Leaving the catholic church

General discussions
bockedy

Re: Leaving the catholic church

Post by bockedy » Wed May 27, 2009 4:22 pm

We should put together a MS Word / ODF template or some such. Make it as easy as possible to defect. Hell, why not setup a domain like leavethecatholicchurch.ie with details. With a website, and the current controversy steaming around the media, it could even get media coverage.
May Ea smite thee with the might of his fist!
ash

Post by ash » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi,

started a new thread on this, didn't notice this one ongoing, sorry!

I have been giving a lot of thought to the merits of having my name offically removed from the register of the RC church. I was happy with declaring myself an Atheist but, in the light of the Ryan report and recent gay-hating statements from the top dogs I have decided that I want my name removed for the RC census. I don't want my name associated with their dangerous and outdated views any more and I don't want to be counted among their numbers.

While I don't give any credence to the voodoo that they did do when I was a baby I know that they do!

Ok, so the next problem was how to do this. I kinda figured that simply writing to the parish priest wouldn't do the trick. In my extensive search (I googled the vatican) I have come up with this:

If you write the following to the church that holds your records they are obliged to debaptise you

1. “I wish to declare my formal defection from the Catholic Church in accordance with canons 1086, § 1, 1117 and 1124 of the Code of Canon Law as mentioned in notification Prot. N. 10279/2006 from the Pontifical Council for Legislative Texts.”
2. “I hereby reject the teachings, dogma and authority of the Roman Catholic church and any benefits, so-called sacraments, graces and blessings supposedly bestowed upon me, either in the past or the future. Furthermore, please note that I make these statements personally, consciously and freely.”
3. I respectfully request confirmation that this act has been noted in the baptismal registry (cfr. can. 535, § 2) with explicit mention of the occurrence of a ‘defectio ab Ecclesia catholica actu formali’.”

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/ponti ... is_en.html

It would seem that including all the latin bits and canon law numbers if necessay for it to be accepted.

Someone posted to me on the other thread that they have done this and it works.

While not everyone will feel the need to do this I think it is important for me to lodge my little protest with the RC's

Cheers

Ash
ash

Post by ash » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:35 pm

sorry that link is:

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/ponti ... is_en.html

Particularly like the bit were they say:

4. The defection must be a valid juridical act, placed by a person who is canonically capable and in conformity with the canonical norms that regulate such matters (cfr. cann.124-126). Such an act must be taken personally, consciously and freely.

so it's ok to baptise you as a baby when you are unable to have any say but as a rational adult you have to be deemed capable of making the decision to be debaptised!

Also like this bit:

7. It remains clear, in any event, that the sacramental bond of belonging to the Body of Christ that is the Church, conferred by the baptismal character, is an ontological and permanent bond which is not lost by reason of any act or fact of defection.

Emm, doesn't matter what the individual thinks or says, we've got them for life , muh ha ha ha (evil laugh)
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:53 pm

I see someone has automated the process of defection along with a few other FAQ resources on the issue here:

http://www.countmeout.ie/