the angelus and rte

General discussions
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:56 pm

Does anyone know where we can go to check the ratings for religious broadcasting on RTE?

I'd be very surprised if they would get the same kind of numbers as their general broadcasts. If they did you'd expect to see commercial stations jumping over the top of each other to broadcast religious content.

Outside of anything to do with the religious content on RTE I pretty much never watch anything on RTE. I'm not a fan of British and Irish soaps, I get my news from the radio and internet and If I'm going to watch tv I'd generally tune into sky one, paramount comedy, channel 4, channel 4 Movies or More4. In fact when I first moved into my current house I had no access to any tv channels for about the first 3 months. I used my tv for dvds only and yet I had to pay for RTE! On the basis that it isn't a service I use I object to being forced to pay for it.

I might feel differently about it if RTE were providing a community service... ie. broadcasting purely informative or educational programming. I'd then see the benefit to society regardless of whether I choose to watch it. But that isn't the case.

The whole concept of the tv licence is archaic.
Superstitious Fool

Post by Superstitious Fool » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:38 pm

FXR wrote:
FXR wrote:Every Sunday morning they broadcast a Mass.
Superstitious Fool wrote: True, or it might be a service from the very small Church of Ireland or another even smaller Protestant church. Public service broadcasting for the sick or elderly (license-payers, though perhaps not the elderly) who would like to get to a church but can't. Anyway they have downgraded the Sunday morning broadcast on radio to Long Wave.
I've only ever seen them braodcast the CCL version on Sunday mornings but granted I don't make a habit of watching it every Sunday. Moving the radio version to Long Wave might just show how afraid they are of cancelling it alltoghter.
Etc. I was in the middle of composing a long reply to this when everything froze. Either God is angry, or someone is charging you money for a shite service. My friend FXR has the same experience yesterday.

I'll try again later.
Michael G
Superstitious Fool

Post by Superstitious Fool » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:41 pm

FXR wrote:
FXR wrote:Every Sunday morning they broadcast a Mass.
Superstitious Fool wrote: True, or it might be a service from the very small Church of Ireland or another even smaller Protestant church. Public service broadcasting for the sick or elderly (license-payers, though perhaps not the elderly) who would like to get to a church but can't. Anyway they have downgraded the Sunday morning broadcast on radio to Long Wave.
I've only ever seen them braodcast the CCL version on Sunday mornings but granted I don't make a habit of watching it every Sunday. Moving the radio version to Long Wave might just show how afraid they are of cancelling it alltoghter.
I was in the middle of composing a long reply to this, skilfully copying and pasting the quote and unquote bits, when it all vanished — just like what happened to FXR yesterday. Either God is angry (unlikely since I was posting on his behalf) or you are paying money to someone for a shite service.
Michael G
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:24 pm

I'm just a little curious Michael, why choose "Superstitious Fool" as a username? I'm sure that that's not your perception of yourself and it always makes me feel uncomfortable to hear people put themselves down. Do you feel that this is our perception of you? I can assure you that it's not mine anyhow, both of my parents are religious. I wouldn't be impressed if another member here called anyone else here a Superstitious Fool.

(if you'd like me to change your username at any time just drop me a pm)
Alexis

Post by Alexis » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:38 am

Superstitious Fool wrote: I was in the middle of composing a long reply to this, skilfully copying and pasting the quote and unquote bits, when it all vanished — just like what happened to FXR yesterday. Either God is angry (unlikely since I was posting on his behalf) or you are paying money to someone for a shite service.
He (your God) might indeed be very angry, with you :wink:
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:05 pm

Alexis wrote:
Superstitious Fool wrote: I was in the middle of composing a long reply to this, skilfully copying and pasting the quote and unquote bits, when it all vanished — just like what happened to FXR yesterday. Either God is angry (unlikely since I was posting on his behalf) or you are paying money to someone for a shite service.
He (your God) might indeed be very angry, with you :wink:
Maybe Their Lady burned his dinner.....
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Superstitious Fool

Post by Superstitious Fool » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:28 pm

CatHerder wrote:I'm just a little curious Michael, why choose "Superstitious Fool" as a username? I'm sure that that's not your perception of yourself and it always makes me feel uncomfortable to hear people put themselves down. Do you feel that this is our perception of you? I can assure you that it's not mine anyhow, both of my parents are religious. I wouldn't be impressed if another member here called anyone else here a Superstitious Fool.
Thanks Seamus — and I appreciate your remarks. I suppose I chose it with deliberate (and fairly crude) irony because I assumed that some other members would think of me that way. I'm happy to leave it as it is for now.
Michael G
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:19 pm

Superstitious Fool wrote: Thanks Seamus — and I appreciate your remarks. I suppose I chose it with deliberate (and fairly crude) irony because I assumed that some other members would think of me that way. I'm happy to leave it as it is for now.

On the other hand if it was that other Walter Mitty Gobshite you've got over there no would have batted an eyelid :lol:
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:55 am

FXR wrote:
Walter Mitty
Do I spy another Danny Kaye afficienado?

You could be referring to James Thurber's excellent book, but I have fond childhood memories of the film too... some of those sequences had me in tears of laughter. :)
randomcrisis
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by randomcrisis » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:33 pm

I've been reading a lot of the comments associated with this post and people seem very polarised regarding the issue.
I for one would like the idea of the catholic call to arms being removed from our national prime time slot in favour of exploiting this for advertising revenue. ( Our state media must know this )

Having a quick read of the broadcasting act 2001 doesnt help us one bit
http://www.bci.ie/documents/2001act.pdf but given how populous the catholics are in this country and the amount of time given to them as opposed the other main religions or even the atheists then maybe there is something to go on here. But without correct data it will be hard to compile.

In a world of equality and our attempt to been in Europe as a progressive state the fact that we still have this angelus stuff broadcast shows how far we have to go

Thanks for all the comments.

Dez