the angelus and rte

General discussions
Alexis

Post by Alexis » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:56 pm

abc wrote:
My position remains clear: Contrary to what some would say, it IS worth fighting for these 'small' things to be changed.
Ever heard of the word BOYCOTT? If YOU don't like something, you just leave it and move on. Its that simple :wink:

Don't you have a DELETE button on your radio/tv :roll:
FXR

Post by FXR » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:03 pm

Alexis wrote:
abc wrote:
My position remains clear: Contrary to what some would say, it IS worth fighting for these 'small' things to be changed.
Ever heard of the word BOYCOTT? If YOU don't like something, you just leave it and move on. Its that simple :wink:

Don't you have a DELETE button on your radio/tv :roll:
Well the problem is we live in Ireland where paying the licence fee that funds this TV station is mandatory. Refusing to pay could get one a fine in court. If you have to pay for a TV station you have a right to voice an opinion the content. Of course a lot of people prefer to stick their heads in the sand (just like your'e more or less suggesting ).
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:37 pm

I had a look at the RTE Angelus (as 'channelled' by FXR) and I am a little confused as to how they think this is in any way a multicultural version. Its just a hoping-to-be-politically-correct, pointless version.

Apart from the fact that the actors all look a bit confused and embarrassed, unsure as they are about exactly what they are supposed to be thinking. All I'm thinking if I hear the 6pm Angelus is Bloody hell, the No 8 is late again.

If anything, I think its slightly crass that a non-Irish non-Catholic would be assumed to pause thoughtfully with a slightly constipated expression on their face just because the Angelus was ringing. This segment doesn't represent the changing face of Ireland. It represents wishful thinking in a completely unrealistic way.
maledettobenedetto

Post by maledettobenedetto » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:58 pm

I cringe every time I hear the angelus and race to change radio station or channel. It's only a matter of time before the muezzin is given five slots a day on rte radio one to call the faithful to prayer.
Superstitious Fool

Post by Superstitious Fool » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:45 pm

FXR wrote:RTE is like the media wing of the Vatican at times.
Oh if only it was :cry: .
Michael G
rtcostelloe

Post by rtcostelloe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:54 pm

You know what no matter what people feel I think it's nice the rté want to have a multicultural call to prayer on the channel. It shows that they are trying to move with the times and trying to change, but we have to face facts that even though we live in a very modern society in other areas we're still a backward and frightened nation. So if rté still want to put on the Angelus for the majority of people who want to see, so the fuck what! When did Atheism become about attacking every little thing about the Catholic Church? Isn't it about your own personal beliefs and wanting respect for those beliefs? And the thing about wanting respect is that first you have to give respect.
maledettobenedetto

Post by maledettobenedetto » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:12 pm

rtcostelloe wrote:You know what no matter what people feel I think it's nice the rté want to have a multicultural call to prayer on the channel. It shows that they are trying to move with the times and trying to change, but we have to face facts that even though we live in a very modern society in other areas we're still a backward and frightened nation. So if rté still want to put on the Angelus for the majority of people who want to see, so the fuck what! When did Atheism become about attacking every little thing about the Catholic Church? Isn't it about your own personal beliefs and wanting respect for those beliefs? And the thing about wanting respect is that first you have to give respect.
The operative word here is respect. Respect needs to be earned. I cannot respect the beliefs of people who clearly believe the unbelievable. How can you respect someone who believes you will be roasted in hellfire if you don't worship the sky fairy.
rtcostelloe

Post by rtcostelloe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:27 pm

maledettobenedetto wrote:
rtcostelloe wrote:You know what no matter what people feel I think it's nice the rté want to have a multicultural call to prayer on the channel. It shows that they are trying to move with the times and trying to change, but we have to face facts that even though we live in a very modern society in other areas we're still a backward and frightened nation. So if rté still want to put on the Angelus for the majority of people who want to see, so the fuck what! When did Atheism become about attacking every little thing about the Catholic Church? Isn't it about your own personal beliefs and wanting respect for those beliefs? And the thing about wanting respect is that first you have to give respect.
The operative word here is respect. Respect needs to be earned. I cannot respect the beliefs of people who clearly believe the unbelievable. How can you respect someone who believes you will be roasted in hellfire if you don't worship the sky fairy.
Well firstly I don't respect those who preach hellfire and damnation because they're hateful and fearful little creatures, what I’m talking about is respect for the vast majority of religious people who believe in the good that their religion does and the positive effect that they believe it has on them. These are the people that should be engaged in debate about religion and the nature of faith with us. By wanting to remove the Angelus from TV we would alienate these reasonable religious people and be only engaging in debates with the hellfire/damnation brigade. I feel something like that would tarnish Atheists as hateful as well. As Nietzsche said "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:17 pm

Superstitious Fool wrote:
FXR wrote:RTE is like the media wing of the Vatican at times.
Oh if only it was :cry: .
You obviously are not reading the thread and don't have a TV or else you do and don't watch RTE all that much.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:23 pm

rtcostelloe wrote:the thing about wanting respect is that first you have to give respect.
It doesn't work like that.

You get respect by earning it. Certainly there are more tactful and less tactful ways of achieving respect. But simply giving respect (ie shutting up and accepting the status quo) just gets you trampled on.