the angelus and rte

General discussions
IrishKnight

Post by IrishKnight » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:22 pm

It was something I've being meaning to do but forgot about it...I might drop them a line before I go back to uni
IrishKnight

Post by IrishKnight » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:01 am

A chara,

After reading RTÉ's Programme Guidelines 2008 it has become apparent that a number point are not being followed. Especially in relation to religious programming i.e. The Angeles or Sunday Mass both on radio and TV

"No editorial or programming bias shall be shown in terms of gender, age, disability, race, sexual orientation, religion or membership of a minority community."
Page 7

If no programming bias is to be shown then why is the above programmes, which show clear bias towards the Roman Catholic Church, allowed to be shown? While I understand RTÉ wants to "reflect the faiths traditionally found in Ireland", it has to be seen that while tradition is all good a well, we have to move with the times.

As a public service, you must creature to all of the public, not just the vast majority. As such, RTÉ must become areligious, not showing any religious programmes other than say factual opens, eg documentaries. Or ensure that all religions, at least the ones in Ireland, are given equal air time. As such you have to cater to Roman Catholics, Church of Irelanders (incl. Protestant), Muslims (Islamic), Other Christian religions, Presbyterians, Orthodoxs, Methodists, Apostolics or Pentecostals, Buddhists, Hindus, Lutherans, Evangelicals, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Baptists, Jewishs, Pantheists, Agnostics, Latter Day Saints (Mormon), Atheists, Quakers (Society of Friends), Lapsed Roman Catholics, Baha’is and Brethrens (according to CSO).

"2. Tolerance of the diversity of beliefs people hold RTÉ in its output will reflect the faiths traditionally found in Ireland. RTÉ should also as appropriate cover the religions of new groups arriving in Ireland and new faiths as they emerge. RTÉ will also acknowledge in its programming people who are agnostic or atheistic."
Page 55

The above quote ties into my statement about covering other religions in Ireland. Something RTÉ has systematically has failed to do. I have yet to see any programme with atheism in it. Perhaps I haven't seen it, but if there is please do tell me what programme and how I can get a copy of it, as I would be very interested in seeing such a programme.

I would be very interested in starting a dialog with RTÉ about the issue I have raised

--
Is mise le meas,
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:12 am

Watch the Angelus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMNQ84nHFZo

The subliminal symbolism analayised:

Scene 1: A dark Asian/Middle Eastern type (A Muslim!)
Scene 2: Bright flashing (a bomb blast)
Scene 3: Irish Mother hugs child (fear of Muslims)
Scene 4: Irish father pokes fire and thinks of? (are the Muslims coming)
Scene 5: Disfigured body of his child (killed by Muslim bomb)
Scene 6: Dark Asian/Middle Eastern type hanging decorations on Christmas tree (first they bomb us white people and then move in on “our” traditions.)
Scene 7: Dead flat lake under setting sun (our dying culture)
Scene 8: Bloke with tin whistle lamely gives up (funeral lament)
Scene 9: Frosty branches (its winter for Catholics)
Scene 10: Moany faced Catholic oul wan (lost husband to Babe in a Burka)
Scene 11: More wintry snow covered branches (there’s no hope left)
Scene 12: Little girl beside picture of dead parents, lights candle and looks out of window hopefully (who will save us?)
Scene 13: Answer: the Holy family that’s who! (look closely at the shadowy images in the last scene)
Last edited by FXR on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Alexis

Post by Alexis » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:05 am

IrishKnight wrote: Tis what little research I did...
Congratulations on doing all that research into RTE, but, was it really necessary for you to discover that the Irish status-quo is still in the hands of the Roman Catholic Mafiosa? No offence, if you're Irish and under the age of 40.
Alexis

Post by Alexis » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:12 am

FXR wrote:Watch the Angelus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMNQ84nHFZo

The subliminal symbolism analayised:

Scene 1: A dark Asian/Middle Eastern type (A Muslim!)
Scene 2: Bright flashing (a bomb blast)
Scene 3: Irish Mother hugs child (fear of Muslims)
Scene 4: Irish father pokes fire and thinks of? (are the Muslims coming0
Scene 5: Disfigured body of his child (killed by Muslim bomb)
Scene 6: Dark Asian/Middle Eastern type hanging decorations on Christmas tree (first they bomb us white people and then move in on “our” traditions.)
Scene 7: Dead flat lake under setting sun (our dying culture)
Scene 8: Bloke with tin whistle lamely gives up (funeral lament)
Scene 9: Frosty branches (its winter for Catholics)
Scene 10: Moany faced Catholic oul wan (lost husband to Babe in a Burka)
Scene 11: More wintry snow covered branches (there’s no hope left)
Scene 12: Little girl beside picture of dead parents, lights candle and looks out of window hopefully (who will save us?)
Scene 13: Answer: the Holy family that’s who! (look closely at the shadowy images in the last scene)
Monty Python eat your heart out! :D
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:56 pm

IrishKnight wrote:A chara,

After reading RTÉ's Programme Guidelines 2008 it has become apparent that a number point are not being followed. Especially in relation to religious programming i.e. The Angeles or Sunday Mass both on radio and TV

"No editorial or programming bias shall be shown in terms of gender, age, disability, race, sexual orientation, religion or membership of a minority community."
Page 7

If no programming bias is to be shown then why is the above programmes, which show clear bias towards the Roman Catholic Church, allowed to be shown? While I understand RTÉ wants to "reflect the faiths traditionally found in Ireland", it has to be seen that while tradition is all good a well, we have to move with the times.

As a public service, you must creature to all of the public, not just the vast majority. As such, RTÉ must become areligious, not showing any religious programmes other than say factual opens, eg documentaries. Or ensure that all religions, at least the ones in Ireland, are given equal air time. As such you have to cater to Roman Catholics, Church of Irelanders (incl. Protestant), Muslims (Islamic), Other Christian religions, Presbyterians, Orthodoxs, Methodists, Apostolics or Pentecostals, Buddhists, Hindus, Lutherans, Evangelicals, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Baptists, Jewishs, Pantheists, Agnostics, Latter Day Saints (Mormon), Atheists, Quakers (Society of Friends), Lapsed Roman Catholics, Baha’is and Brethrens (according to CSO).

"2. Tolerance of the diversity of beliefs people hold

RTÉ in its output will reflect the faiths traditionally found in Ireland. RTÉ should also as appropriate cover the religions of new groups arriving in Ireland and new faiths as they emerge. RTÉ will also acknowledge in its programming people who are agnostic or atheistic."
Page 55

The above quote ties into my statement about covering other religions in Ireland. Something RTÉ has systematically has failed to do. I have yet to see any programme with atheism in it. Perhaps I haven't seen it, but if there is please do tell me what programme and how I can get a copy of it, as I would be very interested in seeing such a programme.

I would be very interested in starting a dialog with RTÉ about the issue I have raised

--
Is mise le meas,
Oh dude, you really undermine your point by not proof-reading your message. I've highlighted the typos and bad spell-checker replacements above. I understand what you mean, but this kind of garbled text is just too easy for the recipient to dismiss without even evaluating the quality of your argument.

regards
DL
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:15 pm

Not everyone Oh Enlightened One can find the path to true spelling and grammar that you connection to Nirvan imbues you with our Most Officious Guru.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
IrishKnight

Post by IrishKnight » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:47 pm

Frogive me father for my dyslexic nature.

Anyway, here is the reply,
I acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and have read your comments.

In response to your reference to RTÉ Programme Guidelines, these are just that – guidelines towards achieving best practice. However, I wish to advise that RTÉ operates under the terms of the Broadcasting Laws. Specifically section 17 of the 1960 Broadcasting Act, as amended by section 13 of the 1976 Broadcasting Act states that RTÉ shall be in its programming "responsive to the interests and concerns of the whole community, be mindful of the needs for understanding and peace within the whole island of Ireland, ensure that the programmes reflect the varied elements which make up the culture of the people of the whole island of Ireland, and have special regard for the elements which distinguish that culture and in particular for the Irish language."

In our programming on both radio and television we attempt to reflect in our output the values and culture of the people of Ireland. Part of those values and culture are to be found in the religious beliefs of the people. We broadcast a range of worship programming and religious affairs programming. The diversity of people's religious views find expression in the range of services we broadcast. For example, on radio we carry each Sunday both Roman Catholic and Protestant services, on television we alternate on a weekly basis. We also recognise the Islamic and Jewish faiths. Our religious programming, such as Would you Believe on television and The Spirit Level on radio reflect the range of views on spiritual matters one finds in the community at large.

The broadcasting of the Angelus is regarded by RTÉ as a call to prayer which reflects the spiritual needs of a large proportion of the Irish people. The Angelus is regarded as a Roman Catholic prayer but other Christian denominations have welcomed its broadcast as an opportunity for their followers to pause for a few moments in spiritual reflection. The Angelus originated in Parma as a prayer for peace. In the visual imagery broadcast with the Angelus we include images which are "spiritual" rather than denominational. We have no reason to believe that other Christian denominations and other religious groups object to a call to prayer for one minute twice a day. We do not accept that the broadcast of the Angelus can be evaluated out of context of the range of religious programming broadcast on RTÉ. We believe that we are "reflecting the varied elements which make up the culture of the people in the broadcast of our religious programmes and that the broadcast of the Angelus is part of this. Of course Irish society is changing and RTÉ needs to reflect that change but it is our view that the broadcast of the Angelus is still appropriate in Ireland today.

I want to assure you that RTÉ respects the views on religion of all the people in Ireland.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write your views to RTÉ.

Kind Regards

Brigitte Murphy
RTÉ Information-Communications
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:54 pm

Reflecting the varied nature of Irish society apparently only includes the superstious and not the rational. They even managed to bury Irish atheists and not mention once that they were not the least bit religious. Of course the CCL did their bit by keeping stum and allowing the funerals in the Church. Never let devout religious convictions get in the way of the big picture.
abc

Post by abc » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:47 pm

IrishKnight wrote: Anyway, here is the reply,
I acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and have read your comments.

<snip>

I want to assure you that RTÉ respects the views on religion of all the people in Ireland.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write your views to RTÉ.

Kind Regards

Brigitte Murphy
RTÉ Information-Communications
What a load of crap from RTE. RTE should rid their schedule of this daily call to prayer. Same with the ruddy Evening Prayer/Prayer At Bedtime junk that seems to occur each night.

My position remains clear: Contrary to what some would say, it IS worth fighting for these 'small' things to be changed.