Irish Catholics want to know you...

General discussions
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by FXR » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Colin wrote: Although I've gotta say thay Noelfitz is beginning to annoy me. Being baptised does not define who am now. And he also refuses to accept that a guy who doesn't believe in loads of catholic doctrines is not a catholic! Aaaaaagh! I feel as if I'm talking to a brick wall. Although at least Michael G is on my side in this argument!
He's not exactly razor sharp is he? He seems to be without a basic grasp of English, this country and Catholicism.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Dublin

Post by Colin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:18 am

We now have two catholics agreeing that if you believe contrary to catholic doctrine you aren't a good catholic. Maybe Noelfitz will learn the error of his ways and stop harping on about this guy he once met in Trinity who had his own beliefs.
rtcostelloe
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:36 pm

Post by rtcostelloe » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:50 pm

Finally got my account approved, posting as Binary.
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by FXR » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:15 pm

Colin wrote:We now have two catholics agreeing that if you believe contrary to catholic doctrine you aren't a good catholic. Maybe Noelfitz will learn the error of his ways and stop harping on about this guy he once met in Trinity who had his own beliefs.
I think he got a good rap on the knuckels thar!
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by FXR » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:22 pm

Noelfitz wrote:I read recently that a student in MI (Mary Immaculate College of Education, Limerick) claimed that in MI students are taught that all religions are equally valid and that no lecturer there claimed that the Catholic Church is the one true Church. The student also said that some of the teachers teaching Catholic theology are not Catholic.

Accepting that what I wrote may not accurately reflect the student's views, the student may not accurately reflect the teachers' views and that the teachers' views may not reflect accurately the views of MI, I wonder what do any of you think of this controversy.

Please let me know your opinions.

Are you surprised?
I'm surprised that someone could be so fucking stupid as to post something like that!
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Dublin

Post by Colin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:17 pm

rtcostelloe wrote:Finally got my account approved, posting as Binary.
You know you can change your name in your profile.
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Dublin

Post by Colin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:59 am

Not any more we aren't welcome:
I am sending this message to everyone who is a registered member of the board. I am asking for your advice as to whether I should continue to admit non-Catholics or unbelievers to the discussions. I made the board completely open to let all points of view be expressed, but I am beginning to think I may have been wrong.

For some days now, atheist posters have made the majority of contributions. Is this (as one member has suggested to me) because it discourages Catholics from joining? Does it detract from the usefulness of this as a Catholic board? Do Catholic members, or potential members, just not want to get involved in the debates?

My own view, without wanting to offend our atheist members, is that none of them have come up with anything we have not heard before.

I would like to decide this by Friday evening so please let me know what you think.
bipedalhumanoid
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:18 am

Colin wrote:Not any more we aren't welcome:
I am sending this message to everyone who is a registered member of the board. I am asking for your advice as to whether I should continue to admit non-Catholics or unbelievers to the discussions. I made the board completely open to let all points of view be expressed, but I am beginning to think I may have been wrong.

For some days now, atheist posters have made the majority of contributions. Is this (as one member has suggested to me) because it discourages Catholics from joining? Does it detract from the usefulness of this as a Catholic board? Do Catholic members, or potential members, just not want to get involved in the debates?

My own view, without wanting to offend our atheist members, is that none of them have come up with anything we have not heard before.

I would like to decide this by Friday evening so please let me know what you think.
I'm in two minds about this...

I think it's fair enough for a special interest forum to close itself off to only those who share the interest in question. If I had a stamp collecting forum that was being overrun by people who dislike stamp collecting to the extent that they outnumbered the stamp collectors, I'd consider closing off the forum to non-stamp collectors.

It seems that the moderator invited non-believers along in an attempt to get some dicussion going and that he has failed to achieve that. S/he has to make whatever s/he thinks is the best decision for his/her forum.

Having said that, I'd say the lack of response to atheist arguments is due to the lack of any form reasonable of comeback. "we've heard it all before" is a cop out. Who said all arguments need to be new arguments anyway? Especially when the old ones are yet to be addressed adequately.

When delivering the Flying Spaghetti Monster argument to theists and agnostics I've had a number of responses...
-snickering
-accusations that it is a straw man (without any explanation of how or why)
-assertion that they have already destroyed that argument in a previous debate (and of course it's too much trouble for them to do it again)
-assertion that this argument is nothing new
-the classic 'it's called faith for a reason I don't need evidence'
-and in one case, my response was pre-empted and before I could say anything was told (with a snigger) "and don't give me that crap about russell's teapot"

The only thing these responses are lacking is any form of argument what so ever. These are all cop outs. Attempts to weasel out because the arguer has no valid response... and that's what we're getting from our catholic friend here. Cop out with a twist of rationalisation.
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by FXR » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:22 am

I could see this coming. I was about to send him a PM tell him he needed to get people turned to promoting the board. The "we've heard it all before" is a cop out. None of them have got out of the starting gate in any of the arguments. The board does not have enough Catholic members yet and as such is not robust enough to withstand the kind of consistent posting that IK, Col, Blasphemer and me have been at.

I think it would be worth toning it down and trying to promote the board to Irish Catholics.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:17 am

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:02 pm

Well Ive been banned without explanation. Shortly after a user accused me of being a member of an iranian porn site of all things. Im not before you ask. But if anyone finds I am can you tell me which one. If I AM then id like to at least USE my account :)
Post Reply