Do you miss Sunday services?

General discussions
BillyCan

Re: Do you miss Sunday services?

Post by BillyCan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Have a look at Camp Quest, I believe they are running in the UK now too... http://www.camp-quest.org/

On the subject of the wine, see http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=10878

While I didn't hear it myself, I heard there was quite a funny radio show several years back where the same Father Darcy was interviewed trying to explain how transubstantiation works, I could be wrong though.
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:37 pm

munsterdevil wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:
Feardorcha wrote:I'm another vote against Sunday Morning Atheism.
And what's wrong with pubs as meeting places? They serve alcohol which is a great social lubricant - I myself am funnier and make more sense when I drink. Why do religions/gods hate alcohol... and pigs and sex and women?
In fairness most churches serve alcohol too. It's just that they make you share a glass.
And the RCC will tell you that it is technically.............blood!
Holy crap, maybe the Vatican are trying to turn their flock into vampires!!!
It turns out that Jesus Shed His beaujolais nouveau for mankind! If you drink a too much you're over the drink drive limit.
http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.com/20 ... -fine.html
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:18 pm

Feardocha Said:
Can you get drunk on transubstantiated wine?
Trust me Feardocha, as an ex-altar boy, you can definitely get drunk on un-transubstantiated wine!!! :roll:
Not too sure of the magical qualities of transubstantiated wine though :shock:
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
Stublore

Post by Stublore » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 am

Lol, do I miss Sunday services?
Hell no ;)
Why would I want to be bored out of my mind listening to some geezer pontificating about how we are all sinners and should give him and his buddies some of my cash, sitting on some of the most uncomfortable "furniture" ever made?
No thanks, I'll take the lie in, and enjoy the day doing stuff I enjoy instead.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:17 pm

My overwhelming memories of my time in Church, even back in my Serious Believer days, are of boredom and frustration. For a brief time during my university days I attended a Church that had a more engaging and intelligent priest than I was used to enduring in my home parish, but it was a short-lived episode. I certainly haven't felt any Church-shaped vacuum in my life since I left.

Bipedalhumanoid's list is quite useful (and entertaining) at identifying why, or at least why I don't miss it. I don't need a social circle (call me antisocial), rituals & masochism are things that instinctively make me squirm.

In short: I don't miss it, and I don't want something to replace it.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:44 am

Rigsby wrote:
BillyCan wrote:What on earth, an atheist's church, an atheist's creed ?!?! I can't believe I'm reading this rubbish :shock: Atheism is simply a lack of belief in a god or gods is it not, and, insofar as I'm concerned, that's it, end of. Anything else is superfluous
So nobody here is interested. Fair enough.

But I for one certainly wont be attending any of your juvenile pub gatherings.
are you a puritan? or have you got a problem with young people?

you could always go to talk in cork viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2710
Last edited by lostexpectation on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
test
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:02 am

Rigsby wrote:One of the downsides of being an atheist, I find, is not having a weekly meeting where I can go and get my values reaffirmed. A place where atheists and like-minded people gather and validate each others core values and those beliefs they hold in common.
Why do you think that you would get affirmation or validation from meeting with other atheists?
I would be interested in hearing what values or beliefs you need reaffirmed.
Surely the fact that you hold something to be a value ought to be enough for you?
Surely a belief is something you should verify by research, not validate by other people's consensus?
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
EvilFish
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by EvilFish » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:16 am

My own memories of Sunday service are of boredom, and then by annoyance and anger in my teens as I actually began to listen to the sermons and realised just how much I disagreed with. So no, I don't miss them at all.

As for the idea of a similar kind of regular gathering for Atheists, well I'd have to ask you why you need your beliefs reaffirmed? Are you doubting yourself?

I don't see how one can practice Atheism in the same way as one practices a religion. In fact, Atheism doesn't really affect my day-to-day life at all. I don't think about it, and I certainly don't need my views that have arisen out of Atheism confirmed. Science does that well enough.
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:56 am

I do not miss going to Mass. I always hated it even when I was a Roman Catholic. The only thing I like in Churches are the Pipe Organs. I am an organist myself, but I would never be a Church Organist being kicked around like a piece of shit. My Organ Teacher was the Organist at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Melbourne Australia. He was Italian and a World class concert organist. He got paid a pittance and got treated like shit.

I would take a very fine historic organ to get me into a church again, but not for a service - just to see it and hopefully play it. Oh, that is another thing. Roman Catholic Churches hardly ever let anyone other that the appointed organist play their organs.
em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"