Should we change the Irish flag, what does it really mean.

General discussions

Sugested to do a poll on this so... 2 votes each pick (a) and (b)... So (a1+b2 = tricolor+A)

(a1) Keep the tricolour plus pick option (b)
35%
(a2) The tricolour has served its purpose time for a change pick option (b)
4%
(b1) No change
27%
(b2) Include the scarlet A in the flag ??? (As If)
8%
(b3) It should repersent a more modern Ireland
12%
(b4) It should repersent our Celtic history
15%

Total votes: 26
fitz0

Re: Should we change the Irish flag, what does it really mean.

Post by fitz0 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:38 pm

munsterdevil wrote: How about Mary Harney or Brian Cowen, or are they classed as snakes at this stage?
No Id class her more as a sow, but not sure what you can put him as!

As for the flag I would never change it. If you asked a hundred people on the street you might find 5 or 6 that actually know what it means.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:21 pm

fitz o said:
As for the flag I would never change it. If you asked a hundred people on the street you might find 5 or 6 that actually know what it means.
i know exactly what you mean, I had an argument one day with a workmate who was trying to convince me that green stood for the pasture, white for the dairy and gold (not orange!) stood for the minerals!

He was so adamant about it that he would not talk to me for the rest of the day because he thought what I said (the real meaning)was a pro union with Britain outlook :lol:
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:54 am

i mixed the green and orange together 50/50 on in photoshop and and got a puke colour.... *shrugs*
test
ThinkForYourself

Post by ThinkForYourself » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:25 pm

I dont think changing the flag would be a very good idea! personally it doesnt mean peace between catholics and protestants or nationalist and unionists! To me it represents the place i grew up! iv been looking at that flag since the day i was born and i cant imagine looking at anything different
Belief is a matter of guess work, Truth is a matter of hard work!!
Scorpio

Post by Scorpio » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:42 pm

lostexpectation wrote:i mixed the green and orange together 50/50 on in photoshop and and got a puke colour.... *shrugs*
I like your style! :D
Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer. - Anonymous
cosmosforest

Post by cosmosforest » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:52 pm

ThinkForYourself wrote:I dont think changing the flag would be a very good idea! personally it doesnt mean peace between catholics and protestants or nationalist and unionists! To me it represents the place i grew up! iv been looking at that flag since the day i was born and i cant imagine looking at anything different

Hear, hear!
I don't know about anyone else here, but the Tricolour is like the Eiffel Tower to a Frenchman, or the Statue of Liberty to an American - it's the symbol of my home, where I grew up, and all the memories attached to my life thus far.
Very few people today would accept a change, in my opinion!
"Only the dead have seen the end of war"
Plato
lawlorlicious

Post by lawlorlicious » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:30 pm

munsterdevil wrote:I cannot see a change from the tricolour for a long time, only in the case of a united Ireland which I also cannot see happening, at least in my lifetime

If there ever is a united Ireland the flag will have to change from the tricolour, but presumably there will still be green and orange in it, and maybe red for Ulster and the cross of St. Patrick.
That is true, which is ironic because the flag was originally intended to represent all of Ireland! Personally I think it still should be the flag for a united Ireland seeing as it represents peace and unity between the two traditions, but I know the vast majority of Unionists would disagree!
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:03 pm

flags change very often its only about 100 years old.
hmm green white and red, we'd have to fight italy for that.

there is that whole eire nua federal ireland of 4 provinces thing which is somewhat interesting,
Last edited by lostexpectation on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
test
cosmosforest

Post by cosmosforest » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:24 pm

lostexpectation wrote: there is that whole eire nua federal ireland of 4 provinces thing which somewhat interesting,
got an img link?
"Only the dead have seen the end of war"
Plato
dj357

Post by dj357 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:23 pm

hmm...certainly an interesting discussion, and as usual I tend to be straddling the fence with one leg on each side. I think the religious affiliation that can be associated with the flag certainly needs re-examining, and in the light of that a new flag would probably be the end-result, but I'm also certain that as loathsome as I find patriotism, I do see that flag as I symbol of who I am and where I come from, and even though I would never define myself by my nationality I probably wouldn't wish to see the flag changed.

in the end though, although heritage is nice and everything, and I'm all for preserving our history as I believe it's extremely important, I still feel that the only reason for NOT changing the flag, a static symbol people can point at as identifying a nation, is merely people being stubborn and fighting change. The fact of the matter is that the flag we have today, though it may have represented the Ireland of its time, does NOT represent the Ireland of today.

A static symbol, up to a certain threshold of change, represents a static ideal. Ireland is not a static ideal.
"In meinem Himmel gibt's keinen Gott!"
I'm An Atheist...
Midwest Humanists!! - http://midwesthumanists.wordpress.com