Anonymous atheists

General discussions

Are you hiding your atheism from family/friends/colleagues?

Yes, mostly
No votes
Absolutely not
78%
Sometimes
22%

Total votes: 23
divil_a_bit

Post by divil_a_bit » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:31 am

I will openly and proudly tell people that I am an atheist when the subject arises. I don't have a problem with that.

My Grandmother knew I was an atheist for the last 10 years of her life. She was a very religious catholic woman but respected my opinion. During one conversation, she even said to me "... sur maybe you're right and there is no God". I nearly fell off my chair!
Tora wrote:I've spent a long time coming to this conclusion, and ask them how much time they've spent doing the same. Most don't have a reply to it.
I use this line a lot and I get the same response as Tora ... blank faces.

When talking to theists, I tell them I've read quite a few books on the subject written by theists and atheists and I've very happy with my decision. In most cases with people who are a similar age to myself (28 ) and claim to be Catholics, I find that I am much more informed about their religion and knowledge of the bible. I find this is very strange - they claim religion is an important part in their lives but they seem to know very little about it.
RedPill

Post by RedPill » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:54 pm

FXR wrote:By the time I was fifteen I was being locked out in the back garden when the local vatican mullah came calling. As soon as he entered the house I had to be dragged out of the hallway and out the back door.
Very funny! :D
When I was a rebellious teenager I had to be told to shut up as well, but it wasn't as bad as being locked away! ;)

For some reason all the priests who were teaching religion in the schools I went to, took a great interest in me... academically speaking, take your dirty minds out of the gutter... even before I told them I don't believe what they preach. After they found out it just got worse, but also interesting.
I see their point though. Imagine dedicating your life to something you belief in and then have a 10-year-old tell you he think's it's all a fariy tale.
divil_a_bit wrote:I find this is very strange - they claim religion is an important part in their lives but they seem to know very little about it.
I noticed this too with a lot of people I grew up with... they're the ones we have a chance of "saving" and should focus on. Realistically no one will convert a die hard faith-head, but the people who are just catholic because they never really thought about it.
FXR

Popes and Presidents

Post by FXR » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:54 pm

When dealing with the religiously deluded what you often get is someone in violent denial.
I can still picture the "Christian Brother" foaming at the mouth when my retort to his point in a class debate seemed to send him into some sort of psycho meltdown.

After boxing him (verbally, I was 15 at the time) into a corner he resorted to his fail safe reply:

Christian Brother: Well it just is because the Pope says so!

Me: Fuck the Pope!

When me and my fellow agitators in the class finally caused this guy a nervous breakdown we celebrated with a victory parade in the school yard of the college.

Popes and Presidents know there's no God its the sheep that follow who are deluded.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
alfonso
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by alfonso » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:49 pm

Tora wrote:I have got the "You've got to believe in something!?!" line a few times
I think the best answer to that is:
I believe I'll have lunch today.

In fairness, the answer has deeper meaning than some are able to see at first glance...
corkneedle

Famn Damily

Post by corkneedle » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:49 pm

I think most of my family kind-of-sort-of know I'm a godless wotsit or at least anti-clerical. I still go to mass on xmas (yes i know).

My friends definitely know, I've tried to deprogram them. To no avail I might add.

At college I'm sort of open about it. There is a Nigerian guy who is very into the jesus thing, but I don't want to cause an argument with him. Coz I'm a big nerdy wimp. But still in conlaw I can't help huffing and swearing under my breath every time we get to the "Christian people" shit.
eamonnm79

Post by eamonnm79 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:44 am

All my friends and family know I dont believe but I dont like to ram it down peoples throats. Some people feel the need to believe in religion as a comfort blanket. I do know quite a few people who dont believe but still clasify themselves as christians for the sake of their family. My mother told me my dad had no interest in religion for years until my comunion was coming up. he felt he should make more of an effort for my benifit. I would say lots of people go along to mass just to keep the status quo in the family going. Most christians faith can dwindle at times of crises or when smoething horible happens for no good reason. After joining this forum and reading the god delusion I am starting to think its important to be more vocal. later