Ratzinger claims condoms would worsen African AIDS crisis

General discussions
Patrick Fowke

Re: Ratzinger claims condoms would worsen African AIDS crisis

Post by Patrick Fowke » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:01 am

Donald,
donalderocitt wrote:Apologies for the mis-quotation Patrick, but I think it's unhelpful that you use the same term for a deistic and theistic god. The concepts are totally different.
I never mentioned theist / personal god in the argument about Einstein and 'God doesn't roll dice' and fine-tuning. In fact, I actually used the word 'deistic' (already re-quoted twice). The point being that deists believe in God not for subjective reasons but for rational / scientific ones. Personal God (theism) has nothing to do with deistic belief. Please: just look at the thread, again.
Patrick Fowke

Post by Patrick Fowke » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:05 pm

Goodbye. Good luck.
Last edited by Patrick Fowke on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.
davef

Post by davef » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:12 pm

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
saintsebastian

Post by saintsebastian » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:25 pm

davef wrote:Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
Please be careful, this door is double hinged so it may strike someone also coming in. Take care brother!
andrew

Post by andrew » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:03 pm

saintsebastian wrote: Your estimate is way off, the Vatican[the Catholic church does not maintain a reserve of wealth, only an operating budget to sustain the Vatican operation. The parish church communities do not maintain a reserve of wealth either, they operate by donation which sustains their operations. The Catholic communities already promote and support the healthcare and the food supplies for millions of children and adults around the world by donations to charitable organizations so your idea presumes that nothing is being done when in fact charity has been the legacy of the Catholic church since it's inception over 2000 years ago.
Hi Saintsebastian,

I'm not talking about reserves of cash or stocks and shares. ( Of which they have plenty ) I'm talking about liquidating the entire operation. I don't deny the charity work and aid that is performed by catholic organisations but this could just as easily be done without promoting and reinforcing beliefs in magic.
Emm....would anyone like to see my monkey impression?
Neil

Post by Neil » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:37 pm

So yeah, condoms...

We use them, and so should Africans.
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."
- Terry Pratchett
donalderocitt
Finance Officer
Finance Officer

Post by donalderocitt » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:40 pm

Patrick, the point of the sentence you quoted,
it's unhelpful that you (and people in general) use the same term for a deistic and theistic god. The concepts are totally different.
, was merely to point out that (for example) the statement "Patrick believes in God" and (the one you've been using) "Deists believe in God" are not equal, not only because "Patrick" is not equal to "Deists" but also because the "God" used in one sentence does not equal the "God" in the other.

You have continued to ignore the main point of both my previous posts.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:50 pm

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 35363.html
According to Cardinal Turkson the manner in which some people in African countries use condoms has resulted in the spreading of the Aids virus.

“For a lot of people condoms can just be used, be cleaned up and be used again . . . That’s not how people use condoms here in the West. So it gives people a false sense of security ,” he said.

“People think that using condoms will prevent the spreading of Aids but it is actually helping the disease spread. So he was drawing attention to the risks involved in trusting or depending on condoms to stop the spread of Aids,” he said.
firstly euuuuh,
well the pope really hs great habit of not explaining himself properly, he's not crazy people just minsunderstood
test
Neil

Post by Neil » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:58 pm

That simply proves the point that open and honest discussion about sex and safe-sex practices are a good thing.

Good ol' Ratz, doing our job for us again.
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."
- Terry Pratchett
saintsebastian

Post by saintsebastian » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:38 pm

andrew wrote:
saintsebastian wrote: Your estimate is way off, the Vatican[the Catholic church does not maintain a reserve of wealth, only an operating budget to sustain the Vatican operation. The parish church communities do not maintain a reserve of wealth either, they operate by donation which sustains their operations. The Catholic communities already promote and support the healthcare and the food supplies for millions of children and adults around the world by donations to charitable organizations so your idea presumes that nothing is being done when in fact charity has been the legacy of the Catholic church since it's inception over 2000 years ago.
Hi Saintsebastian,

I'm not talking about reserves of cash or stocks and shares. ( Of which they have plenty ) I'm talking about liquidating the entire operation. I don't deny the charity work and aid that is performed by catholic organisations but this could just as easily be done without promoting and reinforcing beliefs in magic.
Hi Andrew, The problem with liquidating the Catholic church is that mankind would never be able to identify the reason for the current economic crisis which I have already found in the Prophetic Book of Ezekiel concerning usury. The entire banking industry is based on interest charges which in the Old Testament of the Bible was called, "usury fees". When the bank charges you 6.5% on a home loan for 30 years for a house valued at $150,000 the total amount that you would owe at the end of 30 years would come to $300,000 so the bank made a tidy profit of $150,000 at your expense. This is what happens to governments and banks when they operate without religious values. This is what is called usury and is forbidden in the Catholic church but allowed in Ireland at any bank. Credit cards charge as much as 25% interest or usury fees. I have an idea, you keep your current philosophy and see how far you get and I'll keep my faith in the Catholic church and together we can meet somewhere when we are about 95 years old and see who fared better. Is it a date? P.S. I mailed President Obama and Gordon Brown Prime Minister and the rest of the G20 team to inform them the stimulus package and regulations of the banking industry wont work unless they regulate usery fees to no more than 1%