Should we change the Irish flag, what does it really mean.

General discussions

Sugested to do a poll on this so... 2 votes each pick (a) and (b)... So (a1+b2 = tricolor+A)

(a1) Keep the tricolour plus pick option (b)
35%
(a2) The tricolour has served its purpose time for a change pick option (b)
4%
(b1) No change
27%
(b2) Include the scarlet A in the flag ??? (As If)
8%
(b3) It should repersent a more modern Ireland
12%
(b4) It should repersent our Celtic history
15%

Total votes: 26
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Should we change the Irish flag, what does it really mean.

Post by aZerogodist » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:13 am

munsterdevil wrote:@ azerogodistA Poll might be a good idea, perhaps a few options such as keep the present one, change it to a more modern one etc.
As you wish... kind of hard to come up with fair options,
People please do not take this poll to serious
Here is mine:
Catholics to the left of me, Protestants to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:12 pm

munsterdevil wrote:
FXR wrote:Keep the flag. It will never be changed. What should be changed is that dirge that passes for the National Anthem.
To be honest I wouldn't be in favour of changing the National Anthem either, lets face it its better than Ireland's Balls!
A lot of anthems across Europe are as militant, like the French and English ones (Don't go by what they sing for God Save the Queen at official events, it's the latter verses that they don't sing that are fairly provocative!
I think for most people the words are meaningless. It's the tune that makes the difference. The French one is a bloody great tune without knowing what the words mean. The Irish national anthem by comparison is dreary. It sounds more like something you'd play at your dead dogs funeral. I'd be in favour of Tabhair dom do Lamh (Give Me Your Hand) by Turlough O Carolan. You want something that gets the blood going while you're saluting the FLAG!

There are lots of traditional tunes that could have words written for them while people were looking at the FLAG waving in the breeze. Tabhair dom do Lamh might even frighten the All Blacks!

Planxty playing the Raggle Taggel Gypsie followed by Tabhair dom do Lamh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRjaTChJu5U
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:41 pm

FXR SAID:
I think for most people the words are meaningless. It's the tune that makes the difference.
To be honest I find it very rousing, but then again that could be my GAA backround talking, but still I find it a good catchy tune, but that's just me.

Oh and Flower of Scotland and Land of My Fathers are my personal favouites after Amhráin na Bhfiann whilst were on the subject (I don't think I've ever seen a thread to stray off topic like this one has!)
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
lawlorlicious

Post by lawlorlicious » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:15 pm

SunWorshipper wrote:
cosmosforest wrote:
SunWorshipper wrote: Effectively, there is no Irish, Gaelic or GAA word for the colour orange. I wonder why?
Eh..oráiste is the irish for orange!!
Trust me, the modern irish language has words for everything these days.
Van - veain
Wardrobe - cófra or várdrús
Internet - quite literally translated to idirlíon

It's a bastardisation I think, but the rest of this post will go off-topic if I continue.
Yes, oráiste is the Irish word for the orange fruit. But my point was that there is no Irish word for the colour orange. Even in English, the GAA do not seem to accept that there is a colour orange. Surely you have heard that Kerry play in green and gold, even though it is patently obvious that they actually turn out in green and orange?
Actually, Kerry's colours look much more like green and yellow. I can see where you're coming from with Antrim though!
Caca

Post by Caca » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Totally off point, but there was a funny problem in the army recently.
The army wear a "flash" (small flag) on the right arm of their
jackets and loads of them came in with the flash upside down; therefore
we were being defended by the Fianna of the Ivory Coast :lol:
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."
SunWorshipper

Post by SunWorshipper » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:55 pm

lawlorlicious wrote:
Actually, Kerry's colours look much more like green and yellow. I can see where you're coming from with Antrim though!
I agree with you about the yellow, but the GAA and sports commentators still refer to it as "gold", which it is clearly not.
UDS

Post by UDS » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:09 am

SunWorshipper wrote:
lawlorlicious wrote:
I agree with you about the yellow, but the GAA and sports commentators still refer to it as "gold", which it is clearly not.
Actually, it is gold. The Kerry colours were adopted (in the late nineteenth centrury) by a resolution of the County Board which specified “green and gold”. They are probably taken inspired by the arms of the Kerry County Council which shows, among other things, a crown against a green background. While the crown is in practice coloured yellow or orange, since crowns are typically made out of precious metal rather than fruit naming the colour as “gold” is probably permissible artistic licence.

We also have to remember that in the nineteenth century true gold fabric dye did not exist, so any county adopting “gold” as one of its colours knew that it would be represented on jerseys with some version of yellow or orange. Quite a number of counties adopted gold – apart from Kerry, I can think of Leitrim, Meath, Wexford and Tipperary; there are probably more. Clare and Antrim adopted “saffron”, a colour with a Celtic-romantic association with the ancient Irish, who were often described as wearing saffron-coloured clothing (probably because a saffron colour was one of the few permanent dyes they could make). Roscommon adopted “primrose” – God knows why – Kilkenny “amber” and Carlow “yellow”. Only Armagh adopted “orange”.

It’s a mistake to think that any yellow or green/yellow combination in GAA colours is a reference to the national flag. The county colours were mostly adopted well before the tricolour became the dominant national (or nationalist) symbol, and generally find their inspiration elsewhere. I don't know what inspired Armagh's choice of orange, but it strikes me that it probably wasn't a reference to the loyalist tradition.
cosmosforest

Post by cosmosforest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:10 am

SunWorshipper wrote:Yes, oráiste is the Irish word for the orange fruit. But my point was that there is no Irish word for the colour orange.
A little bit late replying here, but after attending two very well known "scoileanna lán-Gaelach", I grew up learning that oráiste is the word for both the fruit and the colour, as it is in English.
And I don't pay that much attention to GAA matters - I was raised in a soccer household, and don't bother with that anymore.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war"
Plato
TomBarry

Post by TomBarry » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:56 pm

The only way the flag will be changed is, if a united Ireland is agreed to by unionists in the north. A couple of conditions would have to be met first before that happens,
1) The south of Ireland joins the commonwealth
2) The influence of the catholic church is removed from government

For the sake of a united Ireland, and considering what sacrifices both nationalists and unionists would have to make to achieve this, a new flag would need to be agreed, as well as a new anthem etc

I would agree to this as a united Ireland would have to be a secular country so that one tradition or religion doesn't dominate the other
"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." - George Bernard Shaw
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Tue May 05, 2009 11:36 am

I wouldnt bother changing it. What about all the tattoos the members of our less elite classes would have to modify? All those tricolours on biceps and forearms would have to be updated. Have you no hearts? :lol:
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken