Leaving the catholic church

General discussions
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Leaving the catholic church

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:29 pm

It would make quite a big statement if you could get a large number of people to defect all at once :twisted:
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
niallllll

Post by niallllll » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:05 pm

It would be a big statement perhaps if you did get the vast majority of people on this board to do it. As an individual i would be inclined to leave it be, (after all its just a meaningless piece of paper) but i would certainly join in the request with others as a statement.......
smiffy

Post by smiffy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:27 pm

Dane wrote:Hi,

I dont know if this has been discussed before but does anyone know if its is possible to actually officially leave the catholic church in Ireland? Untill recently my lack of association with anything religous has been enough for myself but the idea that i am still officially a catholic is starting to irritate. In germany it is possible to leave because they have a church tax and leaving is a way of not having to pay this. But here??????
You could procure an abortion. That's an automatic red card!
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
ThinkForYourself

Post by ThinkForYourself » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:08 pm

I would like to be debaptised so whenever one of those annoyin little people come along and go "aw you were baptised so ur catholic" and dnt care what your beliefs actually are i cud shove it in their face!! heh heh! then again why shud u care what they think?
But i dont like the idea of my debaptism being seen as a sign that i actually respect the system of the catholic church and that i see the "rite" of baptism as a valid process!!
Belief is a matter of guess work, Truth is a matter of hard work!!
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Scorpio wrote:Thanks...
I feel so horrible and dirty knowing I 'legally' exist as a Roman Catholic... :lol:
Yes, in the paper it said that the members of the church support Bishop MaGee, well thats you and me if we are still classed as members of that club.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Colin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:08 am

Ygern wrote:But there's little point in aggravating your parents for the sake of an empty gesture.
Bingo! That's all it is. Signing a de baptism cert or requesting to be struck off the baptismal register is an empty gesture. There is no contractual basis and as there is no consideration, you'd have no rights to enforce their striking off.

Your best bet is to use the data protection act to object to the church using your information, but that does not prevent them saying you were baptised. Sadly the truth is an absolute defence, even if you don't like it.
8. Right to object

A data controller may intend to use your details for official purposes, in the public interest or for their own interests. If you feel that doing so could cause you unnecessary damage or distress, you may ask the data controller not to use your personal details.

This right does not apply if:
• you have already agreed that the data controller can use your details;
• a data controller needs your details under the terms of a contract to which you have agreed;
• election candidates or political parties need your details for electoral purposes; or
• a data controller needs your details for legal reasons.

You can also object to use of your personal details for direct marketing purposes if these details are taken from the electoral register or from information made public by law, such as a shareholders’ register. There is no charge for objecting.
Scorpio

Post by Scorpio » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:39 am

aZerogodist wrote:
Scorpio wrote:Thanks...
I feel so horrible and dirty knowing I 'legally' exist as a Roman Catholic... :lol:
Yes, in the paper it said that the members of the church support Bishop MaGee, well thats you and me if we are still classed as members of that club.
AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer. - Anonymous
cuchulainn

Post by cuchulainn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Dane wrote:Hi,

I dont know if this has been discussed before but does anyone know if its is possible to actually officially leave the catholic church in Ireland? Untill recently my lack of association with anything religous has been enough for myself but the idea that i am still officially a catholic is starting to irritate. In germany it is possible to leave because they have a church tax and leaving is a way of not having to pay this. But here??????
Do as I did... put atheist on the census form...
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:24 pm

cuchulainn wrote: Do as I did... put atheist on the census form...
If you do that you statically count as another religion i.e. religious – you should put down none.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
bliss

Post by bliss » Wed May 27, 2009 2:55 pm

Its quiet easy as my son left the catholic church last year.
What you do is write to the Archbishop House in Dublin 9 as follows:

"Under the rights of self determination of faith, given to me through Vatican II, I desire to exercise this right, and, it is
my wish to defect rom the Roman Catholic Church as of this missive. I understand fully what this entails with regards
to the institution of marriage and the consequences thereof."

They will write back to you and may ask to meet with you but you just have to write back saying
that you do not wish to meet with them and that your reasons for leaving are for you conscions alone.

Oh and you also have to tell them where you were baptised and the date.

They will send you back your birth certificate with "cessation of membership of catholic church".

It will take a few weeks but its easy enough to to.