Which Religion Annoys You the Most?

General discussions
munsterdevil

Re: Which religion annoys you the most?

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:40 am

Mormons, it's like a practical joke gone wrong.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
HylandPaddy

Re: Which Religion Annoys You the Most?

Post by HylandPaddy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:34 am

Although it’s not a religion per se, I would have to say that the New Age Movement really gets on my tits. It’s more anti-science than mainstream religion and it lures laypeople into their delusion with pseudo-scientific-babble-bullshit, that makes we want to start stabbing eyes with forks. It really is damaging to science and critical thinking, they seed disinformation and peddle their snake-oil to vulnerable and ignorant people. Most people aren’t gullible, they’re just scientific illiterates and they are preyed on by these nutcases.
At least with the majority of average Irish lip-service Catholics, religion stayed for the most part out of the way of science, but the New Age people are mental. How disconnected from reality to you have to be to really believe that stuff? I think it’s more to do with balancing the bank account than balancing some-ones “aura”.

When you see someone spouting their religious beliefs you can rationalise in your head that this person was indoctrinated at youth etc. but when a homeopath or psychic comes on you wonder how they really believe these things. I don’t think I’m paranoid in saying that it’s all a massive scam, if I were genuinely psychic I would take every scientific test to prove to people that I was, and seeing as psychic ability has never been shown, I think I am justified in saying that they’re all lying bastards.

Although the RCC has even more mental ideas, it has learned not to fuck with scientific evidence anymore, Galileo and Copernicus to name but a few.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Which religion annoys you the most?

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:37 am

funkyderek wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:Libetarianism.
That's not a religion. It's a political viewpoint.
That depends how you want to define the word. It is becoming very popular to refer to faith based political viewpoints as religions and that's how new definitions are born.
funkyderek wrote:
Mainly because so many American Atheists identify as libetarian. They release their scorn on fundamentalist religious types for not thinking for themselves on one side of their mouths, while preaching free market fundamentalism from the other.
Do you think it's possible to be a Libertarian and not a fundamentalist, or do you think that all Libertarians necessarily hold rigid and simplistic views about the market?
I believe in freedom of the market can be a good thing but don't think it works in all circumstances. In that sense you could call me a non-fundamentalist libetarian, so yes of course you can. What separates me from a fundamentalism is the fact that I'd give some thought to any given scenario and evaluate whether free market politics is the way to go rather than automatically assume it is due to some underlying fundamental belief.

My point is that there are so Ron Paul supporting atheists out there, particularly in youtube land, who do hold such fundamentalist positions. I find it utterly incompatible with the scientific skepticism they claim is the basis for their atheism.
funkyderek wrote:
This is also one of the most damaging religions to have ever existed. Jut look at the net benefits of market anarchy as we're experiencing them now.
What does that have to do with Libertarianism? There was a colossal amount of government interference involved in the current economic crisis, and even more so in attempts to "fix" it.
That's what the libetarians are all claiming. Doesn't make it true. This crisis was clearly caused by a lack of regulation in the financial sector. Lehman's didn't collapse because of too much regulation. The Libetarian argument that the sub-prime mortgages came about because of government pressure to provide housing in disadvantaged areas is a complete red herring. The problem wasn't too much sub-prime housing, it was the fact that the sub-prime debt was packaged up and sold on in such a way that the level of risk was not recognised.

I don't want to hijack this thread with a debate on libetarianism, but if you want to continue the conversation feel free to start another thread.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
washington
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by washington » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:38 pm

Well today its defo the CCL and it's kiddy-fiddlers and it's smug, pretentious, corrupt, deviant, deluded, sexually dysfunctional/obsessed, lying bastard bishops/archbishops/cardinals/popes and it's weasel-worded apologies/apologists and those father trendies who are dragged into the media to spout their bullshit in defence of the crimes of their colleagues...and not confronted by any media bod...
apart from that I'm OK...think I need to go for a lie-down.
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GT » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:10 am

Hey Dev,

Not defending the scientology folks but how many children would you guess their ministers have raped and buggered in Ireland.

Feck all compared to our the catholic church....reckon they are in the thousands.

Scientology is full of shit but so are all the other religions but the scale of harm in IRL is minimal compared to the RCC. Also most members appear to be adults going in so they deserve what they get.

GT
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
CandieMalone
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CandieMalone » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:12 am

I can’t speak for Dev, but I answered Scientology because the question was “Which religion annoys you the most?” not “Which religion does the most harm?” or “Which one causes the most fear?” I view scientology like gnats flying around my face. They are very annoying, but, for the most part, harmless (unless in your efforts to swat them away you don’t notice you are about to fall off a cliff). I view Christianity and Islam like pits of poisonous snakes. There is a difference in annoyance and fear and that is how I chose my answer.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." Albert Einstein
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:33 pm

GT wrote:Hey Dev,

Not defending the scientology folks but how many children would you guess their ministers have raped and buggered in Ireland.

Feck all compared to our the catholic church....reckon they are in the thousands.

Scientology is full of shit but so are all the other religions but the scale of harm in IRL is minimal compared to the RCC. Also most members appear to be adults going in so they deserve what they get.

GT
I'd agree that the CCL is more damaging. However as mentioned above I'm looking to differentiate between being annoying and being evil.

e.g. My little sister annoys me more than Hitler.

I hope that makes sense at least it is the way I see it.

I would be prepared to make the argument that Islam is worse than the CCL. Which is the most harmful religion would be another thread perhaps you should create it, I can guarantee it would be interesting. Atheist Ireland would be very split on the issue. Regarding Scientology though many members though are harassed if they leave this is not the case with the CCL most of us here are ex-Catholic and we have never directly been harassed by the staff or the customers of the CCL. While I agree most members are adults going in but once they realize it is full of crap it is hardly fair to psychologically abuse them when they leave.