adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Ratzinger claims condoms would worsen African AIDS crisis

Post by adamd164 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:52 pm

DurErnil

Re: Ratzinger claims condoms would worsen African AIDS crisis

Post by DurErnil » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Do you ever kinda wish that its a bad dream that stupid old men like his "Holiness" have you so much power over peoples minds? I don't want to think how many people will take him seriously.
lawlorlicious

Post by lawlorlicious » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:18 pm

I'm not even seeing his argument on this: in what way do condoms worsen the spread of AIDS?
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:40 pm

He must be over 70 – I hope he dies soon.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:42 pm

The article doesn't go into details like this, although it's entirely possible that His Holiness doesn't feel he is obliged to explain his rationale.

But I can tell you exactly what the "logic" is here:

Telling people that condoms will help prevent the spread of the disease will give them the false impression that they are safe to have sex as much as they like so long as they have a condom.
More people having more sex equals more AIDS cases.
And we can't be having that, now can we.

Considering that his archbishops have been preaching that condoms are so designed that the AIDS virus passes right through them; we shouldn't be too surprised at this little ill-informed bit of ignorant fear-mongering.

Strike 2 in less than a fortnight... Strike 1 being the Vatican's official ratification of the excommunication of the doctors who performed an abortion on a 9 year old rape and incest victim.

It should be clear to anyone by now; these are not moral decisions by moral people. It amounts to whip-cracking to try to get the faithful back in line with their outdated dogma.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:40 pm

His holiness is doing our job for us. More statements like that drive people into our ranks.

What a plonker :shock:
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
IrishKnight

Post by IrishKnight » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:15 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

Sorry, couldn't help meself

I really think that stuff like this hurts the church more than we can ever do. I'm not one who wants to see the church become stronger or whatever, but where is their PRO when they come out with stuff like this?!
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:48 am

Ze fires of zeh are real! Kristianity was not empozed an zee south american indians, zey ver zecretely vishing for it! Ze other churchs are not real churchs! Kondoms spear ze AIDS I tell yew dumpkopf!

He's a Freemason plant, he just has to be!
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Spain has announced it is sending a million condoms to Africa to help fight the spread of AIDS .

Next stop for the Pope: Angola.
Let's see is he manages to get the other foot into his mouth ... as Peter Popham writes in the Independent

In previous pratfalls the Bavarian theologian has welcomed back into the Church a bishop who flatly denies the existence of the Nazi gas chambers, refused to sign UN declarations on the rights of homosexuals and the disabled, denied the possibility of inter-religious dialogue after praying in a mosque, insulted Muslims en masse, and failed to mention the Jews while visiting Auschwitz.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:25 pm

Cork Skeptics