Apostasy-Poll leaving Catholic church, Formal Act Defection

General discussions

Defection count (you can change vote-progress)

Succeded in Apostasy or eliminating the record of your name from Irish church records.
8
36%
1st letter sent waiting cover letter & defection form.
4
18%
Not bothered - that the church classes you as a Catholic
10
45%
 
Total votes: 22
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1280
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Co. CORK
Contact:

Apostasy-Poll leaving Catholic church, Formal Act Defection

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:14 am

I'm just reposting the most useful info here on how to officially leave the Catholic Religion: (Could we make this a campaign sticky)

Why:
Because the church still counts you in even if you say your non-religeous on the census form. Officially your baptisim & confirmation state that you are a member of the club. Which can be used for continued control of schools
RC Dublin Stats84.2%
RC Cloyne stats98.4%
Also they have your information.

How to:
1. All info & official Defection form here
->Send a letter to the Bishop/Archbishop where you where baptised stating "Defection by Formal Act" ->include info about baptism/parents ect.
->include reason state reason etc.
<Recieve "cover letter" & "the Defection form"
->fill in send back. include bap-cert if have one.

2. DP http://www.dataprotection.ie/documents/rights/2.htm
FXR wrote:I called the Data Protection and the guy suggested I write into them because he was not sure what the situation was. If you wrtie to the CCL they have to reply in four days telling you what info they have on you.

>Dear Dataperson
I would like to know how I would go about having all records held by the Catholic Church Limited on me completely deleted. It has come to my attention that the CCL is using this data to falsely claim I am a member of said organisation thereby associating me with superstition, cannibalism, child abuse, various cults and numerous irrational practices. I would like to point out that I was made a member of this religious cult without my permission or knowledge by my parents who were suffering from a system of brainwashing practiced by this cult which is run one Herr Joseph Ratzinger of Rome, Italy.

Thank you.
xxxxxxxxxxx
***********************************************************
Info: Certificate of De-Baptism

Current Dioceses:
http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/country/die2.html
Cork & Ross Cloyne
Dublin
Kilmore-Cavan
Limerick
Kerry
Meath

Why More:
Martha wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:In Ireland the non-religious are being forced to get their kids baptised or they risk not being able to find school places. That absolutely sucks and that's another reason to excommunicate as an adult.
Then its up to those parents to go to the government and insist on their right not to be forced to do anything by any group! That's why we elect a government. We didn't elect the Catholic Church to run our health and education systems. Its about time the Irish people (en masse) woke up!
HaloJones wrote:I'm not sure that putting Atheist on the census form is enough. I'd like to be scrubbed from the Church records as well, and I suppose the 2-finger salute to them that comes as a by-product of this action would be a nice bonus.

I don't agree that asking to be removed from their official figures makes me complicit in their fantasy. It removes from them the power to use my number to swell their figures artificially. Don't let them have that. Don't give them an inch.
To comment on this topic post here
Last edited by aZerogodist on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Re: Apostasy -Poll of success in leaving Catholic church

Post by adamd164 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:32 pm

Great work getting this put together into one neat post.

Option 1 for me - I had my defection recorded on the baptismal cert and sent back to me.
UDS
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:23 am

Re: Apostasy-Poll leaving Catholic church, Formal Act Defection

Post by UDS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:35 am

It's useful to have this information here, but it's worth pointing out that only the first method, the formal act of defection, is effective in getting the Catholic church to cease to regard you as a member.

Even if the Data Protection Act allowed you to force the Catholic church to delete the record of your baptism - and it doesn't, if you were in fact baptised - that would not mean that you cease to be a Catholic, any more than you can cease to be Irish by burning your birth certificate or passport, or cease to be married by burning your marriage certificate. Altering or destroying records does not alter the facts recorded in those records and, in the Catholid view, it is your baptism which made you a Catholic, not the recording of your baptism in the Parish register.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1280
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Co. CORK
Contact:

Re: Apostasy-Poll leaving Catholic church, Formal Act Defection

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:29 pm

I included that as it was mentioned and that we do have rights over the church.
UDS
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:23 am

Re: Apostasy-Poll leaving Catholic church, Formal Act Defection

Post by UDS » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:07 am

Sure. And it's usefuil to have information about these various courses of action grouped together in one place.

I just wanted to make the point that, if your object is to change the views of the Catholic church about whether it considers you a member (as opposed to simply registering a protest, or drawing attention to your own view on the question), only the formal act of defection is any use.
tsumare
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:09 am

Re: Apostasy-Poll leaving Catholic church, Formal Act Defection

Post by tsumare » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:16 pm

How exactly is my race defined in the Census? My father is white and my mother is a pacific islander. Which race do I go by? This census stuff is weird.
__________________________________
[url=http://www.keywordspy.com]keyword research[/url] ~ [url=http://www.keywordspy.com]keyword tool[/url] ~ [url=http://www.keywordspy.com]keyword tracking[/url] ~ [url=http://www.keywordspy.com/overview/keyw ... te%20elite]affiliate elite[/url]
Last edited by tsumare on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I post spam and I'm banned.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Apostasy-Poll leaving Catholic church, Formal Act Defection

Post by chemicals » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:47 pm

any info on leaving other churches e.g COI ,Baptists,FreePrez etc?
والقس هو مجنون
ceret
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Re: Apostasy-Poll leaving Catholic church, Formal Act Defection

Post by ceret » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:47 pm

aZerogodist wrote:Because the church still counts you in even if you say your non-religeous on the census form.
Actually they claim they don't do that. I tried to leave/defect and couldn't, since they don't let you anymore. However they say:
Archdiocese of Dublin wrote: It may be of interest for you to note that the Archdiocese does not make use of baptismal registers for calculating the Catholic population of the Archdiocese of Dublin. It relies solely on the data from the Central Statistics Office, obtained through teh census, by which citzens themselves choose to record, or not, their religious affiliation.
This is in the letter they wrote back to me when i tried to defect from the catholic church
lostexpectation
Posts: 1993
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Apostasy-Poll leaving Catholic church, Formal Act Defection

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:53 am

well there's that they'll still claim you and then theres they'll still count you. godly powers and census, i don't want either.
test
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1266
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Apostasy-Poll leaving Catholic church, Formal Act Defection

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:50 am

What's Apostasy?
Post Reply