i am a evangelical christian

General discussions
Adonai88
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: i am a evangelical christian

Post by Adonai88 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:29 pm

Neil wrote:And again, Adonai, this needs to be stressed. Even if science doesn't have the answers to your questions, that doesn't make God the answer by default. That is still the God of the gaps argument.
My friend

we can choose between something illogical, reasonably unsustainable, impossible, and your " God of the gap ".

I remain with the " God of the gap " :wink:

one more time.....

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... _gaps.html

Many skeptics believe that all arguments for the existence of God fall into the God of the gaps variety. According to this premise, one would expect these arguments to become fewer in number as scientists make more discoveries and learn more about our world. In reality, evidence continues to accumulate suggesting that the universe was designed by an intelligent agent. The evidence suggesting that the universe and its physical laws were designed continues to accumulate at a rapid rate.
JH
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: i am a evangelical christian

Post by JH » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Adonai88 wrote:I remain with the " God of the gap " :wink:
If the foundation of your religious belief and faith is that of a 'god of the gaps', and you're happy with that position, then great.

It appears you're unwilling or unable to intelligently debate the issue, or listen to the many contributors to this thread who have dismissed that weak argument.

So, tell me again. Why are you here?
bockedy
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Re: i am a evangelical christian

Post by bockedy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Adonai88 wrote:If as result, permanent matter would arise, then you would be right.
(My emphasis)

You say "permanent" matter, as if you are the arbiter of what's "permanent". Matter arises all the time, everywhere, it's just that it usually self-annihilates. At the edge of a black hole, particle pairs can be torn apart and stay around longer.

Don't try to introduce a different argument. You still have to retract that rubbish you posted.
May Ea smite thee with the might of his fist!
bockedy
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Re: i am a evangelical christian

Post by bockedy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:22 pm

Adonai88 wrote: I remain with the " God of the gap " :wink:
Must be very cosy, nestled in that logical fallacy, is it? You can sit there happily in your own ignorance, while science erodes away the edges of the gaps, full in the knowledge that no matter how many strides scientists make towards explaining life, the universe and everything, that there will always be an infinitesimal sliver of ground that science has not yet explained, to which you can point, "See? God lives there! (Oh, and by the way, try to forget that I said God lived over here, because I will.)" And even more bizarrely, if science proves some fact C halfway between A and B, you would say, "Now instead of one gap, now there's twice as many gaps !!!!"
May Ea smite thee with the might of his fist!
Adonai88
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: i am a evangelical christian

Post by Adonai88 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:23 pm

JH wrote:
Adonai88 wrote:
So, tell me again. Why are you here?
that's a good question. In fact, i think i have no reason to be here, and to continue to post at this forum.

therefore, all the best to the participants, and the ones , that followed this thread.

Angelo
Globi
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:45 am

Re: i am a evangelical christian

Post by Globi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:30 pm

My dear Adonai88, you seem totally lost. But please, do not despair, I'm sure you'll find lots of new friends at the following site.
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublons ... ociety.htm
Have fun.
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: i am a evangelical christian

Post by Hemingway » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Adonai88 wrote:
JH wrote:
Adonai88 wrote:
So, tell me again. Why are you here?
that's a good question. In fact, i think i have no reason to be here, and to continue to post at this forum.

therefore, all the best to the participants, and the ones , that followed this thread.

Angelo
Farewell...... Hopefully posting on here may have encouraged you to think for yourself up to a point.

Although the cutting and pasting you engaged in from very poorly informed creationist websites leads me to fear you may be too far immersed in their false rhetoric to see that you are being misinformed.

When you have proof of the creator, do come back and share it with us. I'll be straight off to my nearest church to praise "Big G"....... and you my friend will be nominated for the Nobel Prize for science.

I won’t hold my breath though....
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
Hobbesian World View
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: i am a evangelical christian

Post by Hobbesian World View » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:54 pm

It would have probably been more effective to challenge his belief in christianity rather than his belief in god. I think thats the first natural milestone on the road towards atheism/rationalism.

Its much easier to become dubious about christianity, because of all the contradictions in the bible and in christian practices. Its so obviously bullsh*t. And then only after theyve dumped christianity, should they progress to the next step, dumping god.
robdonn
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Dublin

Re: i am a evangelical christian

Post by robdonn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:08 am

Adonai88 wrote:The evidence suggesting that the universe and its physical laws were designed continues to accumulate at a rapid rate.
Awww, don't go. I really want to know what this evidence for design is.
I'm fucking Matt Damon!!
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:23 am

Re: i am a evangelical christian

Post by ctr » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:34 am

I found a blueprint...does that count?? :)
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Post Reply