Future of Atheism

General discussions
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Future of Atheism

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:41 pm

The USA was also set up as 'one nation under god'.
Now the Soviet Union however offered 'freedom of religious practice and freedom of anti-religious propaganda' if my memory serves me right.
dj357

Post by dj357 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:11 pm

Feardorcha wrote:The USA was also set up as 'one nation under god'.
Now the Soviet Union however offered 'freedom of religious practice and freedom of anti-religious propaganda' if my memory serves me right.
"One Nation Under God" was only added to the Pledge of Allegiance during the 1950's, and as such did not form part of the formation of the Constitution of the United States.
"In meinem Himmel gibt's keinen Gott!"
I'm An Atheist...
Midwest Humanists!! - http://midwesthumanists.wordpress.com
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:32 pm

Feardorcha wrote:Dev (the poster, not the other one):
'This was a country founded with secular values in mind'.

I don't think so, Dev. The 1916 Proclamation, the programme for the first Dail and the 1937 Constitution are all very definitely theist documents. And before Independence Protestantism was the dominant religion and was as authoritarian as anything the Catholic Church subsequently put in place. In fact, it could be argued that the post-independence Catholic Church merely replaced Protestantism in controlling all aspects of social life.
Apologies for the lack of clarity in my post but as Beebub commented I was referring to the U.S. I felt the inclusion of Jefferson (past US president) in the comment would imply the U.S but it should have been more explicit. I 100% agree with you about Ireland not being founded as a secular nation as an aside.
"One Nation Under God" was only added to the Pledge of Allegiance during the 1950's, and as such did not form part of the formation of the Constitution of the United States.
Agreed and the "in god we trust" quote on US currency wasn't till the 1800's. These attempts to infringe on America's secular values are a relatively recent phenomenon.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:26 pm

I got some numbers off the CSO website to check out the growth of atheism in Ireland. While you may have criticisms of the definition of atheism and that agnostics may just tick off their birth religion etc. It is probably a fair approximation or at least the best I can think of.

Observations I found interesting,

Atheism is the fastest growing minority.
Protestants in 1960 outnumbered atheists over 100 to 1. We now outnumber them by a fair margin.
Minorities religions have gone from being 1 in 20 to being 1 in 8.
Protestants and Jews took a significant drop in the 80's.

If the trends were to continue for the next four decades (2046). The Republic Ireland will be a place with 7 Million people and 1 in 4 will constitute a minority religion, throw in Northern Ireland and we are greater than the pre-famine numbers in Ireland with at least 10 Million on the island.

The growth of atheism in Ireland looks like a third world country with food!
anadub25

Post by anadub25 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:52 am

I am reminded of a class in behavioural analysis where we had to decondition mice to stop pressing a lever which had previously delivered a reward (food pellet). Right before giving up and abandoning the behaviour the mice would exhibit a resurgance of frenzied lever-pressing. I imagine there will be a generally rational collective but with resurgances here and there of fanatical religious movements.
Atheists are not such a minority. Dawkins quotes a US study showing that, after Christianity, 'no religion' was the largest group!
"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

- Sigmund Freud -
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:53 am

I imagine that the 'other' religion, which is also rapidly growing, is Islam.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:16 pm

And the islam is pushing people towards christainity again (well in the Netherlands). :(
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:07 pm

Feardorcha wrote:I imagine that the 'other' religion, which is also rapidly growing, is Islam.
I myself would have agreed with you that Islamic religions would have occupied most of the other category. Since Islamic immigration in to Europe is huge, particularly in France and England. I looked in to it and it turns out of the 130,000 other religions, 32,000 are muslims. The other category is actually quite a mixed bag and outside of Muslims the rest of the religions are a handful of thousand of Hindus, Lutherans, Jehovah's Witnesses, Evangelicals, Orthodox, Lapsed Catholics, Quakers etc.

Since other is a blank space rather than a box, 2,500 people filled in atheist, agnostic or pantheist. Weird, you think they would have just ticked no religion. I guess we can throw them in on top of the no religion set.

http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/PDR% ... 031-40.pdf
anadub25 wrote: Atheists are not such a minority. Dawkins quotes a US study showing that, after Christianity, 'no religion' was the largest group!
True, but as a minority we have no voice, religions have their priests and bishops and spokes people. I'll concede Michael Nugent speaks on behalf of Atheist Ireland but really it is a small organization. Not only that but I think after Dawkins said that he said atheists tend to be too independent minded to coagulate. It would be like herding cats, hence where CatHerder probably gets his name.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:33 pm

Never heard of Quackers before, just googled them and they sounds like a sect (correct spelling?). Is that a large group in Ireland>
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
eannamul
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eannamul » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:34 pm

Quakers!! Not quackers!!

Although "Central to the Quakers' belief is the doctrine of the “Inner Light,” or sense of Christ's direct working in the soul". So maybe they are a bit quackers.

Honestly don't know the first thing about them though - took the above from my laptop dictionary.

Do know that one can be found in the top left corner of every box of sugar puffs though.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/suga ... ter_fr.jpg