Irish Catholic forum desends into madness

General discussions
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:17 am

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:40 pm

He actually also sent me a link to a website that doesnt exist saying there was proof there.

He also said he successfully logged into the Irish Catholics forum and was able to post. If you go there his account is still greyed out, he has no profile and there are no posts from him under that name, in fact there were no posts there all weekend. ("Nozz, I got onto the website of Irish Catholic's forum today and so I am not banned as you thought.....)

Therefore I think we have cause to actually be genuinely worried for his sanity and safety, and the safety of those around him. It is a shame we do not have the details to contact him, his loved ones, or the authorities near him.

It is clear however he is delusional. He is capable of sitting in front of a computer for some time and hallucinating things. Seeing websites that do not exist and imagining he is posting messages on a forum he is banned from. He is far from in sound mind.

I checked into the organisation he claimed to be part of. No one has heard of him or anyone matching any description I was able to get from his posts. So I am afraid I have no other ideas on what to do with the concern I now genuinely feel for his well being.
inedifix
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:57 pm
Location: New Zealand

Post by inedifix » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:10 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:It is clear however he is delusional. He is capable of sitting in front of a computer for some time and hallucinating things. Seeing websites that do not exist and imagining he is posting messages on a forum he is banned from. He is far from in sound mind.
That's probably a byproduct of all those years roadie-ing for rock bands, coupled with having a head that lolls on his shoulder by the slender flap of neck the US Military docs left him with. :wink:

But seriously though, getting e-mails from this guy. That's a). rather disturbing, but b). excellent fodder for an incredibly amusing blog! :lol:

I
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:17 am

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:50 am

I see yet another guilt ridden moderator couldnt live with his decision to segregate and remove the atheists and has resigned as moderator of the board again.

What do we think they are doing wrong? Take a look at the christian teens forum. They have no trouble at all.

Is it a problem of these moderators? Is it a problem of the catholic faith as oppsoed to other christian faiths? Or is it solely down to lying trolls like Royal, Stephen and redmond?
Superstitious Fool
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:41 pm
Contact:

Post by Superstitious Fool » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 pm

FXR wrote:Superstitious do you have to hang around with people like that after Mass :roll:
No, I have actually never met one like that. I think it has to do with being American.
Michael G
Superstitious Fool
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:41 pm
Contact:

Post by Superstitious Fool » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:03 am

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:Take a look at the christian teens forum. They have no trouble at all.
The Irish Catholics' Forum is really quite different. The Teens Forum reflects a very American outlook which is neither Catholic nor orthodox Anglican/Episcopalian, nor even born-again-Christian. It seems to attract young Americans who want to live like everyone else but also hold on to a little bit of soft comforting stuff about Jesus, life after death and "love" that they can quote at funerals, but with no inconvenient rules. Not unlike most Irish Catholics now, which many of you will see as progress.
Michael G
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 3003
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Cork
Contact:

Post by Ygern » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:08 am

Superstitious Fool wrote: ... a little bit of soft comforting stuff about Jesus, life after death and "love" that they can quote at funerals, but with no inconvenient rules... which many of you will see as progress.
Only in as much as its benign enough that it probably won't get anyone stoned to death. But its muddled, wishful thinking.

So, no its not progress.
Superstitious Fool
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:41 pm
Contact:

Post by Superstitious Fool » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:31 am

Ygern wrote:It's muddled, wishful thinking.

So, no its not progress.
No, neither from your point of view nor from mine.

Our (Catholic) position is that we start from a foundation of belief (or, as we call it, "revealed truth"), and then build a logical structure on it.

Would it be true to say that you start from an absence of empirical evidence for one position, which you take as proof of the opposite, and then build a logical structure on the opposite?

This is not a mischievous question; I would like to see the answers.
Michael G
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 3003
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Cork
Contact:

Post by Ygern » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:11 am

Superstitious Fool wrote: Would it be true to say that you start from an absence of empirical evidence for one position, which you take as proof of the opposite, and then build a logical structure on the opposite?
Not quite.

Most ideas, I'd agree occur in the shower or after a bottle of wine. But that's only an idea. Its not proof of anything.

The tricky bit is to prove the idea. And it doesn't go the way you'd imagine.

You don't say: 'How will I prove my idea?'

You say: 'How can I prove my idea is FALSE?'

And then you sit down and try to devise a test, or even better a battery of tests that will disprove your idea. To be certain you invite others along to disprove the idea too.

If after a good deal of testing, none of you can prove its false, you have reason to believe that you might be on to something. Maybe.

Its a very cautious process, very frustrating, requires rigorous honesty and bucketloads of patience.
Superstitious Fool
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:41 pm
Contact:

Post by Superstitious Fool » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:33 am

Ygern wrote:If after a good deal of testing, none of you can prove its false, you have reason to believe that you might be on to something. Maybe.

Its a very cautious process, very frustrating, requires rigorous honesty and bucketloads of patience.
That sounds like how I re-became a Catholic after not being one for 19 years.
Michael G
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 3003
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Cork
Contact:

Post by Ygern » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:38 am

Superstitious Fool wrote: That sounds like how I re-became a Catholic after not being one for 19 years.

Really? That's very interesting.

Please explain which processes you used to test how Catholicism and /or belief in God might be false.
Post Reply