The atheist bus

General discussions

Postby planewaves » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:52 pm

Well, it might be a nice stunt or prank to have such advertising, but to be honest, it is useless and waste of money. I do believe it is somehow childesh !!

There are more effective methods for atheists to voice their opinions. For example, Atheists need to learn to organise themselves into a lobby that can fight for or defends secular people's interests.
planewaves

Postby nozzferrahhtoo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:09 pm

planewaves wrote:Well, it might be a nice stunt or prank to have such advertising, but to be honest, it is useless and waste of money. I do believe it is somehow childesh !!

There are more effective methods for atheists to voice their opinions. For example, Atheists need to learn to organise themselves into a lobby that can fight for or defends secular people's interests.

Actually with the bus Dawkins has said he hopes it will help people come out as atheists who have until now not outed themselves.

If you are interested in organising atheists into a lobby group therefore, would the motivation of the bus to first identify the atheists and have them identify themselves not be a worthy first step in that cause?
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby planewaves » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:30 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:
planewaves wrote:Well, it might be a nice stunt or prank to have such advertising, but to be honest, it is useless and waste of money. I do believe it is somehow childesh !!

Actually with the bus Dawkins has said he hopes it will help people come out as atheists who have until now not outed themselves.

If you are interested in organising atheists into a lobby group therefore, would the motivation of the bus to first identify the atheists and have them identify themselves not be a worthy first step in that cause?

Well, if you are very optimistic you might consider it a first step. I do think Dawkins is a positive person, and so will obviously would be glad to see anything happening by atheists.

Why are we always stuck in the first step? Why do we behave in such divided manner? and why we behave as being foreigners? as if the religious people the true owners of the country ???
planewaves

Postby nozzferrahhtoo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:24 pm

For those interested we just had this press release from the British Humanist Association.

The wheels on the bus go round and round and round and round!

The Atheist Bus Campaign is driving along at full tilt. Donations are pouring in, as are the phone calls from newspapers, sales pitches from ad agencies, and emails from everyone who’s ever had a worldview!

As always, we want and expect feedback especially from our members and supporters. Every policy decision and campaign announcement receives some praise and some criticism. There are two things that are special about the feedback on this campaign (both from the public and from our members and supporters). First is how much of it there is! Second is that it is overwhelmingly positive.

Of course there are always some critical comments. There have been numerous suggestions for changes to the wording, major and minor. We appreciate all this feedback, but there would never, ever be a slogan which everyone would be entirely happy with, and everyone who has their own ideas seems to feel that their modification is the only one that would need to be made! One person offers an idea because they think we should be less “presumptious”, another suggests that the slogan is already too “soft”! One person says they’re agnostic and it’s too atheistic, another says that “probably” isn’t sure enough of itself! So, in reality, we have hopefully found a balance between the possible “routes” that this bus could have taken, and it’s reassuring that despite a handful of criticisms of the negative beginning to the statement (“There’s probably no God”) the overall message is laidback, positive, and refreshing.

More than half the number of members who join the BHA in a usual month, joined in a single day between Tuesday and Wednesday! It seems that, quibbles aside, Ariane’s advert has tapped into an undercurrent of thought which wants to shrug in the face of religious slogans.

Thank you for all your support.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby nozzferrahhtoo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:32 pm

A user over on boards.ie also created this cute little tribute to the project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9Z9YCjt_Y
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby Alexis » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:54 pm

planewaves wrote: I do think Dawkins is a positive person,...

Do you? I don't. I think Dawkins has 'lost the plot'. Whilst I'm all for knocking religious zealots on the head, in any way one can. Dawkins is conducting a 'Holy War'against the religious fundies which says more about him than it does about them, IMO.
Alexis

Postby nozzferrahhtoo » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:20 am

Alexis wrote:

Do you? I don't. I think Dawkins has 'lost the plot'. Whilst I'm all for knocking religious zealots on the head, in any way one can. Dawkins is conducting a 'Holy War'against the religious fundies which says more about him than it does about them, IMO.

I think youll have to back that one up with citations and reasons.

I admit of all the speakers and talkers currently on this subject Dawkins is my least favorite, however I still hold him in much higher regard than you do here.

I can quote endlessly from his positive quotes about how wonderful life is, how majestic and inspiring the universe is, how amazing it is to be alive and how beautiful the process that got us here has been. His passion for the truth should be a beacon to all.

What you find negative about him I really do not know and I cant wait to hear the back up.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby nozzferrahhtoo » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:29 am

The master mind behind the project has a nice thank you here and an explanation of what will be done with the vast amount of too much money they got:

http://www.richarddawkins.net/article,3 ... ardiancouk
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby planewaves » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:28 am

Alexis wrote:

:lol: :lol:

What's wrong with conducting a "Holy War", as you put it??

Don't you think theists are taking advantage of our silence in Europe to pass their agenda, control people, and steal money???

Dawkins is a model for all atheists, and we should be so glad that such an educated person is dedicating his time and money to fight for our freedom.

Do you know what the problem with atheists is? It is that we have NO reference point to unite us around it!! We are divided; some how don't like or trust each other, and are UNable to unite our efforts.

Atheists have become the weakest element in the society, voiceless, and do not make any difference anywhere, either in politics or decision making???
planewaves

Postby rozeboosje » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:13 pm

eppur si muove
rozeboosje

PreviousNext

Return to Atheism, Philosophy and Religion