Which Religion Annoys You the Most?

General discussions
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Which Religion Annoys You the Most?

Post by Dev » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:36 am

The approach atheists here take to religions is usually either hostile or apathetic.

For me it isn't Islam or the Catholicism it is Scientology. There is just something, probably the money factor that I find deeply offensive and whatever about the ridiculousness of other said religions I find Scientology seems to occupy a special level of pure nonsense.

If I was to guess I would say FXR would pick the CCL and Fear and Lost would say Islam. Amirite?

Which one grinds your teeth the most?
Last edited by Dev on Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Which religion annoys you the most?

Post by Beebub » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:04 am

If scientology was sticking its nose into my children's education then it would be Scientology, but I've no real experience of it and it doesn't encroach or impact on my life at all. Would it were so with CCL! The catholic church invades my life in so many ways on a daily basis that it has to be them for me.
CandieMalone
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CandieMalone » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:01 pm

It would be Scientology for me as well, for several reasons. The first problem I have with the “Church” is the fact you have to pay to rise to various levels and only at the very top do you learn about their true belief system (Xenu, alien spirits inhabiting humans, etc.) and by that time, you are probably fairly brainwashed. Fair enough, if you are foolish enough to buy into it, then you only have yourself to blame for your financial losses. However, (this would be my second problem with the organisation), people who have left the “Church” have reportedly been harassed and slandered if they spoke negatively about their experience. Following on from that, my biggest problem with the Church of Scientology is its litigious nature. They have brought former members to court claiming slander and continuously threaten legal action against TV or print media if the COS deems it to be derogatory to the “Church”. When the blasphemy law debate started this summer, the Church of Scientology was the first organisation that came into my mind that would use the law to their advantage.
Undoubtedly, the Catholic Church has done more harm and continues to do so, but I think it’s also important to stop young religions from getting too strong, and perhaps by doing so, we will avoid CCL-type abuses in the future.
The one benefit to religions like scientology and Mormonism is that we are able to track the development of religion from small cult-like organisations to becoming accepted as “truth” by millions of people. This allows us to better understand how we have the various religious beliefs permeating the world now.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." Albert Einstein
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:05 pm

You're spot on there Dev. For all pervading insidious malevolence and the longest running history of crimes against humanity the CCL is way ahead of all the others. If I wrote a book about the CCL I'd make the title The Prosperity of Lies. It's built on lies, monumental hypocrisy and just about the most twisted delusional ideas possible. It's a celebration of suffering, masochism, guilt and punishment with the bonus of a seat in the UN, billions of dollars, and legions of politicians to spread their poison. If you dismantle the CCL you’re on the way to dismantling all organised religionism. The privileged position the CCL has gained for itself by bloodletting and bullshit regarding tax fee status, education control, protection against criticism and faux moral guardians sets the standard for all the other religions to be able to claim the same.

I don't agree about Scientology: the more diluted and splintered belief becomes the better. I'd have preferred Scientology to have been included in the government consultations because then it can be used to point up how wacky they all are.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Apart from Catholicism which is obviosuly my first enemy, I hate buddhists.
They were the first to use suicide bombing in modern warfare, they are carrying out a vicious genocidal campaign against the Tamils of Sri Lanka, they campaign around the world for Nepal to be given back to them as a theocratic state, and they are puke-makingly smug and self-righteous.
My friendly neighbourhood buddhist was recently elected to the Board of Management of the local school but then, his kid had just made her Holy Communion.
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by IrishAndroid » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:43 pm

Christianity in general. Those xians just love acting morally superior. For the record, worshiping a 2000yr dead jewish preacher and practicing ritual fake cannibalism does not allow you to play a "Moral high ground" card in arguments.
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:03 pm

I think Scientology is so out there that the percentage of people who take it seriously is insignificant. Its influence on our everyday lives as a nation is minimal.

I'd have to go with the one that affects me most. Living in Ireland, there is no prizes for guessing which one.

I don’t "Hate" Catholicism per se, but I do dislike its interference in our school system, the crimes carried out and covered up by it adherents and the general message that having faith in something because "someone tells you so" is a good thing.

Any faith that stifles free thinking and seeking logical answers, through evidence, to humanity’s questions is not a system of faith to be proud of. However this could be applied to almost all religions.
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Libetarianism. Mainly because so many American Atheists identify as libetarian. They release their scorn on fundamentalist religious types for not thinking for themselves on one side of their mouths, while preaching free market fundamentalism from the other.

This is also one of the most damaging religions to have ever existed. Jut look at the net benefits of market anarchy as we're experiencing them now.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:37 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:Libetarianism.
That's not a religion. It's a political viewpoint.
Mainly because so many American Atheists identify as libetarian. They release their scorn on fundamentalist religious types for not thinking for themselves on one side of their mouths, while preaching free market fundamentalism from the other.
Do you think it's possible to be a Libertarian and not a fundamentalist, or do you think that all Libertarians necessarily hold rigid and simplistic views about the market?
This is also one of the most damaging religions to have ever existed. Jut look at the net benefits of market anarchy as we're experiencing them now.
What does that have to do with Libertarianism? There was a colossal amount of government interference involved in the current economic crisis, and even more so in attempts to "fix" it.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:01 pm

Well it’s CCL for me – if some other religion was so in my face all this time it would be them, but as I was brought up a catholic and I’m living in Ireland it’s CCL – may they rot in hell.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.