General discussions
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Dawkins/Grayling debate being streamed live online tonight

Post by adamd164 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:08 pm

"Is atheism the new fundamentalism?"

http://www.intelligencesquared.com/live

For the first time, Intelligence Squared will be live-streaming a debate. In partnership with livestation.com, from 6.45pm (GMT) on Sunday 29th November, you will be able to watch online as Richard Dawkins takes on Richard Harries, the former bishop of Oxford, at this event.

Event Information:
Does God exist? Has atheism replaced religion as the new faith of the secular age? Are today's atheists as blinkered and dogmatic as they claim religious believers to be?

Wellington Squared is a new partnership between Wellington College, one of the country's most innovative schools, and Intelligence Squared, the world's leading forum for debate. We'll be bringing the greatest authorities to Wellington to battle it out over the crucial issues of the day and you'll get the chance to cast your vote at the end of the evening.

The debate will take place at: Wellington College, Crowthorne, Berkshire.

Doors open at 6:00 pm. The debate starts at 7:00 pm and finishes at 8:30 pm.

Speakers for the motion:

Richard Harries Former Bishop of Oxford.

Charles Moore Former editor of the Daily Telegraph and The Spectator.

Speakers against the motion:

Richard Dawkins Professor Emeritus at Oxford University and best-selling author of 'The God Delusion'.

A C Grayling Professor of Philosophy at the University of London.

Chair:

Dr Anthony Seldon Master of Wellington College.
FXR

Re: Dawkins/Grayling debate being streamed live online tonight

Post by FXR » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:52 pm

The streaming is not working so far. It seems to be overloaded.

It's showing the Hitch and Fry slaughter of the CCL instead.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR

Post by FXR » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:11 pm

It's up now finally.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:52 pm

If it was streamed it will be youtubed, anyone come across linkages yet?

I would be very eager to see this.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:46 pm

The IQ2 Live channel streams old shows from their archives, so its worth clicking on it from time to time to see if they have updated it:
http://www.intelligencesquared.com/live
Fry / Hitchens debate has only been posted in full recently, so it might take a week or so before the Dawkins / Grayling one is available.
They have a Youtube channel here
http://www.youtube.com/iqsquared
which you could subscribe to as well, again, the debate isn't up yet on there either.

It was perhaps not quite the slam-dunk that the Hitch/Fry outing was but on the whole the theists were roundly trounced. This was not because the debating team of Grayling & Dawkins were in any way lacking but merely because the topic for debate was a bit nebulous - I mean, very few people (outside of Daily Mail readers) really think that atheists are fundamentalists.

Harries strikes me as a thoughtful man who tries to be open and honest and not to say preposterous things, but many of his arguments were a bit weak and easily refuted. Moore on the other hand blustered and gibbered and resorted to a Godwin within the first 5 minutes, likening (I'm not kidding!) Richard Dawkins to a Commandant with a harsh probing searchlight...

The moderator was clearly on the side of the theists, and seemed bemused at the idea of live streaming and Twitter and seemed a bit petulant at times at the seeming one-sidedness of both the debate and the audience.

Grayling and Dawkins seemed to be in their element and had no problem batting away some of the more absurd notions and allegations raised their opponents, but I thought that Grayling was particularly good, making his points with great clarity and good sense.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
peter63
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by peter63 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:13 pm

ATHEISM IS THE NEW FUNDAMENTALISM
Watch the debate here http://www.intelligencesquared.com/iq2- ... amentalism (Duration: 100 minutes)

Youtube http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=iqs ... _3d0q1LDa0 1 0f 12
“God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed” Luis Buñuel. Quoted in The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks Yern and Peter. Will report back later on with my take on the debate.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:06 pm

It certainly wasn't the slam dunk of the Hitchens/Fry debate but the Bishop made some good points but failed to convince. I thought Grayling made some good contributions. Dawkins didn't really say a lot that couldn't have been gathered from what he has already said in other talks and debates but he entertains nontheless.

Audience questions are starting to annoy me, even the atheist ones. Most of the time they either didn't pay attention to the debate or have an agenda as opposed to being genuinely inquisitive and often they don't phrase what they are saying in to a question. This can make an attempted answer difficult. Some questions were interesting but maybe not worth the watch.

The moderator, I can't stand his voice.

I would prefer if the debates were given more time and less questions for afterwards.