Veritas advert banned by BCI

General discussions
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Veritas advert banned by BCI

Post by Colin » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:15 pm

A christmas advert from those fun folks at Veritas has been banned by the BCI because it has a religious end. They kicked up a fuss and claim that people are forgetting the real meaning of Christmas. (I agree.... but I don't think Veritas and I are reading off the same hymn sheet on that one)

They are threatening to judicially review the BCI's decision to ban the advert and hoping that new legilsation will change the wording to banning an advert with a religious end to banning an advert that promotes one religion over another. Which is STUPID!!!!!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... king81.htm
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:41 pm

sounds like there going to allow religious advertising in the new broadcast bill if you read that IT article. !

anybody read it? did any atheist or the humanist put in a submission.

veritas are the only christmas ad that claims to have god on its side to sell it trinkets.
Last edited by lostexpectation on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
test
dickspicer

veritas advert banned by BCI

Post by dickspicer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:03 pm

Myself, John Colgan ang Mike mcKillen lodged a submission with BCI review body. Basically saying state should but out of controlling advertisig on religuous grounds. We went on to say that the real issue in broadcasting was the programming of RTE. Despite repeated representations to the authorities RTE continues to virtually ignore the large non-religious community .
The sumissions are all on the BCI review webssite. Dick
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:10 pm

I especially enjoyed this quote from Spokeswoman Maura Hyland:
“We note a myriad of adverts being broadcast for alcohol, for example - which are not creating difficulties for the BCI,” she said.
Which would be...uh... because they aren't trying to promote religion.
Is she a closet Legion of Mary advocate too? Just doesn't like drink? Just doesn't think other people should drink?

This is an example of not so much barking up the wrong tree, as being in the wrong forest to start off with.
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:21 pm

The real meaning of Christmas is to heal the ailing economy..
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:57 pm

Am I on my own in thinking the ad should be allowed? It's hyper-sensitivity to offending people of other religious beliefs that's lead to the rule; religion shouldn't give someone the right to control the advertising of others. I'm offended by lots of things, doesn't mean I want them all banned. And I certainly don't think religion should have special priviliging.

Allow them to advertise, allow us to advertise. That's what I say!
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:03 pm

adamd164 wrote:Am I on my own in thinking the ad should be allowed?
No. I completely agree with you. I intensely dislike the idea of censoring ideas and voices that disagree with your own.

But considering how hypersensitive an awful lot of people seem to be, how keen they are to get offended at the drop of the hat (or was that dog in a hat?), I can sometimes see why authorities just go with a blanket ban.
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:13 pm

Particularly with regards to religion though; it gets undue weight. People might be offended by issues relating to race, sex, etc., and often over-react when something cuts too close to the bone, but those are still all fundamentally valid reasons for taking offence. Religion isn't, and that's why I feel strongly about this.

As said, it's been banned for the benefit of other faith heads who'll claim outrage, not us atheists.

Same type of people who have companies wishing "happy holidays" around this time of year in the states.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:46 pm

well one can argue whether this ad should be allowed, and it shouldn't cos it breaches current law.

but you can argue whether it should be allowed under new laws.

i guess under free speech it has to be allowed,but it would have to regulated so it doesn't incite hatred, i wonder how you'd check the factuality of the ad, i think we'll be bombarded by all sorts of weird religious ads and more psychic stuff.

look what deregulation did to our financial system, the freemarket is not god.

it would somewhat increase the need for wealthy people to get involved in religion to win the battle of ads.

i presume ads critical of religion are banned too? i presume that doesn't apply to the sides of buses.
Last edited by lostexpectation on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
test
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:13 am

adamd164 wrote:Am I on my own in thinking the ad should be allowed? It's hyper-sensitivity to offending people of other religious beliefs that's lead to the rule; religion shouldn't give someone the right to control the advertising of others. I'm offended by lots of things, doesn't mean I want them all banned. And I certainly don't think religion should have special priviliging.

Allow them to advertise, allow us to advertise. That's what I say!
On the other hand, the less religious advertising that's around, the less events that are traditionally religious will be considered so.