Irish Catholic forum desends into madness

General discussions
CelticAtheist
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:55 pm

Post by CelticAtheist » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:28 pm

Perhaps the only way to sort them out is to do what they did to us.

SOLVE EVERYTHING WITH FIRE!
lostexpectation
Posts: 1993
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:28 pm

Post by lostexpectation » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:45 pm

CelticAtheist wrote:Perhaps the only way to sort them out is to do what they did to us.

SOLVE EVERYTHING WITH FIRE!
that'll be the anarchist in you.


/just a joke, from a sort of anarchist meself.
test
hackenslash
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:05 am

Post by hackenslash » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:24 am

Just wanted to say hi, and for several reasons this seemed the most appropriate place to do it. Let me explain:

Inedifix posted on the Richard Dawkins forum that he had been banned from the IC forum, so I signed up to give support. His posts on IC led me here.

@ Inedifix, thanks for that, I'm going to have some fun with those jerks, especially the cretinists.

And a tiny introduction.

I am a first generationer living in Manchester. My mother and father are from Tipperary and Galway respectively. Mum was born and raised in a convent for the earth-shattering crime of being born out of wedlock in 1945. She barely survived, and in some respects is still not over her experiences at the hands of the catholic church. We went to visit the convent she was born in (Roscrae) a couple of years ago. We were taken to a little garden where they buried all the unchristened babies that had died there (recently properly dedicated). It was basically a mass grave, with no markers. It was at the same time the most moving and the most horrible experience of my life.

I came to atheism at a very early age, not as a result of anything other than being able to see through all the nonsense. However, since my visit to Roscrae, I have been on a mission to stamp on theism wherever I encounter it.

Mum is only now beginning to shake her belief, and it's a wonderful time for me. We discuss god a lot these days, and I feel that the combination of her past and the sound logical arguments I have employed in our discussions have brought her to the point where she is finally ready to shed god once and for all.

Edit: Speeloing
Gearoid
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:56 pm

Re: Irish Catholic forum desends into madness

Post by Gearoid » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:18 am

FXR wrote:
This nut thinks all the evidence for Evolution is a fraud and the Earth is six thousand years old:

Perhaps his mammy is a virgin?
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 3003
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Cork
Contact:

Post by Ygern » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:46 pm

hackenslash wrote: Mum was born and raised in a convent for the earth-shattering crime of being born out of wedlock in 1945. She barely survived, and in some respects is still not over her experiences at the hands of the catholic church.
Wow, exactly my mother's story - exchanging 1935 for 1945. She's still terribly damaged because of it to this day.
psillery
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: Wicklow, Ireland

Post by psillery » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:05 pm

hackenslash wrote:Just wanted to say hi, and for several reasons this seemed the most appropriate place to do it. Let me explain:

Inedifix posted on the Richard Dawkins forum that he had been banned from the IC forum, so I signed up to give support. His posts on IC led me here.

@ Inedifix, thanks for that, I'm going to have some fun with those jerks, especially the cretinists.

And a tiny introduction.

I am a first generationer living in Manchester. My mother and father are from Tipperary and Galway respectively. Mum was born and raised in a convent for the earth-shattering crime of being born out of wedlock in 1945. She barely survived, and in some respects is still not over her experiences at the hands of the catholic church. We went to visit the convent she was born in (Roscrae) a couple of years ago. We were taken to a little garden where they buried all the unchristened babies that had died there (recently properly dedicated). It was basically a mass grave, with no markers. It was at the same time the most moving and the most horrible experience of my life.

I came to atheism at a very early age, not as a result of anything other than being able to see through all the nonsense. However, since my visit to Roscrae, I have been on a mission to stamp on theism wherever I encounter it.

Mum is only now beginning to shake her belief, and it's a wonderful time for me. We discuss god a lot these days, and I feel that the combination of her past and the sound logical arguments I have employed in our discussions have brought her to the point where she is finally ready to shed god once and for all.

Edit: Speeloing
Hi hackenslash. I am also over at IC. I am the other member expelled along with Inedifix. My name over there is Hemingway.

I recently got back in and started posting again.

