are catholics allowed to join this forum

General discussions
roseanna
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:30 pm

are catholics allowed to join this forum

Post by roseanna » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:43 pm

The reason I ask being, I just came across the discussion here on "Irish Catholic forum descends into madness" http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... d0c14740a4

The contributors to that discussion seem to be baiting the "Irish Catholics" to join them here for a debate. I quote inedifix:
"why not invite some of those guys over here" and later identifies them as "confused wet sheep".

Psillery later states:
"The rest of them are all crouched down behind the holy water font, peeping out around the pedistal hoping the angel gaberial will swoosh down and make things all better"

I've got 2 questions:
- are Catholics allowed on this forum?
- is it a particular group of posters on the Catholic forum that you are referring to as "confused wet sheep" or are these insults directed at Catholics as a whole?
Roseanna
A Catholic by the way
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Re: are catholics allowed to join this forum

Post by adamd164 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:10 pm

roseanna wrote:I've got 2 questions:
- are Catholics allowed on this forum?
- is it a particular group of posters on the Catholic forum that you are referring to as "confused wet sheep" or are these insults directed at Catholics as a whole?
Welcome to the forum. :)

Catholics, like people of all relgions and (of course!) none, are welcome to contribute to discussion and debate here, I don't think any member would disagree with me on that: there's absolutely no discrimination. In fact, as you can see from several posts in that thread, having alternative perspectives on significant issues would be very welcome and appreciated.

I don't want to speak for inedifix or anyone else, but I'm pretty sure he was directing those (slightly tongue-in-cheek) "wet sheep" comments at a particular group of individuals on that forum and not at Catholics per se. That's my reading of it in context.

Anyway, feel free to start a topic or two on anything you'd like to discuss!
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: are catholics allowed to join this forum

Post by FXR » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:20 pm

roseanna wrote: The reason I ask being, I just came across the discussion here on "Irish Catholic forum descends into madness" http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... d0c14740a4

The contributors to that discussion seem to be baiting the "Irish Catholics" to join them here for a debate. I quote inedifix:
"why not invite some of those guys over here" and later identifies them as "confused wet sheep".

Psillery later states:
"The rest of them are all crouched down behind the holy water font, peeping out around the pedistal hoping the angel gaberial will swoosh down and make things all better"

I've got 2 questions:
- are Catholics allowed on this forum?
- is it a particular group of posters on the Catholic forum that you are referring to as "confused wet sheep" or are these insults directed at Catholics as a whole?
Catholics have been invited to discuss here on numerous occasions. Just today a over on IC another invitation was issued to discuss the proposed canonisation of Eugenico Pachelli.

Superstitious Fool (as he calls himself over here) who is a devout Catholic and a pre Vatican II fan has posted here many times.
http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1459

Personally I'd love to get a bishop on here for a debate not just ordinary Catholics. Regards "confused wet sheep" the only person who can answer that is the person who made the remark.

The thread "Irish Catholic forum descends into madness" refers to the fact that IC banned a number of people for no more than disagree on various aspects of religion but was shortly thereafter host to quasi Catholics one of who thinks the earth is six thousand years old and is not revolving. The other is evidently a pathological liar and raving loony from the US. Youv'e got some pretty whacky fellow travellers if you're a Catholic.

Neither of them have been banned but Indifix had a whole thread of 162 pages deleted without warning even though he kept to the rules. He was arguing very eloquently for the proposition that the Earth does in fact revolve and is more than six thousand years old.
I take it you’re a Catholic?
Are you in/from Ireland?
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
roseanna
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Post by roseanna » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:33 pm

I'm a Catholic, in Ireland, not the most devout Catholic and not the most well-versed Catholic either, as in, I couldn't quote realms of the Catechism to you. I'm not a member of any Catholic forum by the way, but was searching the net for an RC forum when I came across that particular thread I referred to above on the 1st page of search results,which is pretty astonishing.

I perfectly understand if you'd rather or members would rather I didn't post here, but I do like debates so am willing to join one if there are no objections.

As I said,my lack of quotable knowledge re: the Vatican, Church history, may frustrate some,but my faith is there - I don't preach because I'm such a crap Catholic I don't feel I could with any authority - but I like debates. That's pretty much it.

I totally respect others'beliefs too,so have no intention of antagonising anyone - for a start,I'd be totally outnumbered anyway.
Roseanna
A Catholic by the way
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:23 am

Post by ctr » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:54 pm

Welcome

All views welcome and we don't bite....well I don't anyway.:?

