Atheist Christening

General discussions
ger7dxm

Atheist Christening

Post by ger7dxm » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi,
My brother's wife is expecting twins this year. They are both atheists but they feel that because there is an Irish connection they really need to have a christening. You see they live in Boston and its the big Irish thing over there as you can imagine. Anyone Irish that doesn't have a christening is odd and not a patriot. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can point them?
"If it can't be measured, then it doesn't exist.."
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Atheist Christening

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:45 pm

Check any local humanist websites you can find over there. They commonly provide humanist equivalent ceremonies for most things.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:46 pm

Where do they want the Christening to take place? Here in Ireland? I assume that they are not looking for a Catholic Christening but a secular one?

The Humanist Association of Ireland perform secular ceremonies - contact details here

If they are plannning a ceremony in Boston, then we couldn't really advise you on anything beyond what a Google search can tell you.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:47 pm

tell that irish aren't having so many, so to be irish is to have choice.
test
Morgase

Post by Morgase » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Would it be possible to just have a bit of a party at their house? Once they've named the baby perhaps afterwards have a sambos/salads/meats type of thing at the house?

After all, for most Irish people it's more about the family get-together than the churchy bit.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:20 pm

ger7dxm wrote:Hi,
My brother's wife is expecting twins this year. They are both atheists but they feel that because there is an Irish connection they really need to have a christening. You see they live in Boston and its the big Irish thing over there as you can imagine. Anyone Irish that doesn't have a christening is odd and not a patriot. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can point them?
tell them to google the news with catholic church ireland and then come back to them
test
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:25 pm

Just don’t do it.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
tasha200

Post by tasha200 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:19 am

Ii would suggest a party.. a ceremony purely to make other people feel better about themselves is a firm no no for me.. I have three children and have had pressures from family friends etc. to have them christened.. I calmly point out the churches stance on me.... an unmarried mother with three bastards, living in sin, with original sin... and am happy to have no part in any type of ceremony which would be designed to make the people who are part of that feel better about themselves or have my children join a gang before thay can walk xxx
JH
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by JH » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:24 pm

tasha200 wrote:I calmly point out the churches stance on me.... an unmarried mother with three bastards, living in sin, with original sin...
Say a billion Hail Marys and I'd sure they'd let you join the party. :lol: