Do some people need religion?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 19
brianmmulligan

Post by brianmmulligan » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:05 am

Listen guys, I'm going to quit for the night. My two fingers are sore and my cover has been blown. I have to be up for mass in the morning. I know I'm leaving a few questions unanswered, but I'll try to get to them over the weekend (between prayers). They are hard ones and I'm going to have to look up the catechism.

By the way, if you want to insult me pick my obvious failings. I'm afraid that I get really bored in a conversation where people spend most of the time agreeing with each other. It is a habit that I picked up as a teenager. If I'm in a group, whatever the viewpoint going round is, it is great fun to disagree with it. Sorry if I wound some people up.

Sleep tight and don't lose your sense of humour.

Fr. Brian OFM
Brian
Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:07 am

brianmmulligan wrote:Listen guys, I'm going to quit for the night. My two fingers are sore and my cover has been blown. I have to be up for mass in the morning. I know I'm leaving a few questions unanswered, but I'll try to get to them over the weekend (between prayers). They are hard ones and I'm going to have to look up the catechism.

By the way, if you want to insult me pick my obvious failings. I'm afraid that I get really bored in a conversation where people spend most of the time agreeing with each other. It is a habit that I picked up as a teenager. If I'm in a group, whatever the viewpoint going round is, it is great fun to disagree with it. Sorry if I wound some people up.

Fr. Brian OFM
GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK!

And remember, Jesus love you, but I think you're a cunt!
FXR

Re: Be fi fo fum....

Post by FXR » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:14 am

brianmmulligan wrote:Yes, I was getting frustrated. Apologies for the invective (that's cursing isn't it). Now my command of language is letting me down as I'm finding it difficult to understand much of what you wrote above.

"Attempting to find cover by assuming an imaginary inclusion in a non existent group is a mark of religious thinking." I really don't know what is referred to here - genuinely.

Let me put it another way: use of the Royal "we" as opposed to the individual "I"

(standing on one's own two feet as opposed to being a sheep)

Your point about tenses is true, but the reason I mixed up my tenses is that I was interested in the answer both in the past and in the present. That's why I suggested you take your pick. Now I have heard the term "zeitgeist" in from literary people before, but I have never got around to looking it up. I usually nod and then take a sip of my wine.

Eh ... re zeitgeist...it's a German word which means spirit of the times. Which leads me to the conclusion you have not read the God Delusion by Prof. Richard Dawkins. So...what are you doin' on this website?

Thanks for the answer (NO), but of course you do realise that the question was there to provoke suggestions as to how athiesm could cope with the problem of immoral behaviour.

OH no! not the old wimpy "I was just trying to provoke" card again! You've tried that on other threads before this one. Don't you actually know what your'e opinon is about anything?

Now, as for the blanket. Again, I'm not sure what you are referring to. Was it that it suited me that you had not answered the question?

I was referring to your use of invective as a demonstration of your underlying frustration uncovered.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR

uncovered

Post by FXR » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:27 am

brianmmulligan wrote:Listen guys, I'm going to quit for the night. My two fingers are sore and my cover has been blown. I have to be up for mass in the morning. I know I'm leaving a few questions unanswered, but I'll try to get to them over the weekend (between prayers). They are hard ones and I'm going to have to look up the catechism.

Fr. Brian OFM
I'm sure it's more than your'e two fingers will be sore. I notice you know all the good cathlick terms there.

As for people agreeing with each other: who exactly was agreeing with you?

You did'nt wind anyone up, you got wound down. No doubt tonight "Fr" whoever will look after you and recharge your batteries (or worse)

SEE YOU NEXT TIME ON

"PRIESTS UNCOVERED"*

*priests uncovered is a trademark of athiest.ie and can not be copied or used for commercial purposes. Any priest who is uncovered and wishes to use the term can only do so by paying a fee to aethist.ie. Any fee paid may not be as a result of tax evasion.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:19 pm

brianmmulligan wrote:I'm afraid that I get really bored in a conversation where people spend most of the time agreeing with each other. It is a habit that I picked up as a teenager. If I'm in a group, whatever the viewpoint going round is, it is great fun to disagree with it.
There is a mate of mine does the same thing. I think he likes to see if people can articulate their points of view, maybe even confirm his.
Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:33 pm

CatHerder wrote:
brianmmulligan wrote:I'm afraid that I get really bored in a conversation where people spend most of the time agreeing with each other. It is a habit that I picked up as a teenager. If I'm in a group, whatever the viewpoint going round is, it is great fun to disagree with it.
There is a mate of mine does the same thing. I think he likes to see if people can articulate their points of view, maybe even confirm his.
Hi Cat! No, I think Brian is an Agent Provocateur in that he really does like to wind people up just for the sake of it, which is not quite the same thing as engaging in debate. But then, we (ex Catlicks) do tend to get wired-up quite a bit, don't we? Talk about life-long scars :wink:
eamonnm79