Welcome to the site!
"All thinking men are atheists."
Ernest Hemingway
hackenslash
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:05 am

Post by hackenslash » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:37 pm

psillery wrote:
hackenslash wrote:Just wanted to say hi, and for several reasons this seemed the most appropriate place to do it. Let me explain:

Inedifix posted on the Richard Dawkins forum that he had been banned from the IC forum, so I signed up to give support. His posts on IC led me here.

@ Inedifix, thanks for that, I'm going to have some fun with those jerks, especially the cretinists.

And a tiny introduction.

I am a first generationer living in Manchester. My mother and father are from Tipperary and Galway respectively. Mum was born and raised in a convent for the earth-shattering crime of being born out of wedlock in 1945. She barely survived, and in some respects is still not over her experiences at the hands of the catholic church. We went to visit the convent she was born in (Roscrae) a couple of years ago. We were taken to a little garden where they buried all the unchristened babies that had died there (recently properly dedicated). It was basically a mass grave, with no markers. It was at the same time the most moving and the most horrible experience of my life.

I came to atheism at a very early age, not as a result of anything other than being able to see through all the nonsense. However, since my visit to Roscrae, I have been on a mission to stamp on theism wherever I encounter it.

Mum is only now beginning to shake her belief, and it's a wonderful time for me. We discuss god a lot these days, and I feel that the combination of her past and the sound logical arguments I have employed in our discussions have brought her to the point where she is finally ready to shed god once and for all.

Edit: Speeloing
Hi hackenslash. I am also over at IC. I am the other member expelled along with Inedifix. My name over there is Hemingway.

I recently got back in and started posting again.

Welcome to the site!
Aah, the infamous Hemingway!

Thanks for the welcome. :)
royalosiodhachain
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:49 am

Post by royalosiodhachain » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:53 am

FXR wrote:The Vatican: Evolution is fine
http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.com/20 ... -fine.html

I'm barred from their forum but in the case of a Catholic all you have to do is put the Vaticans stance on the subject to them and let them fight the Pope.
"

FXR, I am a Catholic and banned from irishcatholics for debating both Catholics and atheists without reason and without warning from the moderator. I agree with you that the moderation is incompetent in management skills as Michael G and his son cpm do not warn nor do they state their objections when dealing with posts they do not agree with which is both incompetence and cowardice. The least either could do is give a warning with a reason although I have seen moderation of that type on many other forums and primarily the motivation for arbitrary banning is that the moderator is afraid of stating his or her objections in a fair and reasonable manner and so they resort to a power over mentality of " I control the delete button so I win the debate". Do you agree with me?
royalosiodhachain
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:49 am

Post by royalosiodhachain » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:07 am

Ygern wrote:Inedifix, my kudos. But I don't know why you bother. It ought to be Catholics defending evolution in that thread (that is, if they care to retain a shred of integrity).
That's what's getting me too. But I strongly suspect that more moderate ones (Redmond excluded) are keeping quite in the hopes that I'll just go away. That way they won't have to go through the humiliation of actually banning me for doing nothing more than not believing in god. Where's Michael G? At least he could debate.

Inedifix, I agree with you in asking where is Michael G although I know he is afraid to debate as he does not know any answers. He already admitted he does not understand Catholics and that he himself is a late bloomer to that faith sometime in his 30s and still describes himself as marginalized by the Catholic church. I am perceiving that he has no opinions and simply enjoys having the power to push the delete member button so that he can win a debate without actually contributing to it by deleting those that are debating an issue. Also where is his son cpm [17 yrs old] a minor who also has no opinions to debate from but has been given the delete member button so he can follow in the footsteps of his father both supposing that they win the debate simply because they can push the delete member button? If anyone on that forum has a major problem in debate it is the moderators and founders of the forum. I see that Michael designed the forum specifically so that he himself could not be deleted. Michael previously did debate on catholic exchange although he would not tell me why he left there of if he was banned from that forum so started his own so that he could feel in complete control of the delete member button.
royalosiodhachain
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:49 am

Post by royalosiodhachain » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:12 am

hackenslash wrote:Just wanted to say hi, and for several reasons this seemed the most appropriate place to do it. Let me explain:

Inedifix posted on the Richard Dawkins forum that he had been banned from the IC forum, so I signed up to give support. His posts on IC led me here. My name over there is Hemingway.
Hemingway, I was monitoring IrishCatholics and saw your name there so thought I would say hi. I did not post during your time on that forum although I was banned before you went there.
Post Reply