Count Me Out.ie

General discussions
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Count Me Out.ie

Post by Dev » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:57 am

FXR wrote:Before the Dublin report the number of people who had downloaded the forms on countmeout.ie was struggling to pass 1800.......now it's jumped to 4187! A simple practical idea put into action quickly and look what happens.
Soon enough it will be 4187+1, I hope to be making my defection soon. I've decided it is what I want. Will post back here sometime in the next 60 days.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:17 am

seems the biggest problem people have in doubting the defection process is they don't think the church exists...
test
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:58 am

Dev wrote:Soon enough it will be 4187+1, I hope to be making my defection soon. I've decided it is what I want. Will post back here sometime in the next 60 days.
Congrats Dev. I know it's not a decision you have come to lightly. You won't regret it and will certainly be happier in yourself having done it. More power to you.
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:14 am

Dev wrote:
FXR wrote:Before the Dublin report the number of people who had downloaded the forms on countmeout.ie was struggling to pass 1800.......now it's jumped to 4187! A simple practical idea put into action quickly and look what happens.
Soon enough it will be 4187+1, I hope to be making my defection soon. I've decided it is what I want. Will post back here sometime in the next 60 days.
I keep meaning to get around to it. Fuck it I think I'll join you this week. It will be my Chrrr...Winter Solstice present to myself.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:33 am

test
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:20 pm

Batt O’Keeffe states in his letter:_
“Existing legislation acknowledges the rights of the Individual with regard to values and beliefs and makes provision for the wise range that exists in Irish Society. Under Section 30 of the Education Act 1998 no student can be required to attend instruction in any subject which is contrary to the conscience of their parents”

Someone should tell Batt the even the Catholic Church do not agree with him anymore as the now former Bishop of Limerick Donal Murray stated in May this year:-

“THOSE WHO DO NOT SHARE THE ETHOS
The statement made by the Irish bishops in 2007 recognised that when, in the absence of a local alternative, parents have no choice but to send their children to a Catholic school, this can cause difficulties for them and indeed for the school. The difficulty is twofold. One aspect concerns the right of pupils to be withdrawn from classes of Religious Instruction or Catechesis. This right is recognised in the Constitution in the context of the provision of State aid to schools:
Legislation providing State aid for schools shall not discriminate between schools under the management of different religious denominations, nor be such as to affect prejudicially the right of any child to attend a school receiving public money without attending religious instruction at that school. xix[19].
The increasing number of pupils whose parents do not wish them to receive religious instruction that is designed for Catholic children can make the logistics of this difficult, but since the right is recognised in the Constitution, one would hope that the Government might make possible the conditions to enable it to be recognised in practice. This might require additional space, additional supervision, or the employment of part‐time teachers to provide instruction in the faith or values system of the families concerned.
In one sense this question of withdrawal from formal religious formation is the easier dimension of the problem. If the family find the Catholic ethos of the school unacceptable, however, there does not seem to be any obvious solution. If it is the expression of Catholic faith within the life of the school that is unacceptable to them, and if withdrawal from religious instruction is not enough, then it seems that one would have to acknowledge that this kind of school is simply not suitable for that family. “

You will find the above comments on page 11:

http://www.kandle.ie/wp-content/uploads ... murray.pdf
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:15 pm

I downloaded the defection form and signed it, just getting round to posting it. I was thinking for ages "why bother?", but I realised it would actually make a difference. Every journey, big or small, begins with the first step.
I'll keep you updated on how it's going.

EDIT: bad grammar
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:39 pm

countmeout say they've been told that processing of defection requests has changed

http://www.countmeout.ie/update.php
Due in part to the number of requests generated by this website, the Catholic Church in Ireland has recently clarified its protocol for handling defections. Rather than sending the documentation to your diocese of baptism, it is now recommended that you contact the diocese in which you are currently resident.
im really suspicious of this, i don't treat the the church as playing it straight, although countmeout take slightly different tack, not having a go at them, this is a change for any person who decides to defect with or without the website, so now you are contacting staff who may not be in the same diocese (or same org) as the data you want to alter..., they made such big deal about the dioceses being separate, i suspect its do to with trying to arrange meetings to warn you of consequences, to deter you, rather then to make the process easier and quicker. if the process is worth anything its about changing your baptism info which is under the control of the birth diocese.

it doesn't make sense, if it be could be explained by the church....
test
Rev j.jones

Post by Rev j.jones » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:02 pm

I went to the local priest today he wouldn't take the form off me He told me I had to bring it to the Cathederal. I did and I am waiting for the response. Only one kind of response will be accepted.

I found it a bit stange the way the priest acted when I presented my defection statement, he was going to take it off me first but then when I gave it to him I showed him that I had included with the form maybe 30 reasons why theisims are wrong immediately he gave it back to me and told me to go to the bishop it was like he was afraid of reading my reasons.
"The Meek a'int gonna inherit shit"
"I've got a hell of a lot of weapons to fight! I got my claws, I got cutlasses, I got guns, I got dynamite, I got a hell of a lot of fight! I will fight!" Rev Jones cured religion for 950 americans.
tony

Post by tony » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:57 pm

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 26591.html
The Irish Times - Saturday, January 23, 2010
6,007 people complete website form to defect from Catholic Church
PATSY MCGARRY

CHURCH DEFECTIONS: A TOTAL of 6,007 people have completed a ‘‘declaration of defection’’ from the Catholic Church in Ireland according to the website http://www.countmeout.ie

It was set up last July, following publication of the Ryan report on May 20th, and within a month over 2,000 people had completed such declarations of defection.

The website provides a three-step online process that makes it easier for disaffected Catholics to leave the church.

Paul Dunbar, who founded the website with Cormac Flynn and Grainne O’Sullivan, said that on publication of the Murphy report “almost to the hour” there was “a huge surge of interest” on the part of people e-mailing the site seeking information on how they could leave the Catholic Church.

On the afternoon of November 26th last, when the Murphy report was published, there had been “a tenfold increase in traffic”, he said.

On average, 10 – 20 people download the declaration to defect every day, he said, but that this increased with further clerical child sex abuse allegations.

He said they had set up the website because they had found it very difficult to get information when they wished to defect.

The website also highlights the consequences of defecting. It points out that formally leaving the Catholic Church excludes you from Catholic ceremonies, but not from attending such ceremonies.

It could affect your child’s chances of attending the local Catholic-run school, if he or she has not been baptised. Catholic schools have the right to refuse the enrolment of children who are not Catholics.

The efficiency with which the various dioceses handled the decisions by people to leave, varied, with the Dublin archdiocese one of the best. This he attributed to the work of Fr Fintan Gavin in Dublin.