Should we seek statements on this from catholic priests?

General discussions
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Should we seek statements on this from catholic priests?

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:46 am

Catholic Abbot Christopher Jamison of West Sussex attacks Disney this weekend.

While he acknowledges that Disney stories carry messages showing good triumphing over evil, he argues this is part of a ploy to persuade people that they should buy Disney products in order to be "a good and happy family".

Now I can hardly point out that this is very similar to the church itself! More and more the bible has been recognized as not being literal but being stories of imagery and imagination to highlight moral ends. I also do not need to point out how the Catholic Church and the Vatican get paid handsomely for these ends. So where is the difference?

Full story here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... minds.html

It is hardly for the Church to accuse anyone of corrupting Children. Especially not after this document here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/au ... tion/print
Which showed that the Vatican told bishops to cover up sex abuse.

The 69-page Latin document bearing the seal of Pope John XXIII was sent to every bishop in the world. The instructions outline a policy of 'strictest' secrecy in dealing with allegations of sexual abuse and threatens those who speak out with excommunication.

I wonder if in the light of this old document, should we demand catholic clergy in ireland make a statement about this weekends statement from Jamison.

The very least they should say is that, although they might not want to attack the churchs position or support disneys, they should at least be willing to acknowledge that they do not have ANY credentials upon which to be making comments of this sort _at all_
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:42 am

no cos i agree too much with him.
test
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:12 am

This is nothing new. Walt Disney was an atheist.

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/fridaynew ... 50610.html

Walt Disney was an atheist and his cartoons prepared generations of children to think that witches are innocent fun and that there is such a thing as “white magic” and “good sorcery.” Recent examples of Disney movies that preach a New Age Gospel are the Lion King, Pocahontas, and the 1994 movie Squanto: A Warrior’s Tale. The main message of Squanto is this: The Indians worship the same Creator God as the Christians and in fact have more to teach the Christians about morality than the Christians them. In the end, the pagan Indian teaches the Pilgrims to live in peace and to be compassionate.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:40 pm

Thanks for that link, FXR.
I'm currently enjoying their END TIMES APOSTASY ONLINE DATABASE

I'm intrigued to see that they list Animal Rights as something that will ensure your passage to eternal damnation, but they seemed to have missed out Atheists altogether.

You don't supposed we're on the Saved list? :shock:

Mind you, I'm thrice damned for "believing" in such atrocities as Evolution, Female Leadership and Computers.

Michael G, you haven't been forgotten. Roman Catholics are also on the eternally damned list just for good measure. :lol:
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:44 pm

Join us next week on:
Now Thats Dammnation!
when we'll be explaining how mixing fibers in your clothing, eating unpeeled apples and stroking cats tail to head will get you DAMMED!
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:57 pm

You forgot shellfish!

Eating seafood is evil (Leviticus 11:10)
Also, pork sausages - proof again that the Irish are damned :P
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:04 pm

FXR wrote: stroking cats tail to head will get you DAMMED!

Well, it will certainly get you rended limb from limb by an irate feline demon :lol:

That's as close as you want to come to Damned, believe me.
Hell hath no fury like a pussycat slighted.
Superstitious Fool

Post by Superstitious Fool » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:20 am

Ygern wrote:I'm currently enjoying their END TIMES APOSTASY ONLINE DATABASE
Michael G, you haven't been forgotten. Roman Catholics are also on the eternally damned list just for good measure. :lol:

Simple syllogism there. Yiz are all just Catholics in denial.
Michael G
FXR

Post by FXR » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:29 am

Superstitious Fool wrote:
Ygern wrote:I'm currently enjoying their END TIMES APOSTASY ONLINE DATABASE

Simple syllogism there. Yiz are all just Catholics in denial.

Yeh just told me in another thread that you only went off atheists because they fart during sex and the Catholics did'nt. That would make you not so much a Catholic as a Knobolic..... 8)
pH

Post by pH » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:47 am