General discussions
JH
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Atheists Gear Up For Bus Battle

Post by JH » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:10 pm

Sky 'News' : http://tinyurl.com/8v7lol

Atheists Gear Up For Bus Battle
"A £140,000 atheist advertising campaign has been launched on British buses and on the London Underground. A total of 200 bendy buses in London and 600 buses across England, Scotland and Wales will carry the slogan this week following a fundraising drive which raised more than £140,000.

The money raised will also pay for 1,000 advertisements on London Underground from Monday."

etc..etc...

I love the caption they put under the photo of Richard Dawkins.
Caca

Re: Atheists Gear Up For Bus Battle

Post by Caca » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Great! It will help make up for that "Jesus the Carpenter needs Joiners" sign outside a church I often pass. :lol: I wonder why the use of "probably". To encourage debate or to appease the faithful masses?
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:43 pm

Probably because however unlikely that there is a god one cannot prove it.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:17 pm

JH wrote:
I love the caption they put under the photo of Richard Dawkins.
:D I wonder whether that was the work of the reporter or some sub-editor?
You ever they are, they're obviously hoping this will catapault them to front-runner and lead-contender in the Eternal Emperor of Obvious-Land competition.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:30 pm

BBC news on the launch here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7813812.stm

Nice to see our own Graham Linehan of Father Ted fame made it!
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:39 pm

jack99

Post by jack99 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:09 pm

And why the hell aren't we doing this here ?
Since its donation phase began in October, the Atheist Bus Campaign has inspired atheist organisations across the world to launch their own bus campaigns. Spain’s Union of Atheists and Freethinkers is launching buses across Barcelona today with the UK slogan translated into Spanish, Italy’s Union of Atheists, Agnostics and Rationalists is also planning a bus campaign, while the American Humanist Association has brought out atheist bus adverts in Washington DC.
http://www.humanism.org.uk/news/view/202
Surely if we contact some of the other worldwide atheist org.'s they'd be able to help us get organised, raise funds to do an Irish Atheist Advertising Campaign ? Or am i wrong and this organisation is all about talk ?
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:57 am

Its been discussed in a number of threads. Seek and you shall find.

Nice opening post though :lol:

Welcome to the forum
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:02 am

jack99 wrote:And why the hell aren't we doing this here ?
Since its donation phase began in October, the Atheist Bus Campaign has inspired atheist organisations across the world to launch their own bus campaigns. Spain’s Union of Atheists and Freethinkers is launching buses across Barcelona today with the UK slogan translated into Spanish, Italy’s Union of Atheists, Agnostics and Rationalists is also planning a bus campaign, while the American Humanist Association has brought out atheist bus adverts in Washington DC.
http://www.humanism.org.uk/news/view/202
Surely if we contact some of the other worldwide atheist org.'s they'd be able to help us get organised, raise funds to do an Irish Atheist Advertising Campaign ? Or am i wrong and this organisation is all about talk ?
I'd like nothing more but there were too many nay sayers preventing it from getting off the ground. Now the wave has passed.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Caca

Post by Caca » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:33 pm

This was being discussed earlier today with Tom Dunne on Newstalk. Apparently our own Graham Linehan (creator of Father Ted) unveiled one of the buses 8)
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."