The atheist bus

General discussions

atheist bus

Postby dickspicer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:31 pm

Folks....pleae read my article/plea which has just been entered on site.... time to set up an atheist campagn group? Dick spicer
dickspicer

Re: atheist bus

Postby FXR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:54 pm

dickspicer wrote:Folks....pleae read my article/plea which has just been entered on site.... time to set up an atheist campagn group? Dick spicer

Where is the article/plea exactly?
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR

atheist bus

Postby dickspicer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:15 pm

Just go to home page and then latest articles and click on it.
dickspicer

Postby FXR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:18 pm

dickspicer wrote:Just go to home page and then latest articles and click on it.

Da home page of wot exactly?
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR

atheist bus

Postby dickspicer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:30 pm

I am new to this forum and 'virtual world' stuff..but I would have thought that someone of your vast experience (number of posts?)..would have thought of the home page of this site ???????? ...Is that too complex or challenging for such dwellers in the virtual world?..or am I being touchy???? seriously come on ..have you been dabbling in altered states of consciousness???
dickspicer

atheist bus

Postby dickspicer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:38 pm

Or maybe my consciousness needs raising?
Maybe you could give me lessons on how to utilise a forum??????
....I think so
dickspicer

Postby inedifix » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:59 pm

dickspicer wrote:Folks....pleae read my article/plea which has just been entered on site.... time to set up an atheist campagn group? Dick spicer

Dick,

I think the usual form is to open a new thread in the "New Articles" board. Then post a link from your opening post within that thread on the New Articles board, back to your article.

Then people discuss it. Requesting people to discuss your "New Article" from within this thread will just take it off topic.

Try the above and see what happens.

I
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
inedifix

The atheist bus

Postby dickspicer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:02 am

Thanks for that advice, I appreciate it, although I am not going to act on it. This has been my only foray (and will now be my last) into the virtual world of this site. The suggestion (article) is there if others want to act on it.
My time in the real world is short enough and I just cant take on another realm. It would appear that atheists (or many of them) have the reverse problem. They spend so much anonymous time in the virtual world that they can not act in the real world? I know I am doing many an injustice by generalising so....! ?
I would dearly love to be proven wrong on this.
Dick
dickspicer

Re: The atheist bus

Postby inedifix » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:20 am

Comment withdrawn by Inedifix
Last edited by inedifix on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
inedifix

Postby nozzferrahhtoo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:47 am

I have read the article you posted Dick. Welcome to the site and your first attempt to find out way in the virtual world of cyber space. No one expects your first foray to be a success and it is of no surprise therefore that as expected it was not. I look forward of course to future attempts.

I think your mistake lies in the notion that such a thing has not already happened. A lot of people here are in fact active in meatspace and not just cyberspace.

You see when you are, for example, a Christian you can join under a banner as you all know what you all believe in and the basis for your world view. There is a strong and common theme upon which you can all unite.

However with atheists there is no connecting belief just a connecting lack of one belief. The notion of forming a political party with them has been likened to herding cats. Their non belief is common and their wish for a secular political scene is common but after that there is no common belief. Atheists by nature tend to be individually opinionated and inquisitive to a very high and strict degree. As you can see from this site we often disagree totally on issues like homosexuality, abortion and even the naming and shaming of sex offenders.

So rather than getting together under one association we are instead spread like a seasoning over other associations and other political fields. Sometimes we meet shoulder to shoulder fighting for an issue, while sometimes we find ourselves sitting glaring at each other from opposite sides of the table.

The only unifying concept in these situations among us is that any argument we put forward to support or attack each other will be based on real evidence, reason and demonstrated studies and statistics. We will not in any of our dealings appeal to higher powers or invisible sky fairies.

An atheist can be a republican, conservative, liberal, an anarchist, a nihilist or any other category you care to name. At the point you realise this then the false premise on which you base your consequently false article will be rectified and you will realise the error behind the essay.

Also since you are not aware of the real names of the general users of this site your assumption that they are not active in meatspace is just that… an assumption… and one that is therefore based on no evidence whatsoever. The moment you make assumptions about your antagonists is the moment you have already lost your debate.

As I said, better luck next time and I look forward to your next offering to the site.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

PreviousNext

Return to Atheism, Philosophy and Religion