Maybe religion is needed.

General discussions

Do some people need religion?

Yes
3
16%
No
16
84%
 
Total votes: 19
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:57 pm

Post by CatHerder » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:15 pm

zhollie wrote: Hi Catherder, Thanks for the offer of moderating but I'm afraid I'll have to decline. I don't believe I'm equal to the task because I don't trust myself not to become embroiled in the arguements in a partial manner.
Ok thanks zhollie but what is it about atheists? :) any other topic and there would be members jumping to moderate a forum. Or is it just something about being Irish?

FXR PMed me before I even noticed this thread to say that he’d had a few drinks. This I understand cos I’ve been there more than a few times my self and no matter how many times I tell myself “don’t post after the pub” I still do it.

But Martha, some of your posts seem quite aggressive, I actually find you intimidating. Ironically I had the notion that you may be religious and deliberately trying to discredit the atheist community. :? Now I feel sure that that’s not the case and I’m also pretty sure that Brian’s not a priest but some people may be devious enough to try things like that.
brianmmulligan
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Sligo

Post by brianmmulligan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:25 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this discussion. I have not been sulking - just genuinely busy. There are some specific questions in the exchange that I genuinely want to get back to later but before the analysis gets too serious I want to make these comments:

For the moment I don't think we need moderation. If members believe that contibutions are inappropriate they should say so and that may be enough for the moment. The particular exchange above took part over a very short period and no-one else had the opportunity to comment.

In regard to this exchange, I would prefer if we just let it be. For my part I felt that some comments on my contributions were rude. However, I did escalate the situation by using significant amounts of sarcasm. I should have known better. If I had left it overnight, I might have been more circumspect and others might also have joined in. So for that I apologise. Whether the others are willing to do likewise (either privately or publicly) is up to them and I won't hold it against them either way.

It is obvious that I don't agree with many people on this site on various issues. I look forward to you trying to convince me that I'm wrong.

Sincerely (no joking)
Brian
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by FXR » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:51 pm

brianmmulligan wrote:Sorry for the delay in getting back to this discussion. I have not been sulking - just genuinely busy. There are some specific questions in the exchange that I genuinely want to get back to later but before the analysis gets too serious I want to make these comments:

For the moment I don't think we need moderation. If members believe that contibutions are inappropriate they should say so and that may be enough for the moment. The particular exchange above took part over a very short period and no-one else had the opportunity to comment.

In regard to this exchange, I would prefer if we just let it be. For my part I felt that some comments on my contributions were rude. However, I did escalate the situation by using significant amounts of sarcasm. I should have known better. If I had left it overnight, I might have been more circumspect and others might also have joined in. So for that I apologise. Whether the others are willing to do likewise (either privately or publicly) is up to them and I won't hold it against them either way.

It is obvious that I don't agree with many people on this site on various issues. I look forward to you trying to convince me that I'm wrong.

Sincerely (no joking)
Feck it! I just logged on after two day and you've beaten me to the punch.

I think it may have gotten a little out of hand. I get bored after a while with people agreeing over everything and look for chances to sharpen my attack skills.

The situation was'nt helped by the fact I found really good wine for 79cent a bottle.

Sorry about that.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
brianmmulligan
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Sligo

Post by brianmmulligan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:20 pm

No problem, FXR - looking forward to "engaging" with you again in the future.
Brian
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by FXR » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:22 pm

brianmmulligan wrote:No problem, FXR - looking forward to "engaging" with you again in the future.
I've just talked to a friend of mine who is a member of opus dei and he's promised my a really good deal if I change sides. See my next post.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Martha
Posts: 1084
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:37 pm

CatHerder wrote:
But Martha, some of your posts seem quite aggressive, I actually find you intimidating. Ironically I had the notion that you may be religious and deliberately trying to discredit the atheist community. :? Now I feel sure that that’s not the case and I’m also pretty sure that Brian’s not a priest but some people may be devious enough to try things like that.
Hello CatHerder,

Yes, I agree I can be a bit aggressive at times, and I apologise for my OTT outbursts. I'm normally quite diplomatic, but always assertive, so I can't do much about the way my assertiveness might sometimes make others feel intimidated :wink: Its just that I'm a woman in a very macho culture and so I do feel provoked from time to time... and no, I'm not in the least religious (I'm far too evolved for such dependency)... though I was pretty convinced at one stage, that Brian M was a cleric.

Re your Moderator offer - thanks, but I think I agree with Brian on this one, that we really don't need moderators here. I mean we're all adults and we can just take the forum as we find it (as I do with the Internet in general). If you (as Webmaster) don't lke a particular poster, can't you just block him/her - just as the rest of us can ignore or respond to whatever posters we like?
alfonso
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Post by alfonso » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:47 pm

I think as long as we don't have a live population of believers in this forum there will be no need for moderation.

Martha, kudos to you. Not sure what other men (around here or elsewhere) think, but I'm personally sick and tired of women who lack character. So keep the assertiveness, please ;)
Martha
Posts: 1084
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:55 pm

alfonso wrote:I think as long as we don't have a live population of believers in this forum there will be no need for moderation.

Martha, kudos to you. Not sure what other men (around here or elsewhere) think, but I'm personally sick and tired of women who lack character. So keep the assertiveness, please ;)
Ah thanks, Alfonso, you just made my day :lol: And btw, I've removed my "offensive" avatar, but can't replace it right now (with an even more offensive one - just kiddin) with the one I want, but will do so ASAP. Yes, I'm serious about us grown-ups not needing moderators... and I suspect there is a whiff of the believers in this forum: but I'll convert 'em all in my own assertive way. Now, where did I leave that screwdriver.....
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

You think you've got problems..

Post by FXR » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:13 pm

Martha wrote:
Ah thanks, Alfonso, you just made my day :lol: And btw, I've removed my "offensive" avatar, but can't replace it right now (with an even more offensive one - just kiddin) with the one I want, but will do so ASAP. Yes, I'm serious about us grown-ups not needing moderators... and I suspect there is a whiff of the believers in this forum: but I'll convert 'em all in my own assertive way. Now, where did I leave that screwdriver.....
I agree: the world needs more assertive women. I thought you're avatar was quite funny. My skull and crossbones is supposed to revolve but its stuck in gear. Problems, problems...
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Martha
Posts: 1084
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:37 pm

Hey guys! Like my new avatar?
FXR wrote:The situation was'nt helped by the fact I found really good wine for 79cent a bottle.
Well? where can I buy some of that stuff? Don't keep it a secret :roll:
Post Reply