Count Me Out.ie

General discussions
Anastasia

Re: Count Me Out.ie

Post by Anastasia » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Hello everyone,
Could someone please help me to find out what happened to CountMeOut.ie website?
I'm a journalist from Russia writing on apostasy for an Internet magazine, so I would like to include this site in my overview, but cannot access it in any way whatsoever. It just doesn't answer. Perhaps some of you might know their founder or authors or admins and contact them to ask what happened and whether I may expect them to fix it up soon or just better forget it? By the way, does it work with you over there in Ireland?
Thank you very much for your help.
Regards,
Anastasia
haddockman

Post by haddockman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:08 pm

http://www.countmeout.ie/ is working fine for me.

You can email them at contact@countmeout.ie
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:15 pm

haddockman wrote:http://www.countmeout.ie/ is working fine for me.

You can email them at contact@countmeout.ie
thanks a lot!
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:35 pm

haddockman wrote:To me it clearly implies that I must go to the parish priest where I was baptised. The only reason I can see is that the replying bishop is not the bishop for that particular parish. Also I can't see the bishop of Ossory directing a priest in Ferns to alter a baptismal register. For some bizarre reason countmeout tell you to send it to the diocese of residence rather than the diocese of baptism.

thats what the bishops told them to do and they accepted it without question
test
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:44 pm

haddockman wrote: For some bizarre reason countmeout tell you to send it to the diocese of residence rather than the diocese of baptism.
According to countmeout.ie the church changed how they deal with defection requests and started asking people to go to the diocese of residence. Either they've done it again or this is a rogue diocese, mad on a cocktail of bureaucracy and printer-ink.
haddockman

Post by haddockman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:50 pm

I sent a fresh request to Wexford still awaiting a response.
Ether
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ether » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:19 pm

I bet i get hammered for this but i dont see the purpose in countmeout. I was baptised and had my communion (for the cash of course) but i don’t feel I can be officially part of anything that is contingent upon my belief in it and a certain state of mind ie faith. Religion is a an enormous machine built on a house of cards which in turn is floating on air and theology is the science of nothing. So (in my head – saying this to avoid the aforementioned hammering)I cant be part of something(in a real measurable way) that has no basis in my reality and as I do not accept god(s) there is nothing to compel/force me to stay. I see no reason to officially return my membership card to the local priest as that in itself gives them some creditably. as if it was real to start. When i stopped believing in santa i didn’t log on to the work shop elves website to cancel my subscription :?
Forgot to draw Mohammed again.......
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:00 pm

I am not sure what the future is of the defection process.
This notice is posted over on Count Me Out - it might go some way to explain why some people are not getting a reply.
http://www.countmeout.ie/suspension/
Suspension of the Defection Process

In April of this year, the Catholic Church modified the Code of Canon Law to remove all references to the act of formal defection, the process used by those who wish to formally renounce their membership of the Church.

Since then, the Catholic Church in Ireland has been reflecting on the implications of this change for those who wish to leave the Catholic Church. Despite our requests for clarification, the Church have yet to reach a firm position on how or whether they will continue to accept requests for the annotation of the baptismal register.

In recent weeks we have been contacted by an increasing number of people whose defections have not been processed, due to the limbo created by this canon law amendment.

Because of this uncertainty, we have taken the decision to suspend the creation of declarations of defection via CountMeOut.ie.
PDF of the Omnium in Mentem document
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi Ether,

I understand what you are saying and according to the RCC even if you make an act of formal defection it doesn't erase your baptism anyway (something to do with an indelible mark on your soul made by the holy spook or some such hogwash) but I made an act of formal defection as a visible protest against the RCC that they don't act or speak in my name even though I was recruited to their club as an infant.
The receipt of these forms at the bishops palace may or may not make any difference but it made me feel better so for that reason alone I'm glad I did it. :)
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Ether wrote:I bet i get hammered for this but i dont see the purpose in countmeout.

I see no reason to officially return my membership card to the local priest as that in itself gives them some creditably. as if it was real to start. When i stopped believing in santa i didn’t log on to the work shop elves website to cancel my subscription :?
I know what you are saying and hopefully I can give you an impression of why I think it is the wrong approach to the thinking.

Your subscription to Santa is not USED by anyone so there is indeed no reason to return it. This however is not so of your subscription to the church.

When our elected officials are deciding policy, representatives from different groups stand before them. The FIRST THING every politician asks himself before anything else is ever mentioned is “how many voters is this representative here in the name of."

When an Irish Bishop petitions a politician and that Bishops church has you on their books, then you ARE one of that number of voters the Bishop can claim to represent. He is petitioning that politician in YOUR name and you are complicit in this by your inaction to remove yourself.

There are people going before our government every day claiming to speak on YOUR behalf… and you can see no reason to “cancel your subscription”?