Count Me Out.ie

General discussions
baroness

Re: Count Me Out.ie

Post by baroness » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:19 pm

I decided not to make my confirmation when I was younger, so I cant get married, buried ect anyway,
but do they use this as a record of membership of the RCC or am I counted as a catholic as I was baptised?

I've never really thought about it before, but I would hate to be counted as a catholic in anyones records.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Your lack of confirmation won't prevent you from getting married - they are quite happy to marry non-Catholics in the Church so long as you agree to having your children raised as Catholic. I doubt it would even prevent your being buried by the Church either should you want it, depending on the particular parish priest's tolerance for such things - some would, some wouldn't. Your baptism does make you a Catholic technically, although it is of little importance other than to yourself if you are not supporting them financially. Confirmation is ironically less important than baptism, even though it is made at an age where you are more competent to consent to the process.

So to sum up: if you are baptised - yes you are counted as a Catholic until you remove yourself from their register. But de-registering isn't essential unless you feel strongly about it; it's your money that gives them power, not your name on a baptismal page somewhere.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
baroness

Post by baroness » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks, I'll get right on it so.

I'd always assumed that I'd already opted out by refusing to make my confirmation and would not be considered by the church a catholic.

Its not so much I feel strongly about it, either way I'm not now nor was I ever catholic, but I do feel that discrimination against non-catholics in this country is unacceptable, hopefully if enough people will defect and make it known they do not support the current systems in place in this country, i.e. education, blasphemy laws, it will make a difference.

Maybe thats being too optimistic!
Rational_thinker

Post by Rational_thinker » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Can anyone tell me how long it has taken to get a reply on this? I sent my witnessed forms off to the church I was baoptised in, in Dorking, England - about a month ago. Wondering how long I wait before resending... The thing appears a bit pointless if they don't acknowledge receipt - and confirm action taken.

Right?

Cheers,

Jim
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence Carl Sagan
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs Unknown
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:07 pm

Rational_thinker wrote:Can anyone tell me how long it has taken to get a reply on this? I sent my witnessed forms off to the church I was baoptised in, in Dorking, England - about a month ago. Wondering how long I wait before resending... The thing appears a bit pointless if they don't acknowledge receipt - and confirm action taken.

Right?

Cheers,

Jim
You should send the form to the diocese rather than the actual parish in which you were baptised. Perhaps they've sent them on for you or perhaps they've just been filed in the waste paper bin!
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
gmcfoley
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by gmcfoley » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:17 pm

I sent mine via registered post so I would know when it was received.
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:31 pm

Rational_thinker wrote:Can anyone tell me how long it has taken to get a reply on this? I sent my witnessed forms off to the church I was baoptised in, in Dorking, England - about a month ago. Wondering how long I wait before resending... The thing appears a bit pointless if they don't acknowledge receipt - and confirm action taken.

Right?

Cheers,

Jim
I sent mine at the start of the year and didn't get a reply till the middle of March. I had to confirm my choice and send it away again. Still waiting.
Although I just think it's the incompetence of my local parish/diocese.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:54 pm

Never much like Ingle, but this article is at least relevant to this thread from Todays Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/mag ... 36840.html
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:47 pm

I sent mine at the start of the year and didn't get a reply till the middle of March. I had to confirm my choice and send it away again. Still waiting.
is this really necessary?
test
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:00 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:Never much like Ingle, but this article is at least relevant to this thread from Todays Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/mag ... 36840.html
Very intresting piece:
RÓISÍN INGLE -IrishTimes.com wrote:I will be astonished if this does not happen. Imagine if the Catholic Church was a business, which in some ways it is. Imagine it was a secular organisation which had been proven to have sanctioned at the highest level the cover up of the abuse of children. I don’t think people would continue to brand their babies with that business logo from birth unless:

1) The organisation did a root and branch clear out of everyone who had been involved in the cover-up

2) Those at the top said sorry like they actually meant it

3) The chief executive stopped trying to protect the power structure of the institution and instead took full responsibility for his part in the systematic abuse of children.

Even if such a corporation did all those things, there would be a residue of mistrust that would last generations. We would be wary. Suspicious. At the very least, reluctant to get involved. I know there are massive cultural and community ties that bind this country to the Catholic Church, but this mad dash to join our children up to a deeply flawed institution is something I believe is going to change.
People so often accepts the CCL on their word where a company has laws to abide by, The CCL acts above state law and the state allows it.