happened me. Just register a new account with the same e-mail address.

Although as soon as we asked monkeyman to end the ad hominem attacks, debate dried up. Insulting my parents must be the best comeback he had.
I think I already replied to him and I have'nt yet checked to see if he swallowed the bait.

Someone who tells you that you ought not to insult people by insulting you is not exatlcy checking with his brain before he opens his mouth. At least he's good at picking a moniker...
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:39 pm

Colin wrote:I signed up, posted what I thought was a rather humorous post and it was deleted. Damn them. Clearly sarcasm and irony are not appreciated over there.

I'm blasphemer by the way.
I did'nt know it was you but I though given that it is an Irish Catholic website that they would find the tone a bit off. I've had to adjust my own brand of vitrol and I find it's proving most interesting. I'm genuinely interested in finding out why people think what they think. If it was fundie cathlick yanks I'd just go for the jugular but I'm having some good discussion.

The other important thing to remember is that there are people lurking who watch the to and fro.
So far I've stopped a number of threads dead in their tracks (at least I think I did).

When posting you're often putting information and opinions before people they have never heard before. Anyone who gets their church history from the church is bound to be under severe misconceptions.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Colin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:54 pm

What I love is his posessiveness of 'gods words'. Apparently we are unable to use gods words against him... which means we can't use:
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
A drop in the bucket
A man after his own heart
A multitude of sins
A thorn in the flesh
All things must pass
All things to all men
Am I my brother's keeper?
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth
As old as Methuselah
As old as the hills
As you sow so shall you reap
Ashes to ashes dust to dust
At his wits end
Beat swords into ploughshares
Bite the dust
Blessed are the peacemakers
Born again
By the skin of your teeth
Can a leopard change its spots?
Coat of many colours
Eat drink and be merry
Faith will move mountains
Fall from grace
Fight the good fight
Flesh and blood
For everything there is a season
Forbidden fruit
Forgive them for they know not what they do
From strength to strength
Get thee behind me Satan
Give up the ghost
Good Samaritan
How are the mighty fallen
In the beginning was the word
It's better to give than to receive
Lamb to the slaughter
Let not the sun go down on your wrath
Let there be light
Living off the fat of the land
Love of money is the root of all evil -The
Love thy neighbour as thyself
Man does not live by bread alone
Many are called but few are chosen
My cup runneth over
No rest for the wicked
O ye, of little faith
Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings
Physician heal thyself
Sour grapes
Spare the rod and spoil the child
The apple of his eye
The blind leading the blind
The bread of life
The fly in the ointment
The fruits of your loins
The powers that be
The root of the matter
The salt of the earth
The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak
The wages of sin is death
The writing is on the wall
Thou shalt not kill
Three score and ten
To cast the first stone
What God has joined together let no man put asunder
Woe is me
Woe is us!
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:42 am

Colin wrote: Woe is us!
I hope you don't think you have to do as you are told! :D
Alexis

Post by Alexis » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:24 pm

lostexpectation wrote:well i think the churches flitters between the two and thats the problem the past and present church.
Is there any real difference between the 'past' and the 'present' Catholic church :roll:

No, of course not!
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Colin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Ygern wrote:
I hope you don't think you have to do as you are told! :D
I know.... I'm a cheeky little monkey.

Although I've gotta say thay Noelfitz is beginning to annoy me. Being baptised does not define who am now. And he also refuses to accept that a guy who doesn't believe in loads of catholic doctrines is not a catholic! Aaaaaagh! I feel as if I'm talking to a brick wall. Although at least Michael G is on my side in this argument!
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:09 pm

Colin wrote:I'm a cheeky little monkey.
:D
Just keep it polite. On a serious note, by refraining from being obviously abrasive it means your debate opponent has to stick to the subject; and can only resort to ad hominem slurs and insults when they have truly run out of good arguments.
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:25 pm

Colin wrote:
Ygern wrote:
Although I've gotta say thay Noelfitz is beginning to annoy me. Being baptised does not define who am now. And he also refuses to accept that a guy who doesn't believe in loads of catholic doctrines is not a catholic! Aaaaaagh! I feel as if I'm talking to a brick wall. Although at least Michael G is on my side in this argument!

You can always tell him that last night while he was asleep we made him Pastafarian and although it was without his knowledge or consent he's a Pastafarian forever now.