Fort Hood Shootings - Religiously Motivated?

General discussions
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Fort Hood Shootings - Religiously Motivated?

Post by Dev » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:08 pm

You are all familiar with what happened on the US army base in Texas.

A psychiatrist soldier killed thirteen and wounded thirty in a violent rampage. He was a Muslim with Palestinian roots.

A US army base given the current political climate and the tendency for soldiers to have crude political attitudes and opinions could easily be a hostile environment and one that could brew anger and feelings of revenge.

So the elephant in the room, was this guy a vanilla lunatic or a religious lunatic?

My take is I don't know enough from what I've read which is just a few captions and a front pager or two. I think most people seem unsure as well.

Thoughts?
lostexpectation

Re: Fort Hood Shootings - Religiously Motivated?

Post by lostexpectation » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:33 pm

well you could say nationalistic, but more likley regionalistic, his parents were from jordan i think,
you then ask if he believed in a caliphate, territory

religion usually isn't the point or the purpose its just a language...

he talked of suicide bombings as military tactic as opposed to some sort spiritual sacrifice, he was obviously at the end of his tether and wanted to talk out as many soldiers as he could.
test
Rigsby

Post by Rigsby » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:00 pm

The reports say that he shouted "allahu akbar" before he started shooting. Thats the arabic for "God is Great" and its the battlecry for muslims when they wage jihad. It was clearly a religiously motivated attack.

This attack was inevitable, as the USA has absorbed a lot of muslim immigrants in the last 20 years. It shows clearly the obvious dangers of largescale immigration from muslim countries.
Rigsby

Post by Rigsby » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:04 pm

One thing I just thought of is that since the shooter was a soldier and is currently in custody and the attack took place on a military base, then the prosecution will have to be a court martial rather than a civilian court. The case might be heard in camera. And the army will execute the death sentence themselves on the base. Am I right?
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:33 am

There is now evidence to suggest that maybe this was religiously motivated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/us/10 ... ml?_r=1&hp
washington
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by washington » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Reported on the news this morning that the FBI had checked this guy out some time ago as he was posting some extreme(?) statements on the net...how come they let him continue in that position if they knew of his political sympathies?
Rigsby

Post by Rigsby » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:58 pm

washington wrote:Reported on the news this morning that the FBI had checked this guy out some time ago as he was posting some extreme(?) statements on the net...how come they let him continue in that position if they knew of his political sympathies?
Because he could sue for descrimination or harassment if they did anything.

In america you cant touch anyone spewing religious hate. If you could, then half the evangelicals would be in jail.

TBH americans seem to put up with regular mall massacres by deranged white guys. Lets see if theyll put up with massacres by deranged muslims.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:43 pm

americans seem to put up with regular mall massacres
Could you define for us what you mean by "put up with" please.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Rigsby

Post by Rigsby » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:55 pm

Ygern wrote:
americans seem to put up with regular mall massacres
Could you define for us what you mean by "put up with" please.
Tolerate without taking any legal measures to prevent future incidents, like for example restricting access to assault weapouns.

Why, what did you think I meant?
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:55 pm

I'd love to know where this thread is going, okay so he was religiously motivated, he wasnt the first he wont be the last, they are thousands other cases like it. Fine, it does highlight the fallacy of fundamental religions, but at the end of the day it doesn't do much to prove the non-existence of god.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke