Oldest bible found....

General discussions
randomcrisis
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Oldest bible found....

Post by randomcrisis » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:17 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7651105.stm

does the oldest equate to the correct one?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:35 pm

Ha ha, what do you think?
psillery

Post by psillery » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:53 pm

Its an interesting article. The comments at the bottom of the article are entertaining too.

I actually saw this bible in the British Museum in London some time back.
"All thinking men are atheists."
Ernest Hemingway
randomcrisis
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by randomcrisis » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:27 pm

did anyone ( I laugh heartily ) catch the biblothon thats going on in the vc?
its laughable...

truly laughable

I'm surprised they didnt have a premium rate number attached to it, get your favorite quote prayed...

I might actually give them ideas
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:04 am

Great, another bucket of bullshit to add to the caked up tubload of pigswill we all know and love as scriptural history.

I
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
billyg

oldest bible

Post by billyg » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:06 pm

"another bucket of bullshit", this release/exposure of religious documents helps to interpret the real history of christianity, and will help eventually to bring it all tumbling down
FXR

Re: oldest bible

Post by FXR » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:19 pm

billyg wrote:"another bucket of bullshit", this release/exposure of religious documents helps to interpret the real history of christianity, and will help eventually to bring it all tumbling down
I don't think so somehow.
If anyone is dumb enough to have believed the mish mash of inchoerent nonsense they had prior to this then another book is not going to make any difference. The only thing that will make a difference is the cyber warriors who sally forth and chanllenge all this ridiculous beliefs and force people to defend them and in doing so question those beliefs. Before this bible was discovered the vast majority of belivers in the western world were (and still are) convinced they are in contact with a 4.5 billion year old invisible man who split himself three ways to land in the Middle East during the Iron Age. If they belived that before then logic nor another dusty book is never going to bring about a wholesale conversion overnight.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:35 pm

FXR wrote: they are in contact with a 4.5 billion year old invisible man ...
:shock: Heresy! Splitter! *chokes with scorn*

Everyone knows its 6000 years!

4.5 billion indeed!
Next thing you'll be saying the Universe is 13,7 billion years old!
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Ygern wrote:
FXR wrote: they are in contact with a 4.5 billion year old invisible man ...
:shock: Heresy! Splitter! *chokes with scorn*

Everyone knows its 6000 years!

4.5 billion indeed!
Next thing you'll be saying the Universe is 13,7 billion years old!
Tuh....wil yew stop messin'
I have learned over at Irish Cathlick dat the universe is 13.7 billion years old and it was made 6 thousand years ago. It's all makes perfect sense............
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:43 pm

all makes perfect sense............
Um. :D

To get back to the actual book, there is probably some sort of Augustinian answer that allows one to pretend that the bits that don't contradict your faith have always been there really, only you just didn't know about them yet; and the other bits are just ... other and can be safely ignored.

Take a look at this

The argument goes like this: The Codex Sinaiticus is older than the King James Bible. There are bits 'missing' from certain verses in the older version. Therefore the older version must be corrupt.

Not even a hint of irony there. Nor a hint that maybe the more recent version had those lines added by someone who just made them up.