CCL front spends 60k on anti-stem cell campaign

General discussions
Neil

Re: CCL front spends 60k on anti-stem cell campaign

Post by Neil » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:42 am

Just to contrast with the above, here's a picture of an actual 3-day-old embryo:
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."
- Terry Pratchett
JH
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by JH » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 am

adamd164 wrote:Image
wtf does 'embyonic' mean? :roll:
Jennie

Post by Jennie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:30 am

The billboards are absolutely ridiculous. It's clearly just another scaremongering tactic. The (4 week approx??) embryo is clearly there just to get the pro-lifers up in arms. They pretty much said it themselves:
“We’re expecting this campaign to make a huge difference to public awareness and to raising opposition to UCC’s plans to begin experiments on stem cells obtained by destroying human life,” said Eoghan de Faoite of YD. “It’s will be the biggest campaign ever seen opposing embryo research in Ireland and, most importantly, it reaches out to the pro-life majority to get them involved, That’s when the politicians and UCC will start to feel the pressure.”
http://www.stemcellethics.net

Hmmm..... Adam... that first photo looks distinctly familiar to me..... almost as if I took it myself.... :P
Where words fail - music speaks
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:13 am

Jennie wrote:Hmmm..... Adam... that first photo looks distinctly familiar to me..... almost as if I took it myself.... :P
:oops: Thanks Jennie, good work. And be sure if you're lodging a complaint to attach it!!
Neil

Post by Neil » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:32 pm

They must know that this is grossly misleading... I mean, surely they've done their homework on stem-cell research and didn't just start a €60k ad campaign on the back of "one of my mates did a google search and thinks he remembers something about killing babies..."
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."
- Terry Pratchett
Jennie

Post by Jennie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:18 pm

Neil wrote:They must know that this is grossly misleading... I mean, surely they've done their homework on stem-cell research and didn't just start a €60k ad campaign on the back of "one of my mates did a google search and thinks he remembers something about killing babies..."
I imagine that they're counting on the fact that a lot of people will just believe the billboards without researching it any further. The worst thing is you know most people will take them at face value. Also, the lifespan of a billboard is quite short.... they'll have done their damage and be postered over before any complaint gets through the system.
Neil

Post by Neil » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:26 pm

There must be something that can be done. Perhaps stencilling over the billboards with a wikipedia style [citation needed] might be a way of at least getting people thinking (without being too pushy and "atheist" about it).
- Terry Pratchett
gcooke

Post by gcooke » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:36 pm

What horrid people. I don't have anything to add to this discussion except to say that ultra-right-wing religious organisations like this are a massive danger to society with their blatant ignorance and homophobia. I've looked them up online - as far as I'm concerned there is no difference between being a racist and being homophobic because you're born how you're born, which makes these people, and the pope also, on par with racists.

On another note it's rather sad that they have the organisational power and money to erect these bullshit posters - I was of the opinion that "you can't herd sheep" when it comes to atheism, but following the bus ads, it seems things can be organised. Its a pity a response can't be put together quickly. UCC?

G.
JH
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by JH » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Let the campaign die. Don't give them free publicity by fuelling it.
Jennie

Post by Jennie » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:30 pm

gcooke wrote:On another note it's rather sad that they have the organisational power and money to erect these bullshit posters - I was of the opinion that "you can't herd sheep" when it comes to atheism, but following the bus ads, it seems things can be organised. Its a pity a response can't be put together quickly. UCC?

G.
Well at the moment we're still getting the society up and running as we have our IGM next week, so not a lot can be done before then. Any posters that I've seen around have been replaced by now so a midnight graffiti session isn't going to do us any good Neil :lol:

Personally I'm inclined to agree with JH in that by making a big deal out of it we might be adding fuel to the whole thing. So maybe personal complaints might be better. I will however bring it up at the next meeting and see what people want to do.