Count Me Out.ie

General discussions
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Count Me Out.ie

Post by CatHerder » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:19 pm

Beebub wrote:I then received a letter from the Dublin Archdiocese as mentioned above. The exact same letter to another defectee is on the countmeout.ie website. The signator was even the same so he simply changed the addressee on the letter when writing to me.
If people start agreeing to meet him he'll probably stop sending that letter :lol:
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:25 pm

well they did say they'd put a defections completed counter too, and they have received scans of confirmed defections they'll put up later in the week they said
test
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:54 pm

Very good. I'd be interested to see that. Mind you, they are then relying on those who have received confirmation of their defection to send a copy to them. I've been updating them with my progress forwarding the e-mail replies I got. As soon as I receive confirmation I'll send them a copy.
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:48 pm

Beebub wrote:
The number of defections has been climbing constantly. It's now gone over sixteen hundred.
Yes except, where is this figure coming from? Is it the site's tally? Is so, then it can't be anywhere near that high. For example, I checked it out having read the article in the Sunday Times on my home laptop. I filled in my details and clicked to see my populated letter and the declaration. Would that have been counted as one defection? Because I have no printer at home and so did nothing about it until I got to work. I then repeated the process and printed it off. How many of the 1,600 are duplicates like mine?
I'm sure there is difference between the number signing up and the number of people who actually complete the process and log back on to confirm it. Either way the numbers have been steadily increasing. The air of depression in the Bishops palace must be like the fog on the Wicklow hills.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:53 pm

If their tweets are anything to go by, they say quite explicitly that they have had x number of downloads, so that says nothing about actual complete defections or indeed, duplicate downloads.

You can have a look at their Twitter feed here: http://twitter.com/countmeoutie/
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:09 pm

In fariness it is an indication of the interest in the subject and it does take some effort to go through the process (not huge being honest), but it would be disingenuous of them to suggest the total number of dowloads equates to a corresponding number of defections. I had a look at the Twitter site and it does just say 'We passed 1500 downloads this morning!'. Do they suggest elsewhere that 1 download = 1 defection?
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:10 pm

here a interview with nearfm

http://ow.ly/hUqI
a little condescending
test
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:47 pm

They have never claimed that 1 download = 1 defection. As Beebub suggests, it indicates the interest shown in the idea of debaptism, which is no small thing.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:15 pm

So far 1642 people have completed a 'Declaration
of Defection' and 60 messages have been sent."
I mistakenly thought the 60 messages were replies from the Bish but it refers to messages of complaint sent to the Palace of the Assisant to the Assisant of Gods first minister on Earth (to give him his proper title)
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
countmeout (Paul)

Post by countmeout (Paul) » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi guys, Paul here from the Count Me Out website/campaign whatever you want to call us. Just wanted to clear a few things up:

Firstly: the count we run is ONLY for downloads. We have no way of knowing if someone actually sent the letter off. Furthermore, if someone printed the form off twice or did something in error, then we have no way of catching this either. So, the 1,600 is likely to be slightly less than this in reality. However, there is no way for us to get around this.

Second: the people who are getting responses asking to meet Bishop's Sec, this appears to be the norm for Dublin. We have been told that the meeting is nothing more than a chat and there is no attempt to change people's minds. And we hear the palace is quite something as well! If you feel you don't want to meet with them, then they cannot force you but they need to see in writing that you want to turn it down. I think this is fair enough from a record-keeping point of view.

Third: the request for a meeting may indeed put people off. The best way of knowing the amount of people that ultimately complete the process is to use church stats. And, for anyone that read the Examiner last week you will know that they keep NO STATS on the numbers defecting! Perhaps with all the attention we have got, and with the help of some nosy journos, we could get them to release those figures in future.

We have been amazed with the response to the site and heartened by the positive feedback. I would estimate that 95% of the emails we have received were from people who were very happy about the site. For all of you on here who have sent their forms, we would love to hear back from you about the process. We especially would like a scan of the letters you get from the church for our responses page (we will blank out personal details).

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.