CCL front spends 60k on anti-stem cell campaign

General discussions
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

CCL front spends 60k on anti-stem cell campaign

Post by adamd164 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:52 pm

Billboards have started popping up EVERYWHERE down here over the last week or so opposing UCC's decision to permit stem-cell research. They are being run by Youth Defence, a CCL front who've been plugging for years their homophobic, sexist ideal of celibate youth, home-bound women and re-enabled criminalisaton of "sodomy" (see here). According to this Irish Times article, the campaign is costing €60k in total.

A few news articles which should give you an idea of what this shower are like if you're unaware: http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/darg/a ... pt_yd.html

There are a few versions of the posters themselves. One says "73 treatments from adult cells / 0 from embryonic cells" ... the first clinical trial of an ESC treatment was only approved by the FDA on Jan 23rd, 2009! The results aren't in yet, but it looks like they've already found a cure for a crippling spine impairment!
Another one claims that ESR "offers no cures", as though it never will. They've also got pictures of highly-developed in utero fetuses on them.

Complaints can be lodged with the Advertising Standards Authority at: http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: CCL front spends 60k on anti-stem cell campaign

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:59 pm

First a disclaimer against the risk of you taking me up wrong: I am by no means challenging your choice to post this in the religion atheism section by asking this question, so do not pick me up the wrong way when I ask this as I would have asked the same thing if you had posted it in the science section.

But

I am curious, are the espousing any openly religious based arguments against the stem cell research in any of these advertisements? Or is the religious agenda of this organisation effectively veiled in this campaign?

Also if possible a few photos of the adverts posted on this thread would be of great interest for those of us who will not get a chance to see them.
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:05 pm

They're well known as Catholic hardliners - ALL of their policies and campaigns have been in line with CCL teaching. They're funded by wealthy American Catholic organisations.

I don't have a picture I'm afraid, I'll try to get one if I can.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:09 pm

Thanks, that would be great and yes I realise that and who they are and what their modus operandi is and so on.

I'm just curious how much of that is coming across in the ads to people who might NOT be aware of that. Is there any openly religious references in the ads you referred to above or have they avoided that?

In other words how are they portraying themselves to the lay man who doesn't know better like you and I do? Is there anything that will make Joe Public look at this ad and realise this is a religiously motivated agenda being espoused?
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:15 pm

Oh, they try to make it look like there's no religious motivation whatsoever. They're just 'concerned citizens' as it were. Much like anti-choicers generally do, when we all know the truth.

IMO it's actually a bit like the whole "intelligent design" vs creationism lark - the political wing trying to separate itself from what lies beneath for fear of being exposed as the extremist bigots they are.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:19 pm

That is good to know thanks. I look forward to hearing or seeing what the full content of their ads are.

I'm missing Biped now. He is just the very man to get a good letter in the indo or the times about this.

Another good question is, is this something we should push the admins of atheist Ireland to publicly oppose and if so, on what grounds. If they were pushing an openly religious agenda it would be a no brainer. Now it takes a little more thinking.
Globi

Post by Globi » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:56 pm

Thanks for posting, Adam.
If possible, I would like to see a copy of these posters.
Youth Defence operates under many different guises, all directed from the same headquarters.
60a Capel St, Dublin is the address of a number of ultra right wing fundamentalist organisations such as Youth Defence and the Pro-Life Alliance and Coir.
60a Capel St was also the registered address of Mr. Justin Barrett’s "Mother and Child Campaign" during the Nice Referendum Campaign in 2002. During the 2002 campaign it emerged that Mr. Barrett had association with extreme right wing, fascist organisations in Europe.
Barrett's wider agenda included the deportation of Irish Protestants as the "only solution" for Northern Ireland, otherwise predicting that "Ireland may well lament in blood". He also "claimed that parliamentary government was "foreign" to Irish people and unsuited to their needs".
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:32 am

This is just one of the designs they have.

The point, to-reiterate, is that the FIRST medical study using ESC research was only commissioned LAST MONTH!!

adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:33 am

nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:40 am

I said on another post that if I was going to worship a god it might be a certain user of this site.....

said user is now in contention with you!!!!

Well done and thank you, that was FAST. I offer the same invitation I did to him. I will be in whelans this Saturday and if by some coincidence you happen to be in dublin and near that bar come in for the pint I owe you....

Back on topic.... what awful posters!!!

The second is just plain wrong because the cells used are so early in the process that they do not even begin to look like a fish, let alone a human. They are an "undistinguished clump of cells 1000 times smaller than the brain of a fly" to put it in sam harris' words.

The first is just stupid. This is an area of research in it's infancy. How many areas of research could you have come to in it's early stages and closed it down because it has not had any results YET? We may as well stop any human endeavor before it even begins based on this method of "thought". This is a PATHETIC argument and I HOPE that even people who agree with these people are outraged by it just as people who agree abortion is bad are outraged by the people who post up pictures of aborted babies for shock value. The extremes of every movement embarrass their members and I hope this poster ends up a testament to that.