You believe in nothing

General discussions
tasha200

Re: You believe in nothing

Post by tasha200 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:03 pm

"The fastest swimming sperm of a huge gang of sperm".... that indeed is fabulous...!!
For years I have not really been bothered about the fact I was raised with no religion, but by the fact I didnt 'believe' in anything! Surely everyone should have beliefs no?? well that is the question I have asked myself in perhaps moments of despair, beareavement etc. or while sitting in a church wondering wtf were all these people thinking... sitting up standing down, holding hands singing being thankful being fed hope and hope and hope... and its only just recently dawned on me that I do not need any beliefs to actually have hope.... I dont need to go through any rituals to have hope for myself and my family.. not hope in death, hope for forgiveness etc. but hope for the moment and hope for life, the prevailence of life and to try to have the attitude of a winner.. the fastest swimming sperm I was, and I feckin won, how good is that!!!!!!!... :) yeehaaaaaa
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:10 am

Someone who tries to claim I believe nothing just because I don't believe in their favourite fictional character gets a very simple response from me. It goes something like this: "I'm sorry but you're wrong. I believe you are a fucking wanker. And that's something."

That's pretty much all the response they deserve. Ultimately someone whos says that is out to insult you for your beliefs of lack there of. It isn't a rational statement, in fact it's a generalisation and I very much doubt that there are many people in this world stupid enough to actually believe a person can believe in nothing.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:19 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:Someone who tries to claim I believe nothing just because I don't believe in their favourite fictional character gets a very simple response from me. It goes something like this: "I'm sorry but you're wrong. I believe you are a fucking wanker. And that's something."
lol, I love it! :mrgreen:
JH
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by JH » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:15 pm

Hemingway wrote:Two young gals approached me as I was at the back of the crowd watching the Sex Pistols on the main stage. They approached me in a very friendly manner and asked me how I felt about Jesus.
Hang on a sec. Sex Pistols, beer, and two Christian girls? You mean... you had the perfect opportunity to corrupt two Christians and you squandered it?

Shame.
Legion

Post by Legion » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:59 pm

The sort of people who say atheists believe in nothing are simply confusing atheism with nihilism
Nihilism is the belief in nothing,
"Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism which argues that life is without meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism

Atheism is simply not believing in magic fairies
"Atheism can be either the rejection of theism, or the assertion that deities do not exist. In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Its easy to see why there would be confusion, ism's are all the same really. :?
zaphod beeblebrox

Post by zaphod beeblebrox » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:17 pm

not that i care to discuss many life death issues with the religious, but on occasion I have found myself stating the "spirit" could live on in ones children. for example through much indoctrination, also your DNA can be responsible for the creation of another human being-your life lives on, however I always dispute the typical notion of the heaven we get to learn about as impressionable children. you rarely get to hear a normal adults discussing heaven these days especially at funerals which seems odd.
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:11 pm

zaphod beeblebrox wrote:You rarely get to hear a normal adults discussing heaven these days especially at funerals which seems odd.
Hi Zaphod - refreshing rather than odd, surely?
"Religious belief of all kinds shares the same intellectual respectability, evidential base, and rationality as belief in the existence of fairies." AC Grayling