Re: Count Me Out.ie

Post by Beebub » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:26 pm

Congratulations!
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:56 pm

Reilly616 wrote:Well, after sending that last letter, I received a reply just 6 working days later. (And just 4 working days before the statutory deadline!) I have now completed my defection. :D
Congrats!!
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Reilly616

Post by Reilly616 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:04 am

Beebub wrote:Congratulations!
Tulip1 wrote: Congrats!!
Thanks guys! :)
Gadfly

Post by Gadfly » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:36 am

Well done!
"I do not believe in any religion. I will have nothing to do with immortality. We are miserable enough in this life without speculating upon another." Lord Byron.
haddockman

Post by haddockman » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:34 pm

I received the following response to my defection notice:
Now I has no desire to go contacting the parish priest. Can I force them to do it?
Any help would be appreciated.

Would I be better off sending a request direct to Ferns as that is where I was baptised? The countmeout website says you have to go via the bishop where you live and not where you were baptised.
Reilly616

Post by Reilly616 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:55 pm

haddockman wrote:I received the following response to my defection notice:
Now I has no desire to go contacting the parish priest. Can I force them to do it?

Would I be better off sending a request direct to Ferns as that is where I was baptised? The countmeout website says you have to go via the bishop where you live and not where you were baptised.
You can absolutely force them to do it without going to the priest. You are under no obligation to them. They hold data on you, so they are under the statutory obligation to keep it up to date. They have 40 days to do so after receiving your letter. I'd direct you to my letter, posted on the previous page. Sending them something along those lines should speed them up.

Remember; they must obey the Data Protection laws of this sovereign democratic state. Thankfully, the laws of a tiny dictatorial city state in Rome do not have jurisdiction here.
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:03 am

Nice one Reilly616 :) Could you get the Guards involved since it's a breech of Data Protection Laws?? I wouldn't go through a priest but a solicitor. Show the gootheens who's boss! :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
Reilly616

Post by Reilly616 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:23 am

dugges wrote:Nice one Reilly616 :) Could you get the Guards involved since it's a breech of Data Protection Laws?? I wouldn't go through a priest but a solicitor. Show the gootheens who's boss! :)
Not exactly. The process if they refuse and you're not happy with their reasons is to write about it to the Data Protection Commissioner, including copies of all letters. He will then investigate the matter and, if you are in the right, he will use his powers to compel the organisation to ammend the data as is appropriate. If you are not happy with his findings, you may take the case to the Circuit Court.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:36 am

haddockman wrote:I received the following response to my defection notice:

In fairness, I don't think it's as sinister as you might think. As far as I can tell, it's standard practice for them to request a meeting with you. I simply refused, in writing and they eventually sorted it out. They had to get my baptismal register from the parish where I was baptised.
haddockman

Post by haddockman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:13 pm

To me it clearly implies that I must go to the parish priest where I was baptised. The only reason I can see is that the replying bishop is not the bishop for that particular parish. Also I can't see the bishop of Ossory directing a priest in Ferns to alter a baptismal register. For some bizarre reason countmeout tell you to send it to the diocese of residence rather than the diocese of baptism.

I have sent a fresh request direct to Ferns and I shall the bishop there deal with it.