I don't think anyone would object to Catholic, Christian of any sect, Muslims, Buddhists etc. posting here.

Be prepared to defend why you believe what you believe though!

But I hope all would debate respectably.
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by FXR » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:36 pm

roseanna wrote: I perfectly understand if you'd rather or members would rather I didn't post here, but I do like debates so am willing to join one if there are no objections.
I don't know why anyone would object but even if they did it would be their problem. This is not a club. The site is owned by one individual and he's the moderator.
roseanna wrote:As I said,my lack of quotable knowledge re: the Vatican, Church history, may frustrate some,but my faith is there - I don't preach because I'm such a crap Catholic I don't feel I could with any authority - but I like debates. That's pretty much it.
That sound like you might be what they call one of them thar a la carte Catholics (does that make the rest of them table d’hôte Catholics?).
The fact that you don't know a lot of the history of the RCC just puts you in a very big club. Most people who call themselves Catholics don't know a whole lot about Catholicism. The Vatican does it's level best to avoid teaching the whole history of the organisation and with good reason.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
roseanna
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Post by roseanna » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:50 pm

I do believe everything the RC Church teaches, though I personally have failed on many counts, so I don't know whether that makes me a la carte or not.

As to my lack of knowledge re: Church history, I see the institution of the Church as proof that humans are weak. I know the Church has made HUGE mistakes in the past, and probably will make more in the future - but then the Church isn't God. It hopes to be directed by God, but as is clear, sometimes human weakness lies behind its decisions.

I would look at my personal faith as springing from the Bible and Jesus' example on Earth, I would see the Church's position as being to assist me in this faith, to help me carry out what Jesus taught, but at the end of the day, it does not dictate what I believe. If that makes any sense. :?
Roseanna
A Catholic by the way
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Post by adamd164 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:26 pm

Speaking personally, your knowledge (or lack thereof) about the history of the church wouldn't bother me in the slightest. In my experience, theologians and preachers are highly un-representative of your average religious person anyway.

I find the question of the probability of god's existence the one that most interests me in terms of a debating point. To that extent, I'd just like to ask what makes you believe that god (your god, Yahweh: the god of the Christian bible) truly exists and the multitude of others which have been posulated down through human history do not?
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by FXR » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:40 pm

roseanna wrote:I do believe everything the RC Church teaches, though I personally have failed on many counts, so I don't know whether that makes me a la carte or not.

As to my lack of knowledge re: Church history, I see the institution of the Church as proof that humans are weak. I know the Church has made HUGE mistakes in the past, and probably will make more in the future - but then the Church isn't God. It hopes to be directed by God, but as is clear, sometimes human weakness lies behind its decisions.

I would look at my personal faith as springing from the Bible and Jesus' example on Earth, I would see the Church's position as being to assist me in this faith, to help me carry out what Jesus taught, but at the end of the day, it does not dictate what I believe. If that makes any sense. :?
Is there not a contradiction there Roseanna between your first statement and your last:
I do believe everything the RC Church teaches

I would see the Church's position as being to assist me in this faith, to help me carry out what Jesus taught, but at the end of the day, it does not dictate what I believe.

As a matter of interest have you ever read the whole Bible and do you believe it was written as it exists now (in it's many different versions) as a single book?

Re the Jesus character (no one in the Iron Age could have been named Jesus by the way) do you firmly believe that you can be one hundred per cent certain that you are reading verbatim what someone is supposed almost two thousand years ago?
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
inedifix
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:57 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: are catholics allowed to join this forum

Post by inedifix » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:11 am

Hi Roseanne,

As you can see, anyone and everyone is welcome here. That's one of the things you'll discover about atheists, we're an extremely tolerant bunch. Irreverent, argumentative, frequently sacrilegious and rather strong on demanding evidence, but tolerant. No one gets banned for their beliefs, though they sometimes get pilloried for failing to support them robustly.

Unlike Irish Catholics, the site you mentioned. I was invited there. I posted politely, and despite being constantly badgered by one individual, remained patient and kept to the rules. My posts were welcomed by several of the Catholic members there. I spent about 2 months and many, many hours of my time debating two deluded individuals who believe the earth is 6,000 years old and doesn't rotate or orbit the sun (which is against Catholic doctrine by the way). And then one morning the moderator, without any warning, deleted me. Completely. All 162 posts. So you'll have to forgive me if I characterized some of them in less than glowing terms.

I
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
Post Reply