Count Me Out.ie

General discussions
Gadfly

Re: Count Me Out.ie

Post by Gadfly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:07 pm

JD12 wrote:Hi guys,

Who did you get to sign your defection form as a witness?

My parents and my wife don't want to sign it! Thinking of going to the local priest?

thanks,
John
I got my son to sign mine. But I don't think it matters. Well done in any case.
"I do not believe in any religion. I will have nothing to do with immortality. We are miserable enough in this life without speculating upon another." Lord Byron.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:55 pm

My parents and my wife don't want to sign it! Thinking of going to the local priest?

thanks,
John
your wife won't even witness the document?
Last edited by lostexpectation on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
test
Regens Küchl

Post by Regens Küchl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:23 am

catholicanswers discusses Semel catholicus semper catholicus :lol: (Once a Catholic, Always a Catholic)
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=106041
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:41 pm

Regens Küchl wrote:catholicanswers discusses Semel catholicus semper catholicus (Once a Catholic, Always a Catholic)
Regens,

I'm beginning to have doubts about your real intentions here. That's the second time in this thread alone that you have brought up the issue of always being a Catholic regardless of what you do. Earlier you said:
Regens Küchl wrote:Sorry, but in the Vaticans eyes (and in mine too) you are still a Christian
I repeat my repsonse to you:

Whether or not they still believe you are a Christian, once you have defected, they can no longer count you as a member of the Catholic Church.

What does it matter that one sect of believers thinks there is a permanent mark on my soul whether or not I defect. How can I have a permanent mark on something which doesn't exist and more importantly why should I care?

The Catholic Church can no longer officially count me as a member of their religion. That's all that matters.

Also, could you clarify what you meant by '(and in mine too)'? Are you suggesting you think I've wasted my time? Are subtly hinting that in fact you're a believer and you're just stirring things up on a Atheist website?
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:28 am

Regens Küchl wrote:catholicanswers discusses Semel catholicus semper catholicus :lol: (Once a Catholic, Always a Catholic)
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=106041
listen, its Catholic and being a member of the Irish Roman Catholic Church.

its the church organisation that one defects from.
test
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:18 am

Can we make this a sticky? Should always be at the top.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
Regens Küchl

Post by Regens Küchl » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:12 pm

Beebub wrote:
Regens Küchl wrote:catholicanswers discusses Semel catholicus semper catholicus (Once a Catholic, Always a Catholic)
Regens,

I'm beginning to have doubts about your real intentions here. That's the second time in this thread alone that you have brought up the issue of always being a Catholic regardless of what you do. Earlier you said:
Regens Küchl wrote:Sorry, but in the Vaticans eyes (and in mine too) you are still a Christian
I repeat my repsonse to you:

Whether or not they still believe you are a Christian, once you have defected, they can no longer count you as a member of the Catholic Church.

What does it matter that one sect of believers thinks there is a permanent mark on my soul whether or not I defect. How can I have a permanent mark on something which doesn't exist and more importantly why should I care?

The Catholic Church can no longer officially count me as a member of their religion. That's all that matters.

Also, could you clarify what you meant by '(and in mine too)'? Are you suggesting you think I've wasted my time? Are subtly hinting that in fact you're a believer and you're just stirring things up on a Atheist website?
These are legitimate questions, and you deserve a serious answer of course :idea:

Please give me a few days to give them to you, for I have to be in the right mood to present them to you :twisted:

Would that be acceptable :?:
Rogan
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Rogan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:40 am

Who cares what the Vatican believes? I know on a personal level I felt great about defecting from the CC knowing that I'm one less person they can count as being Catholic. Also, I know myself that I'm not a Catholic and that's what's most important.
JD12

Post by JD12 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:05 pm

lostexpectation wrote:

thanks,
John
your wife won't even witness the document?

Yep! Neither will my parents. Which I am fine with by the way - if it doesn't sit well with them, I'm not forcing it.

However I got a copy of my baptism cert from my Mam at the weekend - she has no problem with me defecting, just doesn't want to be involved in the process.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:19 am

JD12 wrote:However I got a copy of my baptism cert from my Mam at the weekend
For what purpose? From experience, the notation of your defection has to be done at the other end. It's no use getting them to ammend the copy of your baptismal cert. They have to do it at the register of the parish where you were baptised. It took my parish considerably longer than others to process the defection because I was baptised at the age of 5. I told them this, but they had been looking in the church records from the year I was born and couldn't find it. The notation on your baptismal cert (which I may get framed!) is simply notifying you that it has been officially done at their end.