Post by eamonnm79 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:44 pm

Hey cat herder, do you not think that you should be giving martha and fxr a bit of a slap on the wrist?
I think their personalised attack on brian is completely out of order.
In fairness he only asked a reasonable question. Just because he is playing advocate does not mean he should have to listen to such vitriol.
I think brians question which was roughly (sorry if I am off a bit here brian)'if people are incapable of creating a deacent moral compass is the one they get from religion better than nothing or anything else we can suggest'
Just to be clear my answer would also be no, for the same reasons as alfonso but I think brian was looking for some informed reason to back up his opinions which understandibly may have been a bit shaky.
Brian there is a brilliant writer called stephen pinker who writes alot on human nature. His book "the blank slate" may be of assistane to you.
zhollie

Post by zhollie » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:21 pm

Being accused of employing amateurish Jesuit psychology and being a member of the "Gawd squad" is hardly tantamount to a vitriolic personal attack, however, there appears to have been a deliberate and measured misunderstanding of his intent in order to gain the upperhand in the debate. Playing devils advocate is hardly a crime, is it? Are we that fearsome of the other side that we cannot tolerate questions such as Brians? Instead of unearthing a theist we may have unmasked certain parties that, perhaps, harbour some residual fear and guilt for having abandoned 'the flock'? The question was, I would presume, carefully weighed to tease out peoples views and to stimulate some interesting discussion, yet he was subjected to something akin to an inquisitorial haranguing, the hallmark of insecurity.

I use the word inquisitorial quite deliberalely because it brings to mind and encompasses the most vile traits of the Catholic mindset; intolerance of dissent, self-righteousness and dictatorial preaching. The inquisitors, too, were not above making false allegations if it resulted in the desired outcome; the damning of the accused. Maybe the ghosts of our Catholic upbringing are not so easily exorcised.
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:50 am

eamonnm79 wrote:Hey cat herder, do you not think that you should be giving martha and fxr a bit of a slap on the wrist?

I’m glad yourself and zhollie raised your concerns about the way the above discussion went. I would really like some help around here and would be appreciative if both of you would consider moderating for a while. All that means is that you might step in with a comment or a discrete PM if you see something happening that you feel uncomfortable with. I’m sure that both of you will have the support of the other members.
This forum is very young and if we don’t set down a few ground rules it may become a place where people are reluctant to post.

From the beginning I haven’t felt comfortable with the idea of being moderator myself because, already being webmaster, it would seem to make me judge and jury around here. So, well you give it a go? :)

Here's a link to a previous discussion
http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=228

And Martha,
Martha wrote: GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK!
I'd say that everybody in here would not think this an appropriate way to respond to anyone.
zhollie

Post by zhollie » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:31 pm

CatHerder wrote:
eamonnm79 wrote:Hey cat herder, do you not think that you should be giving martha and fxr a bit of a slap on the wrist?

I’m glad yourself and zhollie raised your concerns about the way the above discussion went. I would really like some help around here and would be appreciative if both of you would consider moderating for a while. All that means is that you might step in with a comment or a discrete PM if you see something happening that you feel uncomfortable with. I’m sure that both of you will have the support of the other members.
This forum is very young and if we don’t set down a few ground rules it may become a place where people are reluctant to post.

From the beginning I haven’t felt comfortable with the idea of being moderator myself because, already being webmaster, it would seem to make me judge and jury around here. So, well you give it a go? :)

Here's a link to a previous discussion
http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=228

And Martha,
Martha wrote: GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK!
I'd say that everybody in here would not think this an appropriate way to respond to anyone.

Hi Catherder, Thanks for the offer of moderating but I'm afraid I'll have to decline. I don't believe I'm equal to the task because I don't trust myself not to become embroiled in the arguements in a partial manner. I might reconsider if you can furnish me with an iron maiden, thumbscrews, iron collars, a pillory and an assortment of chains and whips with which I could punish transgressors. Would I be allowed to ignore or reinterpret accords such as the Geneva Convention against Torture?

Seriously though, I think we are all aware of the standards which we are expected to observe. The use of profane and gratuitous insults should be prescribed and we are all mature enough to recognise the boundaries over which we cannot tread. I would hate to see new members put off by the fear of being insulted for expressing their opinions.

Perhaps Eamonn will step up to the mark?