David Quinn asks Where are the Atheist charities

General discussions
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:31 pm

FXR wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:
FXR wrote:
Thats the intelligent equivalent of throwing boiling water on a noisy cat.
Yeah thanks a heap for the constructive criticism. It was the intelligent equivalent of me telling you to go fuck yourself.
That was a compliment Bip. I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. I was alluding to the fact your argument stripped his bare (as in took the fucking fur off his back)
Sorry if it did'nt come out the way I meant it. I'll have to write a book on understanding Irish humour if this keeps up.
Ok. sorry for taking it the wrong way. Your metaphor lead me to believe you were suggesting the letter would only make Quinn and co. bark louder. :oops:
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:35 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
Ok. sorry for taking it the wrong way. Your metaphor lead me to believe you were suggesting the letter would only make Quinn and co. bark louder. :oops:
No James that's not what I meant. I just shot it up there but rereading it I think it's not as clear as it could be. I'm basing it on the cats in my area who, when you shag boiling water on them, usually lash off in the other direction like you'd expect a scaled cat would.

Jaysus they must have awful tough cats in Austrailia :o
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:46 pm

FXR wrote:
Jaysus they must have awful tough cats in Austrailia :o
They do actually. We just shoot them.
Jennie

Post by Jennie » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:19 pm

This article is in this morning's indo in it's entire glory :? My Dad made a point of showing it to me with the (well-intentioned) attempt to prove to me that religion isn't all bad. In hindsight I think it was a half-hearted attempt to convert me back as I have been ambiguous about my (non)beliefs to him thus far. He only sees it as a phase of rebellion against the catholic church. Yes at 22 my parents still believe that I am having rebellious phases!

As he doesn't know that I am a fully blown atheist, he didn't anticipate the extent of the discussion/argument that he got himself into. It was not one that either of us wanted to be having at 8 this morning I can tell you :) Now I have all the respect in the world for my dad and his beliefs, even in as much as I vehemently oppose them. His faith has got him through some really tough times and he would always be open to a debate on religious issues - even if we never agree. But even I was shocked this morning at just how entrenched his beliefs are. He wholeheartedly agreed with this article and believes that atheism is solely reserved for 'bad' people. He couldn't even entertain the notion (as the discussion progressed) of a secular Ireland.

If this is what we are faced with in the more liberally-leaned and intelligent (which my dad is) demographic, what hope is there for the rest of the country?
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:03 pm

Jennie wrote:Yes at 22 my parents still believe that I am having rebellious phases!
They never grow out of it either. :)
I think its just one of those quirks of being a parent; your child is always your child.
If this is what we are faced with in the more liberally-leaned and intelligent (which my dad is) demographic, what hope is there for the rest of the country?
I think you are highlighting a crucial point here. Its one of the things that Atheist Ireland (and perhaps the new UCC group?) needs to focus on: raising consciousness that atheists are nothing like the Mary Kenny caricature.
washington
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by washington » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:22 pm

Quinn needs to be tackled on this...If I hear one more charity add beamed at me this Xmas...I'll burst!...half my morning post goes straight into the bin...If I hear John O'Shea moaning about Africa one more time..I'll nut him!....what these 'charities' are doing is relieving the responsible governments from doing what they should be doing..namely caring for their people...same goes for the VDP...if they didn't intervene the Government would have to fulfill their responsibilities...we pay our taxes and the Dept. of Social wefare does it's bit but could do a lot more and would be shamed into doing so if not for these so called charities. Maybe the Quinns of this world need these orgs merely to assauge their middle class catholic guilt.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:18 pm

i kinda agree when it comes to baby p, maybe just maybe it isn't secularisation but chronic underfunding of social services which was the real downfall on societies side..
Last edited by lostexpectation on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
test
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:20 pm

washington wrote:Quinn needs to be tackled on this...If I hear one more charity add beamed at me this Xmas...I'll burst!...half my morning post goes straight into the bin...If I hear John O'Shea moaning about Africa one more time..I'll nut him!....what these 'charities' are doing is relieving the responsible governments from doing what they should be doing..namely caring for their people...same goes for the VDP...if they didn't intervene the Government would have to fulfill their responsibilities...we pay our taxes and the Dept. of Social wefare does it's bit but could do a lot more and would be shamed into doing so if not for these so called charities. Maybe the Quinns of this world need these orgs merely to assauge their middle class catholic guilt.
In fairness there is no way in hell the government could get the resources to where they need to be as efficiently as SVDP. They don't have to pay their volunteers and presumably after successfully operating in so many countries for so long they must have their operation down to an artform.

IMO what sucks most of all is that the government taxes me on my donations to SVDP just because I can't afford to donate 250 euro.

Post Edit:
I do agree that these charities are in your face though. As someone who frequently gives to charity, I find it really annoying when someone sticks a bucket in front of my face and tries to shame me into paying up.

I gave AUD$1000 to the Australian red cross after the tsunami on boxing day 2004 (I chose Australia over Ireland because they were closer to the action and that money was in an aussie bank account). It was way more than I could afford straight after christmas. I remember things being really tight for me that month and having to put up with dirty looks from people in my office when I selfishly chose to eat that day rather than put the little bit of change I had in the bucket. I couldn't really stand up and tell them I already donated more money than they collected from everyone in the office that day.
Last edited by bipedalhumanoid on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:26 pm

Jennie wrote:Yes at 22 my parents still believe that I am having rebellious phases!
At 32 my parents believe I am going through a rebelious stage that started when I was 14. I'm still a catholic apparently and I have no say in the matter. Wait till I have kids and choose not to baptise them :shock:
Jennie

Post by Jennie » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:55 pm

I think that's what I'm trying to say Ygern, thanks. I feel like I spend too much of my time defending atheists/non-religious/secularists et al, when that energy could be put to much better use. I do realise that people revert to personal digs when confronted with clear logic and have nowhere else to go with their argument. Well it's either that or quoting scripture... I can't decide which I find more frustrating! But sometimes I find myself wholly disheartened with the fight when it resorts to this. Why can't people just play nice?? (I'm an idealist at heart!) What's even worse is the amount of people that buy into this BS every day.

But hopefully with the up-and-coming UCC group I can actually do something to counter-act all this. Bring on the new year!
bipedalhumanoid wrote: At 32 my parents believe I am going through a rebelious stage that started when I was 14. I'm still a catholic apparently and I have no say in the matter. Wait till I have kids and choose not to baptise them :shock:

and here was me thinking that it would get better with time :lol: